Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How to fix VAR ?

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
I think yesterday is a good example of why VAR is so broken.

VAR gives Chelsea a pen that probably correct, 50/50 at best. If the ref doesn't see it and it’s is a pen, then it’s doing exactly what it ought to do. You have fans outraged and moaning that the ref didn’t give it in the first place (which is a stupid thing to moan about).

VAR corrects the ref’s decision to give us a pen for a handball that hit the players face. Again it was the right decision, again people raging because the rules dictate a drop ball restart, and they think it should be a corner.

We have got to the point of arguing about absolutely every minor action by the ref, even ones that don’t have a serious bearing on the game. Worse, it’s being argued by people who have no idea about the actual laws of the game (fans which is understandable, but also the media, which isn’t, it’s their job) and who get angry over injustices that are absolutely the correct decision in the laws of the game. The media set the tone for this and they all need to be better at understanding the game if they are going to commentate on it.

The argument for consistency as well ignores that all these incidents happen within a given context. I know folk are annoyed Dunk got sent off for abusing the ref and wonder why Haaland didn’t, but I can fully understand Hooper not wanting to make his error worse by then sending off Haaland for his behaviour.

I don’t care how much the refs get paid, absolutely nobody can work under the immense scrutiny and pressure they currently face. It doesn't matter how well you do, a couple of mistakes and players are screaming at you. I honestly don’t understand how they manage to keep refs in this game and if we aren’t careful, soon they won’t be able to.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I think yesterday is a good example of why VAR is so broken.

VAR gives Chelsea a pen that probably correct, 50/50 at best. If the ref doesn't see it and it’s is a pen, then it’s doing exactly what it ought to do. You have fans outraged and moaning that the ref didn’t give it in the first place (which is a stupid thing to moan about).

VAR corrects the ref’s decision to give us a pen for a handball that hit the players face. Again it was the right decision, again people raging because the rules dictate a drop ball restart, and they think it should be a corner.

We have got to the point of arguing about absolutely every minor action by the ref, even ones that don’t have a serious bearing on the game. Worse, it’s being argued by people who have no idea about the actual laws of the game (fans which is understandable, but also the media, which isn’t, it’s their job) and who get angry over injustices that are absolutely the correct decision in the laws of the game. The media set the tone for this and they all need to be better at understanding the game if they are going to commentate on it.

The argument for consistency as well ignores that all these incidents happen within a given context. I know folk are annoyed Dunk got sent off for abusing the ref and wonder why Haaland didn’t, but I can fully understand Hooper not wanting to make his error worse by then sending off Haaland for his behaviour.

I don’t care how much the refs get paid, absolutely nobody can work under the immense scrutiny and pressure they currently face. It doesn't matter how well you do, a couple of mistakes and players are screaming at you. I honestly don’t understand how they manage to keep refs in this game and if we aren’t careful, soon they won’t be able to.
You're right. VAR is broken, because it is breaking football. Football is becoming no longer about the football - but about refereeing and technology.

If yesterdays match had been played pre-VAR, people would have a good moan for a few minutes (if that), and then forgotten it. It was only the huge howlers that caused talking points for weeks - now it's 3-4 things every game.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Refs get £70k-100k per annum basic. They're on the pitch facing vitriol from the biggest crowds in UK sport and 22 Premier League players, of whom many will earn more than their annual salary in one week. I'm not sure you're going to get great quality....and it shows. The Premier League is one of the funders of the PGMOL. When referees prove themselves in the EFL the Premier League should then pay them a lot more than 70-100k pa to ref Premier League games imo, the Prem can afford it. If they turn out to be a bit shit demote them to the EFL and back to a lower salary.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Refs get £70k-100k per annum basic. They're on the pitch facing vitriol from the biggest crowds in UK sport and 22 Premier League players, of whom many will earn more than their annual salary in one week. I'm not sure you're going to get great quality....and it shows. The Premier League is one of the funders of the PGMOL. When referees prove themselves in the EFL the Premier League should then pay them a lot more than 70-100k pa to ref Premier League games imo, the Prem can afford it. If they turn out to be a bit shit demote them to the EFL and back to a lower salary.
Pay officials (on-field and VAR) £750k a year and you just might get some players saying I’ll give it a go. Dedicated, fit for purpose technology together with absolute streamlining of communication would help too. Alternatively just BIN the f***ing lot and deal with on-field shitness as it happens.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is the PGMOL fit for purpose though? Standards seem to be getting worse, confusion seems to reign, and this is after numerous attempts to improve it.

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
The argument for consistency is at the heart of the matter. Whether it’s players kicking the ball away, stopping a quick free kick or shouting in the face of the ref.

The context for both Dunk and Haaland was that they thought the referee had made a mistake and told them so in flowery language. Dunk got sent off, Haaland didn’t. If Haaland said things that warranted being sent off he should have gone. The fact that Hooper had made a mistake is not relevant.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The argument for consistency is at the heart of the matter. Whether it’s players kicking the ball away, stopping a quick free kick or shouting in the face of the ref.

The context for both Dunk and Haaland was that they thought the referee had made a mistake and told them so in flowery language. Dunk got sent off, Haaland didn’t. If Haaland said things that warranted being sent off he should have gone. The fact that Hooper had made a mistake is not relevant.
Consistently has always been an issue since when I started watching football 40 plus years ago. I don’t have an issue with refs being subjective; sometimes different games need different approaches.

My main issue these days is the mess which is VAR.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Wolves fans at The Emirates...
407459027_742480547920226_7208328549185262251_n.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here