Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How to fix offside / VAR issue.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I disagree. It has put the advantage with the defenders again, whereas it used to be benefit of doubt with the attackers. We need to go back to that. I'd say there needs to be clear space for it to be offside.
Yeah I think an allowance (like 6" or 12") could help there.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
I am more upset about Estupinans goal being disallowed than I would be if we conceded a goal that was mm offside. I think VAR should only come into play if the ref is unsure, and that being the case it doesn't need some idiot at the other end of the country controlling it, just let him go to the monitor.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I wonder how things would be if we implemented something like that here. Even take it further and make it a condition of TV rights deals that the commentators/analysts were not allowed to pass judgement on refereeing decisions - only note what the decision was, not whether they agree/think it's right or wrong/what decision they would have made.
I don't like the sound of that. Sounds like Russia.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
I am more upset about Estupinans goal being disallowed than I would be if we conceded a goal that was mm offside. I think VAR should only come into play if the ref is unsure, and that being the case it doesn't need some idiot at the other end of the country controlling it, just let him go to the monitor.
Rugby works like this. There was some excellent use of video and 4th official input in the six nations games this week. Rugby Ref is always in charge and will say things like 'onfield design is try, but can you show if the ball was held up or cleanly grounded?. Cameras role and ref says do have another angle? They say role the frames back please etc. Refs also consult linemen and say what did you see, and are you happy? But ultimately its the refs on field dicesion. With Estupinans goal the lino was happy it was onside and I strongly suspect r
the ref would have been too, therefore goal.

Goal line technology in football is a bit different, but there doesn't seem to be any problems there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't know if it's still the case, but a few years back when I was still watching NFL, the authorities had an iron grip on the game, and managers were not allowed to comment on the performance of the officials (of course some would occasionally, and then be hit with fines).

I wonder how things would be if we implemented something like that here. Even take it further and make it a condition of TV rights deals that the commentators/analysts were not allowed to pass judgement on refereeing decisions - only note what the decision was, not whether they agree/think it's right or wrong/what decision they would have made.

I think a lot of football discussion is driven by the commentators and pundits on the TV games. It shapes how people view the decisions in the games they watch live, it shapes the discussion of the week. If conditioned to not think it's perfectly normal for people without any refereeing training or full understanding of the current laws and how the authorities want them implemented to pass judgement on refereeing decisions, if instead we're conditioned to 'play to the referee's whistle/decison' perhaps that woud help.
It would be great if the commentators, expert summarisers, talking heads and rent a mouths actually knew the laws they were pontificating on.

I'd also cut out the super slow-mo.
There was one challenge, possibly Utd, that looked absolutely disgusting but in real time it was unfortunate at best.
I'm sure someone somewhere is absolutely incensed by the injustice despite nobody else even mentioning it.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here