Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How to fix offside / VAR issue.

RowZ

Sep 12, 2022
Offside is easy to fix.

Do it ALL by feet - shoulders, head, arms don't matter. Just feet.

Put a little microchip in the front, side, and back of each boot, and get some radio waves flying about - done.
(By feet, tech wouldn't really be needed, as level can be always either onside or either offside - i don't care which - just want consistency.

So what if "Level" is creating inconsistency? "Spotto Bollocko Level." Do SB level as offside for the first half of season, and then as onside for second half, or, is onside for the team with most corners, or, the most possession in opposing half.

The not interfering with play gig; 15m away from ball action and didn't pull defenders out of position, or off pitch = exempt.

The current mess really needs to be changed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Offside is easy to fix.

Do it ALL by feet - shoulders, head, arms don't matter. Just feet.

Put a little microchip in the front, side, and back of each boot, and get some radio waves flying about - done.
If you're going to simplify it to just feet, then one chip per boot is enough. But you still need someone to say which attaching player's chips to use, and judging by Estupinan's disallowed goal, they'd be capable of getting that wrong.

The current mess really needs to be changed.
VAR is a mess, but I don't think the offside decisions are that big of an issue (this weekend aside). Seeing goals ruled out for a player being an inch offside is annoying, but not the worst part of VAR.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
VAR is a mess, but I don't think the offside decisions are that big of an issue (this weekend aside). Seeing goals ruled out for a player being an inch offside is annoying, but not the worst part of VAR.
I think the offside ones are the worst myself. This is where the 'instant celebration' aspect is most impactful - whereas before the glance to the lino was all it took before going mental. Now.... There aren't many other goals ruled out for other reasons now that they have sort of done away with fouls and handballs in the build up? The stuff about penalties and red cards is annoying, but rarely has the same psychological impact as scoring what everyone thinks is a perfectly good goal, and having it chalked off by something no-one could see.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
The solution is already available. The Premier league will probably now fast track the same semi automatic VAR system FIFA used at the World Cup.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
How to fix VAR issue? Get rid, its ruining the game

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
As has been said several times in these threads, the answer is easy. Get rid for offsides, keep for:

Ball over line
Checking red cards (only if awarded by ref)
Checking for penalties

By far the worst thing about VAR is checking for post-goal infringements, bin that off and it becomes fairly inoffensive

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Keep Goal Line technology.

Have VAR for the ref to check a screen if he is unsure, or for clear and obvious mistakes highlighted to the ref within 10 seconds for the ref to review. All decisions with ref.

Simple

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Keep Goal Line technology.

Have VAR for the ref to check a screen if he is unsure, or for clear and obvious mistakes highlighted to the ref within 10 seconds for the ref to review. All decisions with ref.

Simple
It’s so simple. 👍👍. But then of course people like Lee Mason and the rest would lose their jobs
We just can’t have that can we

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Either add more cameras along the pitch that are just for VAR, put the chip in the ball like at the World Cup and get some AI running to automate the process. Any verdict it comes to gets checked by a couple of humans to check it is correct or not.

Or bin it off and instead have 4 linos. One on each side of each half. More eyes on the pitch.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Either add more cameras along the pitch that are just for VAR, put the chip in the ball like at the World Cup and get some AI running to automate the process. Any verdict it comes to gets checked by a couple of humans to check it is correct or not.

Or bin it off and instead have 4 linos. One on each side of each half. More eyes on the pitch.

My conspiracy theory is that Refs are deliberately/subconsciously making VAR seem bad, in an attempt to delay AI from taking their jobs.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

What if linos opposite each other don't agree? More eyes on the pitch = more chaos?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
If you're going to simplify it to just feet, then one chip per boot is enough. But you still need someone to say which attaching player's chips to use, and judging by Estupinan's disallowed goal, they'd be capable of getting that wrong.

I disagree - it's utterly infuriating waiting 3/4 bloody minutes for VAR to decide whether a goal is offside or not - especially when in the stadium. At least, pre-VAR, if you saw a flag up when the goal went in, you knew the goal wasn't going to stand. Whether it was actually offside or not was a matter of debate and discussion after the game (if at the game)

I just don't see the point in var - ultimately human decision-making and therefore error still comes into it (but in a far more infuriating manner); the very thing it was supposed to eradicate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here