Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How to beat the rail strike (Colchester and Forest)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Was considering driving to Lewes as usual and getting the seagulls travel coach from the prison but its really expensive - £30 for the three of us for a five minute ride is extortionate - going to risk the shuttle instead I think. Getting to the ground "should" hopefully be ok as should be able to get to Lewes by about 6pm but its the trip home that I fear will be a nightmare. Be interesting to see if everything will go to and from the Amex or whether the shuttle bus will go to & from Falmer station.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What happened to the old days when bus companies put on a relief bus for busy routes? I have often wondered why they do not run a shuttle Falmer to Lewes bus station for a couple of buses which on the return would pick up at Falmer station limited stop to Brighton centre or station.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Train from HH to Brighton should be ok, what's the walk like from Brighton station to Amex? 40 mins?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Catch a 2 to the Racecourse, and then use P & R.

I'd really like to arrive on the same day. Number 2 goes all around the houses. You cannot rely on buses for timing.

http://www.buses.co.uk/travel/service.aspx?serviceId=1147

Most likely and most hopeful would be the 700 into Brighton and then a connection. But where as the buses that the 700 connect to are full (past experience).

https://bustimes.org.uk/services/set_6-700-I-y08

Still stuck. I've tried cycling, but it is a rotten route from Brighton to Falmer.

Number 25

http://www.buses.co.uk/travel/service.aspx?serviceId=1168 This bus did not arrive for ages, but then lots of them arrived but were all full up at Churchill Square. Gawd knows what the queues are like for the 25 going back to Brighton?

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What happened to the old days when bus companies put on a relief bus for busy routes? I have often wondered why they do not run a shuttle Falmer to Lewes bus station for a couple of buses which on the return would pick up at Falmer station limited stop to Brighton centre or station.

The bus company is the same as the train company, Go Ahead. Which is why the bus drivers are also voting to come out on strike.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
I live in the Midlands and usually travel to the Amex by train into Marylebone, then tube to London Bridge where I catch a train to Hassocks, where I pick up a Seagulls Travel coach. Will the strike also be affecting services from London Bridge to Hassocks too? The Trainline website suggests that trains will be running (on the 12th, for the Forest game) but I thought I'd double check with Sussex-based NSCers who are far more familiar than I am with train travel in Sussex. Thank you.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Would be grand if the large number of 6/8 seater taxis in B&H could be given special dispensation to pickup from the Amex and operate on the Turkish 'dolmus' shared taxi principle. Take a fiver off every passenger, with drop off points at the Steine and and the station. Everybody wins.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Was considering driving to Lewes as usual and getting the seagulls travel coach from the prison but its really expensive - £30 for the three of us for a five minute ride is extortionate - going to risk the shuttle instead I think. Getting to the ground "should" hopefully be ok as should be able to get to Lewes by about 6pm but its the trip home that I fear will be a nightmare. Be interesting to see if everything will go to and from the Amex or whether the shuttle bus will go to & from Falmer station.

Why not hop on 28 or 29 bus and show your match/season ticket , parking is free in Lewes car parks after 6.pm

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I live in the Midlands and usually travel to the Amex by train into Marylebone, then tube to London Bridge where I catch a train to Hassocks, where I pick up a Seagulls Travel coach. Will the strike also be affecting services from London Bridge to Hassocks too? The Trainline website suggests that trains will be running (on the 12th, for the Forest game) but I thought I'd double check with Sussex-based NSCers who are far more familiar than I am with train travel in Sussex. Thank you.

I'm in London and will be (hopefully) traveling down on train via London Bridge. Southern website has the details here: http://www.southernrailway.com/your-journey/strike

"A revised timetable Southern and Gatwick Express service will operate between London Victoria and Gatwick Airport / Brighton. Thameslink services are expected to run to the normal timetable. Earlswood and Salfords stations will have no service. Coulsdon South, Merstham, Horley and Redhill will only be served at certain times of day"

So that should be fine. I'm planning to train down to Brighton, then work it out from there.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Article suggests that the bus strike could be as early as next Friday;

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1466...ort_strikes_as_workers_go_to_war_with_bosses/

Bus drivers and engineers strike, possibly as soon as next Friday, over allegedly "draconian management" and a "culture of fear". Unite said around 800 of its members at Brighton and Hove Buses and its subsidiary Metrobus, in Crawley, voted 71.4 per cent in favour of strike action, and 83.3 per cent backing industrial action short of a strike. Talks were ongoing yesterday to determine whether strike would go ahead. Brighton and Hove Buses chief executive Martin Harris challenged the union's ballot figures and denied staff were bullied into working overtime.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
I'm in London and will be (hopefully) traveling down on train via London Bridge. Southern website has the details here: http://www.southernrailway.com/your-journey/strike

So that should be fine. I'm planning to train down to Brighton, then work it out from there.

That's really helpful RW, thank you. You might want to consider Seagulls Travel as a one-off:

http://www.eventtravel-hub.co.uk/ma...-friday-12th-august-2016---ko-1945-1311-p.asp

I've just renewed my season ticket with them for the 5th successive year and I can't speak highly enough of them. It's a stress free experience, circumventing the Brighton-Falmer train crush. True, it's more expensive than relying on the inbuilt BHA season ticket travel subsidy, but at my age I prefer it to the train or park and ride. Seagulls Travel's Hassocks to the Amex coach takes about 20/25 mins (a bit longer in heavy traffic), the coach parks about 30 yards from the South Stand and (from Hassocks) it costs about a tenner for a one-off return fare.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
700 to Madeira Drive and shuttle buses looks favourite. Trepidation about anything to do with buses.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Why not hop on 28 or 29 bus and show your match/season ticket , parking is free in Lewes car parks after 6.pm

That's a good shout, always drive the Lewes and get the train so parking isn't an issue as never use the station one anyway. Although how rammed will the bus back be after the game, and how reliable will they be at that time of the evening.

Edit: There could be a bus strike as well that day :facepalm:

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
That's a good shout, always drive the Lewes and get the train so parking isn't an issue as never use the station one anyway. Although how rammed will the bus back be after the game, and how reliable will they be at that time of the evening.

Edit: There could be a bus strike as well that day :facepalm:

A bus and train strike next Friday would surely result in a record low for an Amex league fixture . :(

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
On the odd occasion that I have used the bus back to Lewes it has been horrendous after the game. On one occasion we had to wait for 3 buses to get on. Hence my post about the old relief buses and only going to Lewes Bus Station.

Jul 7, 2003
Article suggests that the bus strike could be as early as next Friday;

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1466...ort_strikes_as_workers_go_to_war_with_bosses/

Bus drivers and engineers strike, possibly as soon as next Friday, over allegedly "draconian management" and a "culture of fear". Unite said around 800 of its members at Brighton and Hove Buses and its subsidiary Metrobus, in Crawley, voted 71.4 per cent in favour of strike action, and 83.3 per cent backing industrial action short of a strike. Talks were ongoing yesterday to determine whether strike would go ahead. Brighton and Hove Buses chief executive Martin Harris challenged the union's ballot figures and denied staff were bullied into working overtime.

That would totally screw the P&R as well as they are all serviced by Go-Ahead group buses (yes, even those really old Southern Transit ones). Assume that the club are looking for alternatives but I remember the early days of P&R with drivers coming down from London who didn't know their way around.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Assuming there is a rail strike then the big station car parks are likely to be empty. Could the club not ask Southern to allow free parking at Brighton, Lewes and Haywards Heath station car parks and then run shuttle buses to the stadium from them. That could provide a lot of extra parking capacity?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here