Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How the rest of the clubs see the Albion next season:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So how the rest of the club is actually two then, can we change the thread title to something like "How half of the Yorkshire clubs see the Albion next season"

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
The Leeds team we faced at Elland Road were gash.
My thoughts exactly. We battered them last year because they were poor

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Not another club, but here is what "we love betting" think:

Taking a 10-year sample, we can see the average price of the three teams to win promotion to the Premier League is a rather hunky 28/1. Obviously Burnley (80/1 in 2013/14) and Crystal Palace (80/1 in 2012/13) have pushed the average up but in each of those 10 campaigns, a team quoted at 20/1 or bigger has won promotion. In fact, 43% of those 30 promoted sides were 20/1 or larger.

Brighton fans might laugh this off but I’m reasonably confident the Seagulls could well be the big-priced side that takes the second tier by storm this year. Albion are 25/1 (Bet365) to top the division but I’ll be having a bit on promotion at 8/1 (Bet365).

It’s 32 years since Brighton were a Premier League club and after a hugely disappointing season, they should return to par, if not better. The Seagulls went dramatically backwards following successive play-off semi-final defeats but – with Chris Hughton having replaced Sami Hyypia as manager in December – survival was ensured despite a seven-match winless streak to end the campaign.

The club’s recruitment has failed a little too often in recent years. January’s capture of Beram Kayal was one of few bright spots and in Tommer Hemed, Albion may have finally found a goalscoring gem. The Israeli striker is hoping to be the missing piece to the Brighton jigsaw; only Sheffield Wednesday (43) scored fewer goals outside the bottom three than Brighton (44) and it’s an area that required serious surgery.

If the Seagulls can keep hold of Lewis Dunk then the centre-half partnership with Gordon Greer remains resolute, allowing the team to build from the back. The league’s best defence has not finished outside the top-eight in the past 10 years and you’d assume Albion will continue to give little away to opposition teams.

The unavoidable departure of Young Player of the Year Joao Teixeira is the only black mark against their off-season. With a new training facility, the club is ‘Premier League ready’ off the pitch and in Hughton they have a manager experienced in Championship promotion to guide a challenge on it. They’re in a more stable and healthier position than 12 months ago and I certainly don’t see another season of toil.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Leaving aside the fact whoever wrote that article doesn't know who plays for us, I see they predict Brentford finishing between 6th and 24th! Nice to see they go out on a limb then.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Not another club, but here is what "we love betting" think:

Taking a 10-year sample, we can see the average price of the three teams to win promotion to the Premier League is a rather hunky 28/1. Obviously Burnley (80/1 in 2013/14) and Crystal Palace (80/1 in 2012/13) have pushed the average up but in each of those 10 campaigns, a team quoted at 20/1 or bigger has won promotion. In fact, 43% of those 30 promoted sides were 20/1 or larger.

Brighton fans might laugh this off but I’m reasonably confident the Seagulls could well be the big-priced side that takes the second tier by storm this year. Albion are 25/1 (Bet365) to top the division but I’ll be having a bit on promotion at 8/1 (Bet365).

It’s 32 years since Brighton were a Premier League club and after a hugely disappointing season, they should return to par, if not better. The Seagulls went dramatically backwards following successive play-off semi-final defeats but – with Chris Hughton having replaced Sami Hyypia as manager in December – survival was ensured despite a seven-match winless streak to end the campaign.

The club’s recruitment has failed a little too often in recent years. January’s capture of Beram Kayal was one of few bright spots and in Tommer Hemed, Albion may have finally found a goalscoring gem. The Israeli striker is hoping to be the missing piece to the Brighton jigsaw; only Sheffield Wednesday (43) scored fewer goals outside the bottom three than Brighton (44) and it’s an area that required serious surgery.

If the Seagulls can keep hold of Lewis Dunk then the centre-half partnership with Gordon Greer remains resolute, allowing the team to build from the back. The league’s best defence has not finished outside the top-eight in the past 10 years and you’d assume Albion will continue to give little away to opposition teams.

The unavoidable departure of Young Player of the Year Joao Teixeira is the only black mark against their off-season. With a new training facility, the club is ‘Premier League ready’ off the pitch and in Hughton they have a manager experienced in Championship promotion to guide a challenge on it. They’re in a more stable and healthier position than 12 months ago and I certainly don’t see another season of toil.

:moo:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Should imagine we're seen as a pushover.

The team talk last season must have been:-

"create one good chance from a wing and make sure you take it"

It's hard to think that'll change.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Nobody tipped Bournemouth to do as well as they did.

Who cares what others think.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
*cough*

Some of us predicted that they would be the dark horses

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Nobody tipped Bournemouth to do as well as they did.

Who cares what others think.

I went as far as to say Bournemouth had a better team than when we got promoted and in the second season we got to the play-offs, so I thought they would do well. Play-off a good bet.

I'm not sure why our fans are so pessimistic. Think of the cruddy team we had going into the Championship after promotion. Compare it to the team now and which would you prefer?

Brighton & Hove Albion
16 Ankergren
03 Greer
05 Dunk Booked
14 Calderon
22 Painter
10 Sparrow (Buckley - 75' )
18 Dicker
25 LuaLua (Noone - 46' )
26 Bridcutt
09 Barnes
12 Mackail-Smith
Substitutes
01 Brezovan
20 Vincelot
08 Navarro
11 Noone
30 Buckley

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
tHis year I tip Sheffield Wednesday to be the outsiders.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Clearly has been written by someone to rival perseus for footballing knowledge. Not much knowledge of players brought in, lists 2 players who we've released and 1 who has been injured since Hughton took over as players he needs to get the best out of. What a poorly researched load of bollocks, if you are going to go to the effort of writing a preview of a side at least put the effort in on the research first.

One of the reasons I write so little about football on my blog is because, whilst I love the Albion, I have feck all knowledge about the game. That's the reason why I find reading pieces like the above painful. The writer is trying to present themselves as being something they are not.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
One of the reasons I write so little about football on my blog is because, whilst I love the Albion, I have feck all knowledge about the game. That's the reason why I find reading pieces like the above painful. The writer is trying to present themselves as being something they are not.

I don't write about cooking on my blog. It would pretty useful of what not to do though.

I burnt the stew in the slow cooing. That means lots of washing up.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't write about cooking on my blog. It would pretty useful of what not to do though.

I burnt the stew in the slow cooing. That means lots of washing up.

Make a funny blog, mind.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
For some reason, I don't think I agree with them. Who bloody wrote that?

11836924_10154016407434338_2025939167393536000_n.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
i doubt any fans of other clubs see us anything else but relegation material, and as things stand they are possibly right.

Whoever put Birmingham sixth must be a closet Brum fan at least.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here