How Stupid Are The City Council? Warning, Mention of Gollywogs.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
So lets get this straight, the council happily spend money telling people what to think, although they should be old enough to think for themselves, but can't afford to look after the elderly and are coming to the public with a begging bowl... And people on here think that's OK.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I can assure you that black people I know would possibly shove a gollywog up your arse if presented with one.

is it quite a common problem where you are from for rastafarians to be presented with gollywogs?

in actual fact does this scenario exist anywhere at all except your head?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Ive never seen any golliwog presented to a black person, as the presenter would KNOW it would be offensive, and could expect some sort of repercussion, but ill let the white folk decide what is offensive for black people.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Ive never seen any golliwog presented to a black person, as the presenter would KNOW it would be offensive, and could expect some sort of repercussion, but ill let the white folk decide what is offensive for black people.

i have always believed that in matters of racism it is important for everyone to get involved in debating the issues,regardless of what colour you are.I cant understand your standpoint of excluding what white people have to offer,just because this country(and i suspect NSC although i cant prove it and frankly dont give a toss anyway) is of a majority white ethnicity it doesnt make their opinions more or less important.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Well, when discussing racism, and golliwogs...im just saying...if you ask black people if they find it offensive, a lot of people will say yes. The people I know would say yes for sure.
For people to say categorically, as they have on this thread that its not deemed offensive, I beg to differ, from my experience.
Those are the people im addressing this towards.

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
Who didn't have one as a kid? It doesn't mean to say they're a good thing. The name itself lost the golly part in the UK and was used as slang and the Councillor is an idiot defending it.
A conservative you say? Well I never.

Yes I had one, strange thing is it never turned me into a racist and as far as I remember nobody ever associated them with anything other than being a toy.
Maybe I had sheltered upbringing but it never crossed my, or any of my friends minds that the was any race issue with it.
I really get annoyed when people these days seem to want to suggest that I must be evil because I only ever saw it as a bleeding doll and have therefore in some way sent us back to the dark ages.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Yes I had one, strange thing is it never turned me into a racist and as far as I remember nobody ever associated them with anything other than being a toy.
Maybe I had sheltered upbringing but it never crossed my, or any of my friends minds that the was any race issue with it.
I really get annoyed when people these days seem to want to suggest that I must be evil because I only ever saw it as a bleeding doll and have therefore in some way sent us back to the dark ages.

It's pretty much an age thing and anyone under 30'ish probably doesn't realise that many things seen as offensive now were not back then and even some of the 'unmentionable' words could be found in childrens songs & books.

The world has moved on, and for the better but some folk do slip back and can say things without thinking of how they are taken today. Look what happened to Ron Atkinson. As for diversity training, a nice little earner for consultants to sell to gullable managers, but i'd rather it not be my tax paying for it.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
What about a White doll being presented to a white person...the Queen had one presented to her at some ceremony...did she throw a wobbly and say it was racist....peeps need to lighten up,if you wanted to upset a black person you would dress up in the KKK uniform and present them with a flaming cross...skin colour is just a different shade...it's the person inside the body that means everything...motto: There are good and bad amongst all people...White,Black,Yellow...all this Racist crap is from those who want to apologise for their forefathers...as if they could help what went on before they were born....

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
I understand that the term wog is offensive but is the actual doll? If somebody can explain to me why the doll offends them then fine. Yes the features are a bit exaggerated but then plenty of dolls etc have massivley unacheivable figures etc. Are the features offensive to black people?

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
My daughter owns a gift shop that among other things sells gollies. A customer the other day commented how nice they were but why did she not display them in the window and why were they not called gollywogs any more. She explained the reasons to him and he commented that it was the digest load of rubbish that he had heard. By the way he was a black African gentleman who promptly bought a couple of them for his grandchildren!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
For people to say categorically, as they have on this thread that its not deemed offensive, I beg to differ, from my experience.

maybe people on here are right and you are wrong,and maybe if gollies were really that offensive it would be illegal to sell them in this country.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I understand that the term wog is offensive but is the actual doll? If somebody can explain to me why the doll offends them then fine. Yes the features are a bit exaggerated but then plenty of dolls etc have massivley unacheivable figures etc. Are the features offensive to black people?

The original Noddy stories featured the Gollywogs who lived in the rough part of town which was full of wrong uns (the Gollywogs). The inference being that because they looked like characature of black people then black people are wrong uns.

edit: they also sung the song 10 little niggers which involved different deaths for black children. This was the beginnings of the black on black violence that has caused gang violence and cyclical poverty in the USA. Enid Blighton has a lot to answer for!

She did pave the way for some quality rap and hip-hop though. Apparently NWA were very influenced by the famous five.

Sorry staffs gull I misread your post.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The original Noddy stories featured the Gollywogs who lived in the rough part of town which was full of wrong uns (the Gollywogs). The inference being that because they looked like characature of black people then black people are wrong uns.

edit: they also sung the song 10 little niggers which involved different deaths for black children. This was the beginnings of the black on black violence that has caused gang violence and cyclical poverty in the USA. Enid Blighton has a lot to answer for!

She did pave the way for some quality rap and hip-hop though. Apparently NWA were very influenced by the famous five.

Sorry staffs gull I misread your post.

have you been reading daves handbook 1.0 on how to be offended

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
have you been reading daves handbook 1.0 on how to be offended

They don't offend me, why would they? I misread his question, i thought he asked why people thought they were offended rather than why someone personally got offened.

I have read Dave's book though, I found it highly offensive.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
They don't offend me, why would they? I misread his question, i thought he asked why people thought they were offended rather than why someone personally got offened.

I have read Dave's book though, I found it highly offensive.

i find your reply has confused me,i am offended by this.

Can you please confirm your your standpoint.

i will find it very hard to be offended or not offended if i dont know what you are talking about.I would rather be offended if i knew you were making sense or even making no sense if that makes any sense?

One Love is wining

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
i find your reply has confused me,i am offended by this.

Can you please confirm your your standpoint.

i will find it very hard to be offended or not offended if i dont know what you are talking about.I would rather be offended if i knew you were making sense or even making no sense if that makes any sense?

One Love is wining

Now you are just being offensive!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
this board has turned to sh@t....its diversity training for everything

i think honey badgers are crap!stick that in your racist barrel Stalin!

I think you need a honey badger to cuddle instead of your Gollywog.

I do agree that this board seems to be frequented by humourless dullards who couldn't spot a shade of grey if it left the cloud hanging over their lives and smacked them right in the kisser.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports