Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Stupid Are The City Council? Warning, Mention of Gollywogs.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
We had a good friend in Luton who was from Cameroon. One afternoon we had a good chat about offending people, political correctness, extremists.
Our friend was just amazed at how politically correct the UK had become and said it was pathetic.

Your friend is lucky to have you as a friend and I am sure she doesn't find you pathetic at all.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Your friend is lucky to have you as a friend and I am sure she doesn't find you pathetic at all.

Unless of course his friend from Cameroon is racist :)

I can see how some may find golliwog dolls offensive looking at their history. I don't belief in the concept of offence. It doesn't exist. For anyone to get so worked up over such a triviality is bizarre. But then I don't really know any black people well enough to ask them what they think of Golliwogs.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
To be honest, all local government has become a gravy train for the those higher up the scale, just wish I had the sense to have joined it 20 years ago.

That is absolute prejudiced rubbish. Anybody who has any knowledge of local government now and who has any sense will know the enormous pressure that everyone is under and how much good and hard work is done by those people.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
For anyone to get so worked up over such a triviality is bizarre. But then I don't really know any black people well enough to ask them what they think of Golliwogs.

I do and it's not exactly the biggest issue of discrimination that they face. This is the usual mock outrage perpetrated by idiotic box ticking right-onners.

The funny thing is the council probably think of themselves as radical free thinkers for such action. In fact wasting money on enforced diversity training that could have been spent on (say) education or Sure Start centres or rubbish collection is both monumentally stupid and a bit Orwellian.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
They wanna get themselves up the Marina, there's an old lady sells Golliwogs on her stall. B Right On's council wouldn't know what to do with themselves!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Labour Shadow Cabinet Minister Jack Dromey referred to someone as a 'pikey' last week. http://news.sky.com/story/1182006/pr-blunder-over-labour-mps-pikey-tweet He claims it was auto-correct that got it wrong. Chinny reckon.

Lib-Dem councillor in Bristol refers to an Asian as a 'coconut'. http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/jun/28/councillor-court-coconut-jibe-bristol

Labour councillor uses the phrase "n*****r in the woodpile". http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...ee-councillor-bill-jeffrey-apologises-4700420

I think it's less to do with party politics in the case of the Labour councillor and the Tory from Brighton and more to do with the generation that they belong to. Dromey's not even got the courage to admit that he meant to use the word pikey, the coward. There's no excuse for the Lib-Dem comments. Interesting to note that the Asian is a Conservative councillor. A Conservative you say? Well I never.

I feel battered.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
We're lucky. Could have had that David Van Day running the gaff. I met him on his "campaign", he's a right wally.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I feel battered.

It wasn't intended as such. Just trying to show there's dinosaurs on all sides because, well, they're dinosaurs. I've got mates who are always nervous about sitting with their dads at the Albion because they refer to 'darkies' and 'coloured' players. Their dads aren't racist, they're just of a different generation.

Personally speaking, I'm ambivalent about people taking offence at the sale of golliwogs. It's the name rather than the doll which I presume causes offence.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
My stepdad occassionaly uses generational racist language, makes me cringe but more so when he says things like

"I was talking to the new Postman the other day, huge black guy (they are always HUGE black guys for some reason), lovely man, lovely man"

or

"Had to go round a client's house today, all of them coloured, but lovely people, never gave me any problems"

As my friend would say "Didn't chuck spears at you or anything?"

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
..they are always HUGE black guys for some reason..

Funny you should say that. According to the dad of a mate of mine, Brighton's striker problems could be solved at a stroke by signing a big darkie up front. Someone like Micky Small (Raphael Meade at a push).

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Funny you should say that. According to the dad of a mate of mine, Brighton's striker problems could be solved at a stroke by signing a big darkie up front. Someone like Micky Small (Raphael Meade at a push).

Ha, there's few of life's problems that can't be solved by drafting in a huge black man. Or that's what my ex believed anyway.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
My Dad disliked anyone that wasn't English. One of his favourite phrases was "Wogs begin at Calais". I think most people are more enlightened these days though.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
While we're on the subject I find it deeply shocking that around the Amex stadium it can often be heard sung that Oscar Garcia, he likes a bit of sangria. As if all Spaniards love sangria or something. Has anyone ever asked him? I doubt it

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Unless of course his friend from Cameroon is racist :)

I can see how some may find golliwog dolls offensive looking at their history. I don't belief in the concept of offence. It doesn't exist. For anyone to get so worked up over such a triviality is bizarre. .
But aren't a lot of people getting worked her about a triviality?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Personally speaking, I'm ambivalent about people taking offence at the sale of golliwogs. It's the name rather than the doll which I presume causes offence.

I seem to remember that, in Noddy books, the bit of the town or whatever where the golliwogs lived was a nasty evil place and not somewhere you would dare to venture by yourself. So I think there is some understandable sensitivity through association with that.

I would avoid the word, personally, but would acknowledge that most people who might say it would intend no offence. Wasn't it the word that Carole Thatcher was sacked from the BBC for using, or rather was sacked for refusing to apologise after having used it, which is different, and the lady in this case did apologise to anyone who might have been offended.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Ha, there's few of life's problems that can't be solved by drafting in a huge black man. Or that's what my ex believed anyway.

My Dad's like that, although he also has the in built racism as well.. he moved to Australia to escape the 'Muslims flooding into England'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here