Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How seriously are you taking social distancing?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
if social distancing then no issue surely

How would they do that on the steps to the beach or the narrow paths?!

Anyone seeing that many cars on arrival should drive on, not park up.

I just don't understand why people have to flock to the main honeypots rather than using their imaginations and going somewhere a bit more isolated.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
How would they do that on the steps to the beach or the narrow paths?!

Anyone seeing that many cars on arrival should drive on, not park up.

I just don't understand why people have to flock to the main honeypots rather than using their imaginations and going somewhere a bit more isolated.

Just use your head dont you. Walk over the cliffs , keep the distance. If the steps are busy to the beach then make the call. If have to do it then face away when pass / hold breath / dont touch the railings , wash hads with soap you carry.
Risk very low , enhanced by fact if you get it then stats show you are likely to be fine.

If you use your head then no issue. Will people use head . . thats the question

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Just use your head dont you. Walk over the cliffs , keep the distance. If the steps are busy to the beach then make the call. If have to do it then face away when pass / hold breath / dont touch the railings , wash hads with soap you carry.
Risk very low , enhanced by fact if you get it then stats show you are likely to be fine.

If you use your head then no issue. Will people use head . . thats the question

I don't disagree with you but people do not use their heads.

I went for a walk with my family along the canal yesterday. I chose the most remote section I could and also with a wide enough tow-path for a car to drive down.

But there were large families all over it on their bikes and they made no effort to go single file when passing us or anyone else and were also shouting at each other the whole time, spreading any lurgy they had far and wide.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This is a really rewarding twitter thread, looking at track and trace evidence and what can be learnt about transmission. The link to the first post of 20 is below

[tweet]1257392348788596738[/tweet]

Here are the conclusions.
In conclusion, contact tracing data is crucial to understand real transmission dynamics. Cautionary note: This data & interpretation is based on the available evidence as of May 4th. Our understanding might change based on community testing/lifting lockdown measures.

While we have limited data, similar high risk transmission pattern could be seen in other crowded & connected indoor environments such as crowded office spaces, other workplace environment, packed restaurants/cafes, cramped apartment buildings etc.

Conclusion 2: (a) we need to redesign our living/working spaces & rethink how to provide better, ventilated living/working environment for those who live in deprived & cramped areas; (b) avoid close, sustained contact indoors & in public transport, & maintain personal hygiene.

The more interesting bits are the key risks for infection, identified in the tracing

Being in close contact with someone infected for 15 minutes or more.
Being in a room with someone infected for upwards of 2 hours.
Poor Hygiene (hand washing, face touching)
Being over 60 less able to resist infection.

Again I hope this is all very obvious. What is more important here is the low risk of infection

Outdoors
Brushing past someone
and the low infection and ability to pass on the virus from the young < 10

With regards to the Birling Gap problem. Personally I would not go there at the moment, especially in the middle of the day. There are plenty of more obscure beauty spots I would happily visit and quieter times to go. However I would also not fret if others decided to go and do this. The individual risk of infection will be slightly increased, the bigger risk of widespread infection seems to be relatively small. Based on what we know, this all seems like great news.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

I went for a walk with my family along the canal yesterday. I chose the most remote section I could and also with a wide enough tow-path for a car to drive down.

But there were large families all over it on their bikes and they made no effort to go single file when passing us or anyone else and were also shouting at each other the whole time, spreading any lurgy they had far and wide.

Whilst annoyign in the current cliamte of fear. All those actions are very very low risk of you directly catching in the scheme of things. I'd try and relax about it a bit. Humans carry disease and sickness and we will get things. Just be a bit careful and sensible but I wouldnt overly worry about people walking the other way in the open air.

Post from someone else recently looks at this.

I'm not saying lets click back to normal but I'm a long way from the fear and dread that you seem to be alluding to. Life must go on , just be aware

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

My pet hate are those people who, presumably, have happened across someone they know when out for their walk and stop for a chat, appropriately socially-distanced, but on opposite sides of the trail/path, seemingly completely oblivious to the fact that anyone that has to pass them has to go through the middle, well within 2m of each.

I appreciate risk of infection is low, but for FFS, both move to the same side and keep your 2m apart there, allowing others to pass at a similar distance.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
My pet hate are those people who, presumably, have happened across someone they know when out for their walk and stop for a chat, appropriately socially-distanced, but on opposite sides of the trail/path, seemingly completely oblivious to the fact that anyone that has to pass them has to go through the middle, well within 2m of each.

I appreciate risk of infection is low, but for FFS, both move to the same side and keep your 2m apart there, allowing others to pass at a similar distance.

Happens all the time on the path from Shoreham Beach to Lancing, past Widewater Lagoon.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Yep, usually at a significant junction in paths. Happens to me several times a week. And they generally glare at you as you approach.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Taken from the Argus website, an article about people on Brighton beach, that includes this little gem....

One woman, sitting near the club, which is between the two piers, said: "When it's family, it's a little bit different when it comes to six people, cause we are all family and we are all in each other's homes."

Jesus Wept, one can only hope they are day trippers :ffsparr:

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/18462630.lockdown-stricter-beer-drinker-brighton-beach/

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I heard about the two for a fiver beers but didn't think it would be San Miguel. A bike ride in, a couple of beers, ride home. Done. [emoji3]

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes, there are some ignorant people out there who don’t have a clue about SD, but seriously, in two short months some people have become terrified of walking past someone on a pathway. What are you going to be like when stuff starts opening again? Get a grip.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
A colleague of mine and a friend of my wife's are both travelling long distances this weekend to see relatives - it really seems the lockdown is over whether the government wants it to be or not.

Yoda

English & European
A colleague of mine and a friend of my wife's are both travelling long distances this weekend to see relatives - it really seems the lockdown is over whether the government wants it to be or not.

And yet I've not even done the 3 miles from Worthing to Lancing to see my mother since the start of this crisis (apart from two times I've dropped shopping off for her as she is self isolating due to chemo treatment). It really does beggar belief.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

The soft lockdown was over the minute those rags published all the “Monday we are free” headlines. And once Johnson ordered all the plebs back to work it was sealed. Pubs are opening which wasn’t supposed to happen until 2045 or summat.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
The soft lockdown was over the minute those rags published all the “Monday we are free” headlines. And once Johnson ordered all the plebs back to work it was sealed. Pubs are opening which wasn’t supposed to happen until 2045 or summat.

I think that the fact I can go to work a 15 mile drive (engineering) lots of touching metal, lifting heavy stuff there is no chance of SD and have been all but ordered by Boris to go. But the fact I cant drive to see my Mum, who is house bound and living with my sister who works in the NHS makes the whole thing nonsensical...I now see workmates every day but havnt seen my Mum and one of my sons since February.

I am being quite good but I fully understand the folks who have sai "fxxk it" We are allowed to do things we dont want to do but I cant buy new pants and go for a pint !!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think that the fact I can go to work a 15 mile drive (engineering) lots of touching metal, lifting heavy stuff there is no chance of SD and have been all but ordered by Boris to go. But the fact I cant drive to see my Mum, who is house bound and living with my sister who works in the NHS makes the whole thing nonsensical...I now see workmates every day but havnt seen my Mum and one of my sons since February.

I am being quite good but I fully understand the folks who have sai "fxxk it" We are allowed to do things we dont want to do but I cant buy new pants and go for a pint !!

Yeah, it’s all nonsensical horse shit. I work with a few other people, spend 15 hours a day with them. But can’t go round to any of their houses for a cuppa.

This period will be looked upon by historians as a Kafka-esque foul up of epic proportions. And they’ll be correct.

D

Deleted member 2719

Yes, there are some ignorant people out there who don’t have a clue about SD, but seriously, in two short months some people have become terrified of walking past someone on a pathway. What are you going to be like when stuff starts opening again? Get a grip.

How wide is that pathway?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here