Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How seriously are you taking social distancing?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Rather mixed messages on the news this eve. We are being enouraged to get out and exercise whilst strictly observing social distancing measures, but then the BBC news was reporting that loads of people were ignoring the advice and walking up Snowdon, and others going to the beach. Surely thats a good thing? Im confused.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Still a lot of ignorant, dangerous irresponsible people who really don’t quite get it.

I think I’ve said this a fair bit since the outbreak started a couple of months back, but I continue to be astonished at the stupidity of the British public:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51988877

Evidently I'm one of those who dont get it. How would driving my car to the Lake District and walking about in the fresh air miles from the nearest person be dangerous and irresponsible? The national trust have opened up its sites for free to encourage us to walk in the open. But now the reports are complaining about us flooding to the parks?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-51947349

Last edited:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Evidently I'm one of those who dont get it. How would driving my car to the Lake District and walking about in the fresh air miles from the nearest person be dangerous and irresponsible?

I would argue why you feel your travelling to the Lake District is essential.. but that’s completely unrelated to my post.

Am strictly referring to those who are not practicing social distancing, or blatantly disregarding it.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It's not just Britain ffs. People ignoring advice is happening all over. Doesn't make it right, but it's not just happening here

No of course it’s not just happening here, but as I’m born and bred here, came through the education system and obviously take an interest in my country, I’m just more shocked when I see the levels of ignorance and stupidity I’ve seen the past month or so.

Italy could be forgiven because who knew how severe covid 19 would be in Europe. Spain a little less so. But we have been given a preview of what’s to come, a tremendous heads up as if were.

And yet there were honest to goodness people laughing this off as a flu even just a month ago. As evidenced on our own NSC.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Evidently I'm one of those who dont get it. How would driving my car to the Lake District and walking about in the fresh air miles from the nearest person be dangerous and irresponsible? The national trust have opened up its sites for free to encourage us to walk in the open. But now the reports are complaining about us flooding to the parks?

I would argue why you feel your travelling to the Lake District is essential.. but that’s completely unrelated to my post.

Am strictly referring to those who are not practicing social distancing, or blatantly disregarding it.

Yes - please stay local and go to your local countryside. No need to drive up here. In fact, although I work there, I avoid the Lake District if I want to go for a walk and not meet people - it's far more crowded than most places. And in a short distance from my house we have had second homers arrive this weekend from Wigan, Leeds, and London - obviously thinking 'I'll go to the Lake District and escape it all'. Thanks.....

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

Think the NT have now closed sites. The statement I saw basically said that they realised loads of mums might wanna go there tomorrow.

Seems like lots of people had the same isolating idea and went to the beach or the Sussex countryside today...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
without sounding bitter i am starting to think ****wits like this should get the virus now..

Brighton Beach...

How are people still going out...

We’re still advised that being out in fresh air is fine, with no close interaction with others, or just with our own household.

For non-vulnerable groups, people can still exercise outdoors, get groceries or medicines.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
We’re still advised that being out in fresh air is fine, with no close interaction with others, or just with our own household.

For non-vulnerable groups, people can still exercise outdoors, get groceries or medicines.

Exactly, you can't really blame people for getting out and having a walk if there's nothing else to do, and if they're still practising social distancing. We drove up to Arundel and had a walk yesterday. It was like a ghost town, so no problems there. The problem with where we are is that, in lovely weather especially, people will think 'let's have a nice stroll along the coast', especially as we're being told its fine to get out an exercise (whilst social distancing).
But, with thousands of people with nothing else to do, suddenly everyone's down the beach, which defeats the object of it all, obviously. I'm sure the Downs were the busiest they've been for ages too, yesterday. I'd hesitate to label all these people 'morons' or whatever, as it is all a bit a case of mixed messages. Perhaps not too clever about where they choose to walk about (I mean, it was pretty obvious the beach would be packed yesterday), but not morons. I'd reserve that label for people who should know better still in denial /still trying to throw parties, etc.

The only answer I guess is a full lockdown, which appears to be coming next few days now.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
No of course it’s not just happening here, but as I’m born and bred here, came through the education system and obviously take an interest in my country, I’m just more shocked when I see the levels of ignorance and stupidity I’ve seen the past month or so.

Italy could be forgiven because who knew how severe covid 19 would be in Europe. Spain a little less so. But we have been given a preview of what’s to come, a tremendous heads up as if were.

And yet there were honest to goodness people laughing this off as a flu even just a month ago. As evidenced on our own NSC.

You're right of course - I agree. But I'd say it's a humanity thing. [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] said the other day Gothenburg were still encouraging their bars to open and just have outside spaces. The aussie rules football league has still started, and they've had to close beaches. Some Americans are stockpiling guns, spring breakers still partying. Macron in France has had to plead with his public to respect the lockdown, and thousands of sergical masks have been stolen from some hospitals... I could go on. It's infuriating, but there has been and always will be a certain percentage of humanity who are a little bit thick, unfortunately.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Exactly, you can't really blame people for getting out and having a walk if there's nothing else to do, and if they're still practising social distancing. We drove up to Arundel and had a walk yesterday. It was like a ghost town, so no problems there. The problem with where we are is that, in lovely weather especially, people will think 'let's have a nice stroll along the coast', especially as we're being told its fine to get out an exercise (whilst social distancing).
But, with thousands of people with nothing else to do, suddenly everyone's down the beach, which defeats the object of it all, obviously. I'm sure the Downs were the busiest they've been for ages too, yesterday. I'd hesitate to label all these people 'morons' or whatever, as it is all a bit a case of mixed messages. Perhaps not too clever about where they choose to walk about (I mean, it was pretty obvious the beach would be packed yesterday), but not morons. I'd reserve that label for people who should know better still in denial /still trying to throw parties, etc.

The only answer I guess is a full lockdown, which appears to be coming next few days now.

Went on one of my regular dog-walking routes on the Downs north of Worthing yesterday. Genuinely don't think I've ever seen so many people on that particular route ever before.

The Gallops in Findon was also about as busy as I've ever seen it, including groups of kids (not from the same family) and a group of 20-somethings playing football.

I'm not sure of the science in terms of how likely you are, on a windy day as yesterday was, to breathe in someone else's exhaled breath that could contain the virus.

I'm going to avoid the seafront anyway - suspect it will be very busy today.

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018
I've just gone to Asda, at the Marina, to collect our shopping and the car boot sale appears to still be on! Why don't people seem to understand?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
without sounding bitter i am starting to think ****wits like this should get the virus now..

Brighton Beach...

How are people still going out...

I think this is why Countries like France and Italy have enforcement on social distancing and are issuing rules not advice. I’ll be supporting our government when they introduce draconian fines for going against rules designed to stop mass gatherings.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
It’s annoying me this blasé attitude as it’s just prolonging this awful situation.

Any people that go to house parties and car boots who then start lecturing about how the NHS is a treasure to be appreciated can fvck off as far as I’m concerned. They’re pretty much guaranteeing that it’ll be under sustained pressure and may even buckle over the next 2-4 weeks. The longer people flaunt social distancing, the longer the doctors and nurses will be working stressful hours and the more of them will die. In Italy about fifteen doctors have died of Covid-19 in the past few weeks.

Some people need to wake the hell up and quickly.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Went on one of my regular dog-walking routes on the Downs north of Worthing yesterday. Genuinely don't think I've ever seen so many people on that particular route ever before.

The Gallops in Findon was also about as busy as I've ever seen it, including groups of kids (not from the same family) and a group of 20-somethings playing football.

I'm not sure of the science in terms of how likely you are, on a windy day as yesterday was, to breathe in someone else's exhaled breath that could contain the virus.

I'm going to avoid the seafront anyway - suspect it will be very busy today.
Dogs don't seem to be adhering to social distances, mine still up to their discusting dog habits.

It's a zoonotic virus, haven't heard anything re canine susceptibility but does make you think.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Pleased to say that the stretch of the coast I am on is far less busy today. Yesterday was a busy mix of people trying to distance and big groups of mixed families playing football and doing exercise classes.
I was constantly zig zagging on my walk to avoid people.
The main culprits?
Old people
Dads with kids

Although I’m expecting a lunchtime rush with ignoramus’s going out with their elderly mothers for a Sunday constitutional.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As someone whose company is forcing them into the office, I have every sympathy with this poor soul.

(Thread)

[tweet]1241470242833993735[/tweet]

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As someone whose company is forcing them into the office, I have every sympathy with this poor soul.

(Thread)

[tweet]1241470242833993735[/tweet]

Can’t you self isolate? All the staff in non essential shops and businesses should down tools and go home.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Can’t you self isolate? All the staff in non essential shops and businesses should down tools and go home.
Yes. But after 10 days ( cumulative rolling for the next year ) we go onto SSP, so I need to hold that Ace for a while, in case I get real symptoms.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here