Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How quickly can we appeal Calders red card?

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I really don't see how an appeal would be successful. I don't believe for a second there was anything malicious there, and it was just a horribly unfortunate accident.

But Calde did go to absolutely smash the ball and missed, connecting with Anthony's leg with great force. If nothing else I can imagine it would be called reckless.

Calde went to kick the ball, as footballers should? The Newport County player was the one that lunged in, and when I stopped the video you can see he is off the ground with both feet at one point. For me there is only one player in that collision that should be punished. However, I don't think either should be - it was a coming together, an effort to win the ball.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
If the appeal is successful will we get the match replayed as we were in total control at the time of the sending off and would have won!!

We don't want to be in the League Cup - it costs us more than it is worth to be in it, in operational costs and potential sending offs/injuries. Let's focus on the league and hope QPR etc make it to the later stages.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Calde went to kick the ball, as footballers should? The Newport County player was the one that lunged in, and when I stopped the video you can see he is off the ground with both feet at one point. For me there is only one player in that collision that should be punished. However, I don't think either should be - it was a coming together, an effort to win the ball.

Agree with this, Calde stayed on his feet, Byron jumped in. The ball was travelling towards Calde and was his ball to strike.

Calde.jpg

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
I was the only one in my section who immediately thought Calde was in the wrong. Everyone else reacted as though the Newport guy was totally in the wrong but from my POV I thought Calde went to get stuck in and bottled it (dangerous). The Newport guy got their first and Calde looked very unhappy with himself straight after the incident.

Personally I thought their player should also have got a yellow as he was reckless with his challenge. Just because Calde bottled it doesn't make him exempt from a card - that's how some of the worst injuries happen.
It looked like a 50/50 to me, it was quick too....but usually a player who is sent off for a leg breaking tackle doesn't take the time to argue the toss with the opposition bench (they'll get off asap) . Calderon was really upset by that decision.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Right in front of me. Never a red. He went to kick the ball. Anthony shouldn't have been in that position.
That being said, hope he recovers in full.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I feel that Newport supporters would be most upset if after having lost a player with a double break of the leg which will probably mean the man will be out for the rest of the season then find it went unpunished.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I feel that Newport supporters would be most upset if after having lost a player with a double break of the leg which will probably mean the man will be out for the rest of the season then find it went unpunished.

So he should be punished because the guy broke his leg, even if the challenge was a fair one ?

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
So he should be punished because the guy broke his leg, even if the challenge was a fair one ?

But the challenge wasn't a fair one. Anthony should have been sent off for a reckless two footed lunge regardless of whether he was injured or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here