Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How quickly can we appeal Calders red card?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But I believe that was a particularly awful tackle.

A tackle that gets a player sent off and breaks a players leg in 2 places wouldnt be considered such. I know that the tackle should be judged on the actual tackle not the injury but I am sure the arrival of the stretcher influenced the ref and his assistants in the decision.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The FA never seem to rescind red cards, unless it's Man Utd appealing.

And Calde's ban will be extended if it's a failed appeal, too...

We should definitely appeal but I have absolutely no faith that the muppets at the FA will overturn the ref's decision.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Couldn't believe what I was seeing when it happened. Absolutely bizarre. I was sure it should have been a red for the Newport player.

The refs in this game absolutely ruin it. They only have them selves to blame, none if this heat of the moment crap, if they want to be a professional referee, it is up to them to make sure they are bloody good at it.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
From the North, it appeared Calde was sent off for trying to avoid having his leg broken. The Newport player flew in. Only himself to blame. Hope he makes a complete recovery.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
I was the only one in my section who immediately thought Calde was in the wrong. Everyone else reacted as though the Newport guy was totally in the wrong but from my POV I thought Calde went to get stuck in and bottled it (dangerous). The Newport guy got their first and Calde looked very unhappy with himself straight after the incident.

Personally I thought their player should also have got a yellow as he was reckless with his challenge. Just because Calde bottled it doesn't make him exempt from a card - that's how some of the worst injuries happen.

Silverfox

Aug 1, 2011
Eastbourne
Watched it again and again last night, paused and re paused. 50/50 ball but Calde decided to swing a foot at it, their guy slid in and got there first, hence the ball changed direction and Calde kicked his shin and not the ball. One of those bad luck bits of timing but the way Calde swung his foot means, I think, that it may be considered to be a bad decision on Calde's part. We all know that Calde is not that sort of player but I reckon the FA will support the ref. Hope I am wrong.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
It happened almost directly in front of me and it was NEVER a red card.

A 50/50 collision with a very unfortunate outcome for the Newport player. Nothing more.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I really don't see how an appeal would be successful. I don't believe for a second there was anything malicious there, and it was just a horribly unfortunate accident.

But Calde did go to absolutely smash the ball and missed, connecting with Anthony's leg with great force. If nothing else I can imagine it would be called reckless.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I really don't see how an appeal would be successful. I don't believe for a second there was anything malicious there, and it was just a horribly unfortunate accident.

But Calde did go to absolutely smash the ball and missed, connecting with Anthony's leg with great force. If nothing else I can imagine it would be called reckless.

Yeah having watched the Sky Sports replay several times now, I can see how it might be considered reckless. But then I can also see that there could be an argument to say that Calde was jumping over the other guys' tackle. (oo er missus)
Either way I think there is two hopes of the FA over turning the decision unless the club have a different camera angle than Sky Sports.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

I must confess I have not watched it again yet, but watching live, I didn't even consider it to be a foul, let alone a cardable offence. When the red appeared, I was totally astonished.

I am pretty sure if you watch the clip it is clear both players were hell bent on getting the ball and then clashed. I really don't think either was trying to hurt the other. In my view the fact that The Newport guy has sadly got a broken leg is irrelevant to the decision as to whether it is a red card.

Theyorkshireseagull

Aug 31, 2011
Leeds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVJcFU5xoCk - wasn't there but looks like a straight forward 50/50, happened very quickly and the ref isn't even in the shot so not sure what the ref's view of the incident was. Looking where the ball went, Calde was obviously late and did catch the guy so wouldn't be surprised if we lose an appeal.

Also, how fat was the ref. Chubby B******d

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
There is no way the FA will overturn that appeal.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVJcFU5xoCk - wasn't there but looks like a straight forward 50/50, happened very quickly and the ref isn't even in the shot so not sure what the ref's view of the incident was. Looking where the ball went, Calde was obviously late and did catch the guy so wouldn't be surprised if we lose an appeal.

Also, how fat was the ref. Chubby B******d

I think that sums it up. Just seen it for the first time. Never ever a red card or even a foul but that won't stop the FA upholding it.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Its difficult to get red cards recinded but not unheard of - depends on who called it, the ref, the lino or the 4th official

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
If the appeal is successful will we get the match replayed as we were in total control at the time of the sending off and would have won!!

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I've replayed and slowed that footage down and its similar to that shawcross challenge on Ramsey, Calde gets there very slightly after but his leg is on follow through whilst the newport player has stretched out completely. Same as Shawcross it wasn't meant to injure and was fair but because of the leg break he gets a red. Of course some people will say because he was slightly late its reckless but it wasn't

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here