Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How old is too old to drive?

My father in law is 80 and recently drove into a fallen tree because he "didn't see it". He bought another car and continued to drive, despite having problems moving his legs.
There should be a compulsory assessment every 3 years (and every year after aged 70); not a driving test, more a question of "is there a reason this person shouldn't be allowed to drive any more?".
Of course no politician will ever propose it so it's academic and the deaths will continue

Having problems with his legs isn't as big an issue as you might think. Your father in law could have a car adapted so the throttle and brake controls are moved to somewhere on the steering wheel or column. My car is adapted so it can be driven by someone (such as myself) who only has mobility down 1 side of their body. In fact, the car I learned to drive in could be driven by somebody who has no arms.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
In theory, someone's who's 97 and still driving may not have even taken a test - they didn't become compulsory until 1935. Now that is a scary thought

Much more recent than that, some who learned through war duties didn't have to take a test either.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Absolutely. Anyone commenting about knowing '90 year olds who are still great drivers' HAS to be kidding themselves, at least to some degree. I'm (only) 44 but already I can clearly identify the effects of the ageing process. Not in terms of ability to drive - but for example in my cricket - I know that the speed of my reactions and the sharpness of my eyesight mean that I am that bit less capable than I was at 25. It can only go one way!
Well thats appalling. We have laws about using mobile phones, but playing cricket at the wheel is just irresponsible.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
In my experience (which is fairly extensive) people of most ages make mistakes when driving, but deliberately aggressive driving does tend to happen more often with older german 'sports saloons' (we all know who I mean), White vans and men in their 50s.

However, it is madness that you can pass one test, and then throw a ton of metal round at 70mph for the rest of your life, regardless of your current abilities. A re-test every 10 years (5 years after 65) and 3 months leeway to re-take in the event of failure before you lose your license is the only sensible way to go, but no political party would ever go for it.

Yet another reason that a benign dictator is better than democracy every time :thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd be more concerned about those who make sweeping judgments about other people they've never met...

My mother-in-law knows her limitations when it comes to driving. She never drives after dark any more, and only makes relatively short trips that are well within her physical capabilities. Being aware of her situation and making adjustments accordingly already makes her a better driver than the majority of idiots on the road half her age who think they know everything and believe they are infallible.

Its meant as absolutely no disrespect to your mother-in-law. To be capable of driving at that age is very impressive, indeed.

Its simple physiological fact though, that her reactions, reflexes, hearing, eyesight, etc ARE going to be less sharp than they once were. And however careful she is - and I'm sure she is - it really isn't just about your own driving, its very much how capable you are of reacting, in timely and appropriate fashion, to other people's mistakes.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I believe that I would know when to stop driving, so it's more about people’s stubborn denial. We have all been in a car when it is bucketing down and the wipers make no difference, or have come across fog where you cannot see further than a few meters in front. If that is what it is like it feels every time you drive it is time to stop.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
imho it should be 70

then a test every 2 years till 80

a test every 6 months as health can deteriorate rapidly, and only automatics

Medical test or driving test?

If you are talking about driving tests it would be pointless because it doesn't measure your reaction time or perception. Driving a car is like riding a bike so wouldn't be a problem to pass if you are a competent driver anyway. Taking a driving test every two years is a bit excessive.

I know people are retested at 70 but IMO I dont think anyone over 80 should be allowed to drive.

I think your find that over 70's aren't retested as such. We just have to get our doctor to certify that we are still fit to drive every 3 years.

I know of at least one case where a GP certified that an old man with Alzheimer's was "safe to drive". For why? Because the local bus service had been cut. All this only came to light after he had killed a colleague of mine and drove off without noticing that he had crashed into her and her bike.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
In my mid 60s i personally think that I am a better driver than I was in my 20s. I am however aware that if I took the theory test tomorrow I would fail it.

My suggestion would be that everyone had to take the theory test at age 65 plus have a full medical including eye test. Then again at age 70, 75 and so on. All the time their brain is active, they are fit and can see, let them keep going.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt everyone to redo theory every 5 years as well.

Someone in their 80-90s nowadays started driving in a much different world.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
In my mid 60s i personally think that I am a better driver than I was in my 20s. I am however aware that if I took the theory test tomorrow I would fail it.

My suggestion would be that everyone had to take the theory test at age 65 plus have a full medical including eye test. Then again at age 70, 75 and so on. All the time their brain is active, they are fit and can see, let them keep going.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt everyone to redo theory every 5 years as well.

Someone in their 80-90s nowadays started driving in a much different world.

Anyone who passed their test before July 1996, didn't have to do a theory test. I passed in 1987 but did test myself fully on the theory when I taught my daughter to drive. It's a common sense test really. But maybe it would be a good idea for anyone who passed their test before 1996 to do a theory test with the eldest drivers being in the queue first, plus a medical.

I also think younger drivers should be limited to the class of car they drive when they first pass their test, and anything above a 1,300cc they have to take a second driving and theory test. I've known people to pass when they clearly shouldn't have done.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Another death yesterday morning, woman in her 90's driving the wrong way down a dual carriageway...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...man-dies-car-crash-leaves-driver-injured.html

Once drivers reach the age of 70 there should be a test at least every 5 years IMO.

True, you do see more national media reports about ancient drivers doing silly things than you do about middle-aged ones and I've yet to see a headline in my morning paper about '48-year-old killed after driving past give way sign'. Doesn't prove much in itself though.

The only answer is that retesting frequencies should be based on the accident statistics for each age group.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Passed my test October 1975 first time.
Thats 40 years of driving two vehicles with no accidents.
Still only have 9 years no claims bonus.
Insurance firms have screwed me for probably £400 a year for 40 years

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Passed my test October 1975 first time.
Thats 40 years of driving two vehicles with no accidents.
Still only have 9 years no claims bonus.
Insurance firms have screwed me for probably £400 a year for 40 years

That does not include house insurance/public insurance/national insurance/employers insurance/tools insurance:moo:

I may have missed a few more btw.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
That does not include house insurance/public insurance/national insurance/employers insurance/tools insurance:moo:

I may have missed a few more btw.

On top of that: mortgage insurance/holiday insurance/health insurance/cancer insurance/accident insurance : moo: no wonder I'm BRASSIC:ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here