Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How old is too old to drive?

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I know people are retested at 70 but IMO I dont think anyone over 80 should be allowed to drive.

I think your find that over 70's aren't retested as such. We just have to get our doctor to certify that we are still fit to drive every 3 years.

Wow that is even more worrying then.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Everyone should have to take their test again every 5 years, it is ridiculous that I passed my test 31 years ago and I have not been tested again.

In theory, someone's who's 97 and still driving may not have even taken a test - they didn't become compulsory until 1935. Now that is a scary thought

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
My father in law is 80 and recently drove into a fallen tree because he "didn't see it". He bought another car and continued to drive, despite having problems moving his legs.
There should be a compulsory assessment every 3 years (and every year after aged 70); not a driving test, more a question of "is there a reason this person shouldn't be allowed to drive any more?".
Of course no politician will ever propose it so it's academic and the deaths will continue

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
My father in law is 80 and recently drove into a fallen tree because he "didn't see it". He bought another car and continued to drive, despite having problems moving his legs.
There should be a compulsory assessment every 3 years (and every year after aged 70); not a driving test, more a question of "is there a reason this person shouldn't be allowed to drive any more?".
Of course no politician will ever propose it so it's academic and the deaths will continue

His family need to get involved before he kills someone. Friends of ours persuaded the mother to stop driving after she almost ran them over when they were on a pedestrian crossing.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
It is the nightmare for every person with an elderly relative still driving. Sometimes you just need to take the keys away otherwise some innocent might suffer.

As any parent that has gone through bringing up teenage children that drive will tell you. What you describe as a nightmare pales into insignificance compared to the phone ringing when your kids an hour or so late.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
There are many elderly drivers that need to be gently encouraged to stop driving, family friends perhaps better than the government.

But most of us know the real problems on our roads our young drivers, middle aged sales reps, all probably offer a greater risk, oh yes and women.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think every single driver from 17 up, should be fully re-tested (theory and practical) every 5 years.
But that's living in a perfect world, no one would finance this.

So a more realistic scenario. Every driver from 60 years up should fully re-test (theory and practical) every 2 years.

Where do you get 60 from?! Realistic?! The government itself has raised the retirement age to 67, so it won't be any lower than that.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Following the sad story of the M1 crash where an 87 year old man was driving the wrong way and crashed into a van, killing himselfr and the 27 year old van passanger, and putting the van driver in hospital, personally I really find it unbelievable that someone of 87 is allowed to drive.

I know people are retested at 70 but IMO I dont think anyone over 80 should be allowed to drive.

Story here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-34503112

What percentage of serious (or for that matter, any) accidents are caused by people over 80?

"Research by the RAC Foundation suggests drivers aged 75 and over make up 6% of all licence holders but account for just 4.3% of all deaths and serious injuries. By contrast, drivers aged 16-20 make up just 2.5% of all drivers but 13% of those killed and seriously injured"

From what I see on the roads and how people drive, I'd suggest there are enormous numbers of under 40's who are far more of a liability.

Indiscriminately banning people from driving because of their age is patently ageist, intolerant and would probably be against our current laws. If any change is required, it should be that people are required to take a retest, probably ever 10 years although due to the costs involved, it's very unlikely to happen. It may be that a further mandatory medical test could be introduced for people over a certain age.

BattFink

Jan 31, 2012
Buggers Hole
Personally speaking.. I know this would never be pushed by a political party but I'd be happy with being re-tested every 10 years (say each time photo card has to be renewed, doesn't need to be a full driving test, just a refresher), would also want an eye sight test/medical to be added to the test

Just getting bored with roads getting busier & the p**s poor driving attached to it

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Following the sad story of the M1 crash where an 87 year old man was driving the wrong way and crashed into a van, killing himselfr and the 27 year old van passanger, and putting the van driver in hospital, personally I really find it unbelievable that someone of 87 is allowed to drive.

Story here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-34503112

Where did you hear that 70 year olds are retested? That isn't the case. Once you're 70 you can just renew your licence online.

I firmly believe that everyone should be retested. Photo id cards have to be renewed every 10 years so why not retest people then. Don't necessarily agree that you need to do your theory again but certainly a practical road test. In an ideal world we would have more traffic police and more people prosecuted for dumb driving, including middle lane hogging and the like.

With regard to elderly driving, once you get to 70 I believe you should be tested every couple of years and be signed off by you GP to confirm that you 'faculties' haven't deteriorated to the detriment of your driving. Unfortunately, some peoples perception of a good driver isn't necessarily what others might consider. You should be capable of driving to the condition of the road up to the relevant speed limit for that road. That should apply to everybody. People who refuse to drive at 70 on motorways shouldn't be allowed to drive. If you don't have the confidence to drive at that speed then you are effectively a rolling road block. That's just one example.

People seem to equate good driving with merely being able to control a car rather than including the ability to drive without adversely affecting other drivers.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When you reach 70 your licence expires and you apply for another. There is no test whatsover either medical or driving. I think that you should have to have a test from your doctor that you are physically and mentally alert and your eyesight is ok to drive, not just you sign a form to say so. I believe all drivers who are banned should have to take a retest before getting licence back.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I have no worries. Whilst recently having my first bash on F1 on the PS4 with seat and all the kit at a friend's, my nickname soon became Miss Daisy.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I'm 66 and would have no problem, in fact would welcome, being retested at least every 5 years.

The vast majority of people claim to be good drvers - if that's the case where do all the idiots on the road come from. 20 or 90, very few recognise their own faults.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'm 66 and would have no problem, in fact would welcome, being retested at least every 5 years.

The vast majority of people claim to be good drvers - if that's the case where do all the idiots on the road come from. 20 or 90, very few recognise their own faults.

Would you know when you are unfit to drive?

I think it is more likely that people who were rubbish at driving when they were younger are also rubbish when they are older, or they are the ones who passed their test when Stonehenge was built.

I wouldn't be worried about being re-tested just for the hell of it, but driving is more about vision, awareness and reaction and if one is impared in any way it is a medical issue. A driving test medical would probably suffice?

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Vision, awareness, reaction times, flexibility looking behind, sheer mental ability, there are lots of factors as you get older. We persuaded our old man that the time had come to stop driving, our mother made her own decision earlier than we would have done. It can mean a big restriction on getting about - but there are buses and taxis - and family lifts. But it is not easy.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Vision, awareness, reaction times, flexibility looking behind, sheer mental ability, there are lots of factors as you get older.

Absolutely. Anyone commenting about knowing '90 year olds who are still great drivers' HAS to be kidding themselves, at least to some degree. I'm (only) 44 but already I can clearly identify the effects of the ageing process. Not in terms of ability to drive - but for example in my cricket - I know that the speed of my reactions and the sharpness of my eyesight mean that I am that bit less capable than I was at 25. It can only go one way!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
There are full time working drivers aged over 60 considering they don't retire until 67 nowadays.

You don't suddenly lose your marbles or reactions when you reach your 60th birthday.

Exactly - I have a part-time delivery job, and at age 62 would be due my second test by now. Having done internal assessments (computer based and written tests) recently, out of a smallish team (no more than 20), I came out as the lowest risk driver.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We have a motorhome, which is classed as a private HGV - weighs in at 3,200kgs. We know that we will have compulsory medicals every two or three years from the age of 70, which we will have to pay for and which are bl**dy expensive.

But fair enough. It's a big and heavy vehicle - bigger than a normal white van.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here