Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] How Often Do You Think About The Roman Empire?

How often do you think about the Roman empire?

• Total voters

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Quite often if I think about it - 2 to 3 times a week.
every time I drive on the M27 past Portsmouth I look across to Porchester Castle. …… which I will be doing for AEK Athens and Bournemouth.
last week on two separate occasions I found myself driving firstly on the Fosse Way, and then Watling Street.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I was thinking about Roman roads on my drive to Shrewsbury yesterday, the day before somebody mentioned the word trivia which got me thinking. Happens all the time.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Not sure what is weirder, the fact that this is a thing or the fact that apparently men think about the Roman Empire a lot!
That is possibly the weirdest thing I've ever read. Obviously I'm thinking about the Roman Empire right now, but no, I can't say it's a subject that crops up regularly in my thoughts. Certainly if I'm sitting on the sofa with a faraway look in my eyes my wife never says "You're thinking about the Roman Empire again aren't you?"

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
That is possibly the weirdest thing I've ever read. Obviously I'm thinking about the Roman Empire right now, but no, I can't say it's a subject that crops up regularly in my thoughts. Certainly if I'm sitting on the sofa with a faraway look in my eyes my wife never says "You're thinking about the Roman Empire again aren't you?"

I am definitely going to use it next time I get asked what I am thinking about.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Depends on the day. Yesterday, I thought about it VII times but only IV times on Tuesday.

I used to think about it more at school when I was taking part in playground games. I came. I saw. I conkered.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Well, technically speaking that's not quite true. It was a kingdom until Tarquinus Superbus's son decided to rape Lucretia and set in train events that led to the establishment of the Roman Republic.

It was a republic for 400 odd years, administered by a dictator, although not in the sense we'd know it as he'd still be bound by laws of Rome. That changed with Sulla who gave the dictator more power and changed more radically under Julius Caesar, who became a dictator as we'd understand the term - hence his assassination in 44BC. Rome then became a true republic for 17 years before Octavius took over and became Caesar Augustus
Yes yes yes, but you could carry that line of argument back to the stone age😀

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yesterday I saw a documentary foretelling the future of the planet if we disappeared overnight.
The chap said that in one of the tall Manhattan skyscrapers there is more glass than the Romans produced during their entire reign.,

So there you have it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
7zribj.jpg

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Every morning when I get my coffee, I sing 'I need a Nero' to myself. The mighty power of advertising.

I also live near a Kia dealership and their Kia Niro's can trigger the same response. Indeed, it's earworming as I type.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Well, technically speaking that's not quite true. It was a kingdom until Tarquinus Superbus's son decided to rape Lucretia and set in train events that led to the establishment of the Roman Republic.

It was a republic for 400 odd years, administered by a dictator, although not in the sense we'd know it as he'd still be bound by laws of Rome. That changed with Sulla who gave the dictator more power and changed more radically under Julius Caesar, who became a dictator as we'd understand the term - hence his assassination in 44BC. Rome then became a true republic for 17 years before Octavius took over and became Caesar Augustus
And is that where I Claudius began ? 😀

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Depends on the day. Yesterday, I thought about it VII times but only IV times on Tuesday.
I for one am a big fan of Roman numerals.

Some people are trying to ban them. Not on my watch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here