Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] How Often Do You Think About The Roman Empire?

How often do you think about the Roman empire?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think of the Roman Empire about once every 4-6 months.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
EVery Day.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
only when triggered by something about Roman empire, Life of Brian , or concreate (they did do it rather well). even then dont think i actually think about Roman empire beyond the subject. dont recall it comes up in conversation with other blokes either, which i'd expect if we're all thinking about it weekly.

methinks this is men just saying yes to their other halfs in response to a weird question. ask about the Greeks or Renaissance art and would get same outcome.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And technically speaking it was a Republic until Augustus became the first Emperor in 27 BC
Well, technically speaking that's not quite true. It was a kingdom until Tarquinus Superbus's son decided to rape Lucretia and set in train events that led to the establishment of the Roman Republic.

It was a republic for 400 odd years, administered by a dictator, although not in the sense we'd know it as he'd still be bound by laws of Rome. That changed with Sulla who gave the dictator more power and changed more radically under Julius Caesar, who became a dictator as we'd understand the term - hence his assassination in 44BC. Rome then became a true republic for 17 years before Octavius took over and became Caesar Augustus

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here