Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Much of a Music Snob / Nerd Are You?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't actually consider myself a snob. Nerd possibly, but not a snob. People who know me will tell you I rarely, if ever, criticise any music I do not like. And I have some absolute honkers in my collection.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Suggestion for box number 101

Do you regularly contribute to music threads on what is predominantly a football based forum?

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
31, but suspect it would have been higher if the quiz was UK-based.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
54 for me. Not as much of a snob as I used to be though. Much of the new fangled terminology is irrelevant to the current me.

Nov 14, 2011
Hassocks
I got 35. Not bad.

Likewise got a bit lost two thirds in. What is a Loudness War and there were some names in there I did not recognise.

34/100 (Nerd), I answered yes to a few of the questions because although I may be thinking that inside, I have learnt to hold back the “Anorak” that lurks within (or be told I’m boring the pants off people by my wife).
“Loudness Wars”. I’ve taken this to mean the constant ramping up of the volume of recorded CD’s & MP3’s. As an example most CD’s issued as an emerging format in 1984-5 now sound quiet when compared to modern CD’s. You may notice this when playing your “burnt from CD’s” collection on shuffle, and you constantly have to alter the volume. This is because modern CD’s & MP3’s are audio engineered to the maximum DB (decibels) when recorded (everything in the red). This leads to near distortion and a painful listening experience. A lot of contempory music uses distortion as the norm. Celo Green’s big album of a couple of years ago is a good example.
Wikipedia “Loudness Wars” for a more in depth answer (if you stay awake through the whole article you’ll probably score big in this quiz).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Suggestion for box number 101

Do you regularly contribute to music threads on what is predominantly a football based forum?

:lolol:

To be fair this is now the main reason I use this site. I got fed up with the football threads some time ago and I've now got bored with the tedious circular political threads with the same idiots reciting the same nonsense (see the current March For England thread). And the NSC music community have provided me with some excellent tips over the years.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
34/100 (Nerd), I answered yes to a few of the questions because although I may be thinking that inside, I have learnt to hold back the “Anorak” that lurks within (or be told I’m boring the pants off people by my wife).
“Loudness Wars”. I’ve taken this to mean the constant ramping up of the volume of recorded CD’s & MP3’s. As an example most CD’s issued as an emerging format in 1984-5 now sound quiet when compared to modern CD’s. You may notice this when playing your “burnt from CD’s” collection on shuffle, and you constantly have to alter the volume. This is because modern CD’s & MP3’s are audio engineered to the maximum DB (decibels) when recorded (everything in the red). This leads to near distortion and a painful listening experience. A lot of contempory music uses distortion as the norm. Celo Green’s big album of a couple of years ago is a good example.
Wikipedia “Loudness Wars” for a more in depth answer (if you stay awake through the whole article you’ll probably score big in this quiz).

Thank you indeed.
I feel you deserve a plus 5 score for knowing in advance what a loudness war is.
During today I am going to drop the term into normal conversation as many times as I can and look for reactions.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
5/100 and even a couple of them are debatable.

Nov 14, 2011
Hassocks
Thank you indeed.
I feel you deserve a plus 5 score for knowing in advance what a loudness war is.
During today I am going to drop the term into normal conversation as many times as I can and look for reactions.

I knew I should have consulted the wife before getting involved in this Nerd fest.

Dave (a member of the Audiophile club established in the early 70's when buying HiFi was the equivelent of buying the latest Iphone or COD game)

Last edited:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
:lolol:

To be fair this is now the main reason I use this site. I got fed up with the football threads some time ago and I've now got bored with the tedious circular political threads with the same idiots reciting the same nonsense (see the current March For England thread). And the NSC music community have provided me with some excellent tips over the years.

Have to agree.
And it is all about those tips. For example and slightly off topic- I have not got a clue who I will be watching on the Thursday and Saturday of The Great Escape yet but will be basing it purely on NSC recommendations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here