How much money is at stake?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
There would also be a financial benefit to Brighton the town.More visitors,possibly massive exposure.
Look how many people around the world now know there is a place called Leicester.

The standing of the town would increase.Imagine Manchester without City and Utd. Barcelona without their team etc.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There would also be a financial benefit to Brighton the town.More visitors,possibly massive exposure.
Look how many people around the world now know there is a place called Leicester.

The standing of the town would increase.Imagine Manchester without City and Utd. Barcelona without their team etc.

Brighton the CITY would benefit by about £11-12 million a year.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I couldn't care less if its worth £1 or £100m. Its all about the DREAMS and the GLORY.

#OldRomantic

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
As i understand it, the "spare" parachute payments are shared out in the Championship, not in the Premier League. So the £25m or so that Burnley won't be getting over the next couple of years goes to the remaining non-parachute receiving clubs, so say £800k next year and £400k the year after. Very approximate figures. And of course I might be wrong about the Championship getting it.

Roughly speaking, Burnley (and very possibly Brighton) will be guaranteed in the region of £95m for next season, and another £95m total for the three years after. But if we do get back to the Championship, we don't get the ordinary Championship TV money of about £5m, so a club with (say) £30m parachute money is only net £25m better off than the rest. (Only!!!)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ouch.Couldn't remember if it's considered a town or city but come on it's more of a town.

It used to be so simple, no cathedral, you weren't a city.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I have read varying figures on how much money is at stake on Saturday's game.

Some papers say £200 million, some £170 million and some other amounts.

Is this money for one year or does it include any potential parachute payments? One last question with Burnley getting promoted I presume that they lose out on the two additional years due on parachute payments, in which case what happens to this money?

Obscene amounts really how ever I'm sure that Bloom and Barber wouldn't say no.

It's got ****-all to do with the money.

This is about the glory of promotion and laying the ghosts of 3rd May 1997.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Surely, its a bit like moving house and job from say mid-Wales to central London. Yes you have dramatically more income but the cost of living is also dramatically higher so your chances of making money are neutralised. Or is that too simplistic???

A bit.

Most of the lower premier league clubs will make a profit this season .I think I remember seeing that Palace had made a profit over the last 2 years despite a huge increase in their wage bill.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
A bit.

Most of the lower premier league clubs will make a profit this season .I think I remember seeing that Palace had made a profit over the last 2 years despite a huge increase in their wage bill.

I believe the first year in the prem Palace returned a profit of about £23 million. 2nd year that dropped to £5 Million even though they had one of the lowest spends on Players and wages...So not a lot of money to be made if you stay stay in the premier league.

(thats off the top of my head BTW )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports