Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much faith do you have in KLL & March?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
As much as I want to think that KLL will win us games it has rarely turned out to be the case. He does have the pace and trickery to scare defenders late on but I don't recall seeing him doing much beyond that, at least not often. Impact sub for me (with the caveat that I want him to prove me wrong).

March is only 20 (I think), so to expect him to be a polished Championship winger already is probably asking a little much. I think he could be a good player for us this year, barring injuries, but he can't really be looked at as our key winger just yet.

Basically, at least one more please.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Feel a bit for Kaz, he was played too narrow last season by two different managers. When played wide he is our most dangerous player. Perhaps more of an impact player though.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
KLL is our only exciting player as he actually dribbles round players. The trouble is he can only do it for 15 minutes per game. With Solly we still have not seen enough of him.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We need more goals in our side from midfield forward. KLL averages two goals a season and that figure is boosted by his Div 1 record!! Solly hasn't exactly been prolific either ( admittedly with limited opportunities ). These two aren't going to boost the goal charts.
We need a wide player who is going to contribute 8-10 goals a season.

GOALS! This is the most important point.

These two players are both 1st choice at present but should be competing with players of the quality of Orlandi, Buckley, Noone, Conway, Vicente (ok - he was a one off) and Lopez. We need some serious quality in and we need it soon. 3+ players as SB says.

Maccers

Apr 16, 2015
How can anybody say KLL is the "most technically gifted player". Anybody can tell he's a one trick pony who, albeit good at his trick, is very limited in his attributes. Pace and a decent cross.

His descision making is often very poor, has become quite predicable and always appears to be making it up as he goes along. I would say he's a very average footballer with a lot of pace and excitement. The fact he's never been able to nail down a place in the team exemplifies his lack of maturity and predictability in his play. But, fair play, what he does DOES work some of the time but he's very predictable, and you can tell whenever he's played against Premier League opposition he's never had a good game for us. I think that says it all about his "technical ability".

My personal opinion, but I'd say he's one of the most overrated players at the club. Hope he has a decent season though.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Monakana should be given the chance to push these two...has SPL and League 1 experience already and should be given a chance.

Monakana was one of the few bright sparks against Lewes. He had a willingness to carry the ball, take on opponents and get to the byline. Mind you, both Joe Ward and Tilley looked good too, which means we might be well served for wingers/attacking midfielders looking into the future. Ward looked like an orthodox right winger, whereas Tilley looks as though he can play across the '3' of a 4-2-3-1, or even at the apex in midfield of a 4-3-3.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Monakana was one of the few bright sparks against Lewes. He had a willingness to carry the ball, take on opponents and get to the byline. Mind you, both Joe Ward and Tilley looked good too, which means we might be well served for wingers/attacking midfielders looking into the future. Ward looked like an orthodox right winger, whereas Tilley looks as though he can play across the '3' of a 4-2-3-1, or even at the apex in midfield of a 4-3-3.

So there's the possibility, yet again, the club is just trying to sticky plaster the gap between first team and development.
It's certainly has been the case with goalkeepers and right across the defence, esp central, now wingers too.

I completely get the reasoning, why spend x million on a player for 1 or 2 seasons, when 2 or 3 players may be available for 'free' soon(ish).
The problem comes in the obvious fact that the club cannot afford to have another season like the last.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Good to hughton bigging March up (today's argus), shame he doesn't seem to want to continue the work Oscar was doing in converting him to a no 10.
As for Kaz I would suggest it is a make or break six months for him, no regular starting place and can't see him being here in February. Can be very good (as we have seen in patches over the years), but needs to find consistency. Would also be nice to see him take players on at full speed rather than the whole stop, have a think, go again he has developed since his broken leg.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
So there's the possibility, yet again, the club is just trying to sticky plaster the gap between first team and development.
It's certainly has been the case with goalkeepers and right across the defence, esp central, now wingers too.

I completely get the reasoning, why spend x million on a player for 1 or 2 seasons, when 2 or 3 players may be available for 'free' soon(ish).
The problem comes in the obvious fact that the club cannot afford to have another season like the last.

Broadly I agree, but either we go with the DS idea or we don't. I think we should, and what that entails is giving (more of) them some game time. Game time in COC matches, in the unexpected occasions when we're two goals up in the league with 10-20 minutes to go, etc. In my view this also means that we should buy less players, but buy better ones. By better, I mean that the winger(s)/attacking midfielder/striker that we need/will buy have that extra yard of pace, better vision, and/or composure in front of goal.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
KLL is in the last chance saloon with me, more end product is required, we really need a couple of wingers who can get 7 or 8 goals each at least, and provide many assists...

I just cant see KLL ever quite getting there despite the obvious threat he has

Solly I am really looking forward to seeng play this year, but I havent seen anywhere near enough to form a solid opinion.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Good to hughton bigging March up (today's argus), shame he doesn't seem to want to continue the work Oscar was doing in converting him to a no 10.
As for Kaz I would suggest it is a make or break six months for him, no regular starting place and can't see him being here in February. Can be very good (as we have seen in patches over the years), but needs to find consistency. Would also be nice to see him take players on at full speed rather than the whole stop, have a think, go again he has developed since his broken leg.
The article to me suggests we're nowhere near signing a winger

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Feel a bit for Kaz, he was played too narrow last season by two different managers. When played wide he is our most dangerous player. Perhaps more of an impact player though.

KLL is our only exciting player as he actually dribbles round players. The trouble is he can only do it for 15 minutes per game. With Solly we still have not seen enough of him.

Sorry, but last season KLL even when played out wide (as an impact player) was dire. Too interested in throwing himself to the ground whenever he got within a yard of a player, and 9 times out of 10 he couldn't go past anyone. As others have mentioned he's regressed, and technically... well, I've never seen another player who seems perpetually off-balance like our Kaz.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Whilst not slow, I don't think Kaz is actually that fast in the conventional sense. I'm struggling to recall when he pushed the ball past a fullback, turned on the afterburners and beat his man to the ball in the way a free-flowing Buckley often did.

His trick seems to be to bring the ball, himself and his marker to a standstill and then attempt to create space over 5 yards or so with a very quick explosive burst. Typically the end-product, if he is able to get the space he wants, is to then fire in a cross/shot as hard as he can, often sacrificing accuracy for power.

I like Kaz and his spirit, but he does seem to have lost his way somewhat.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Whilst not slow, I don't think Kaz is actually that fast in the conventional sense. I'm struggling to recall when he pushed the ball past a fullback, turned on the afterburners and beat his man to the ball in the way a free-flowing Buckley often did.

His trick seems to be to bring the ball, himself and his marker to a standstill and then attempt to create space over 5 yards or so with a very quick explosive burst. Typically the end-product, if he is able to get the space he wants, is to then fire in a cross/shot as hard as he can, often sacrificing accuracy for power.

It usually (last season) ended with him getting alongside the defender, and then suddenly falling over in dramatic style.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell

Exactly, he really needs to add some versatility to his game. Under Gus he contributed a lot at home when teams defended deep in numbers and the pace of the game slowed. Since then he's not really mastered the more central role. It's a pivotal season for him.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
KLL is in the last chance saloon with me, more end product is required, we really need a couple of wingers who can get 7 or 8 goals each at least, and provide many assists...

I just cant see KLL ever quite getting there despite the obvious threat he has

Solly I am really looking forward to seeng play this year, but I havent seen anywhere near enough to form a solid opinion.

In a nutshell for me ..be interesting to see how we line up this season.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
March is a great prospect and IMO did show signs last season that he he could develop into a very very good player. The problem with the expectation is that the pressure can get to forwards and they end up taking a safer option.

I'd like to see him and Monakana on the pitch at the same time and given the freedom to run at defenders. Their pace would scare the hell out of most championship fullbacks.

As for Kaz. I think last season showed that he cannot turn a game around on his own. Under Oscar and Gus, when he came on there were usually a couple of other decent players who he linked up with, so his impact was magnified. Last season they just weren't there and subsequently he looked a bit insipid. If the team is set up to facilitate him, then he is a great asset. If the team is solely reliant on him as the creative outlet then he rarely delivers.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Kaz is not that fast however his movements are quick and tricky for defenders...He cannot play a full game. however if he comes on in last quarter he is a great impact player..things happen when he is on.........Solly was promising season before last but saw very little of him last season...If injuries behind him he may be a star this season (lets hope so).

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Everything has been said here about KLL and how predictable he has become. If he wants to start, he has to show he deserves to. If he wants to be an impact sub rather than a last, despairing throw of the dice, he has to add a bit of variety to his game.

But if there is any hope, it could be that two players who were, shall we say, less-than-positive influences on him recently have left the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here