Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] How much did your last MOT cost you in total

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
About £150. Needed a rubber bush replacing on a suspension arm.
My first car and my first MOT. Got a feeling I'll need to replace the disks/pads for the next one in February, not looking forward to that.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So the car is more convenient than any other form of transport available to you? So you choose to use the car. But you hate all service providers connected with it and the actual action of getting to your destination in the most convenient way?

Righty ho………
As an aside, the equivalent of an MOT over here, the Roadworthy Certificate, is not actually a requirement to use your car on the road! Your vehicle just needs to be of roadworthy condition, whether you have a piece of paper counts for nothing. As I remember, it is technically the same in the UK. You could have an MOT in March (and pass) but have an accident in September and if the vehicle is found to have been at fault then you are liable. But at least the car gets a once over every year, here it could be fifteen years or more as you only NEED the certificate when the vehicle changes ownership. When you see some of the monstrosities on the road here, modified, customised and tuned, and some of the death traps due to age and condition it is quite worrying.

Insurance is bloody weird here too. Technically you have insurance against causing personal injury as part of your road tax equivalent, but not against damage to property. What is bloody annoying is that others can claim against you without question if you do take out your own fully comp insurance. What I saw as a 50/50 bump in heavy traffic allowed the other non insured driver to claim for repairs against my insurance (we stopped and exchanged details) whilst they had non, and my insurers just paid up and then increased my premium the following year!

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
£595 on a 4 year old Honda VFR 800. Battery and 4 spark plugs needed changing to sort a misfire. Plugs were £34 each and 2 hours labour to change them. Service manage smiled when he said we were worried it was the coil packs. He wouldn't tell me how much they would have been, just said you don't need to know sir, they come in set of four and can't be bought individually!

That's expensive fast motorbikes for you. Still at least I don't own a Harley or Ducati.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Dread it every year. Due in Jan, not optimistic this year. Sister just had hers done at Halford, quoted her £1000 for a few bits it failed on, went to a local garage who quoted her £350. Absolutely hate this chancers who just try and mug you off.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
£595 on a 4 year old Honda VFR 800. Battery and 4 spark plugs needed changing to sort a misfire. Plugs were £34 each and 2 hours labour to change them. Service manage smiled when he said we were worried it was the coil packs. He wouldn't tell me how much they would have been, just said you don't need to know sir, they come in set of four and can't be bought individually!

That's expensive fast motorbikes for you. Still at least I don't own a Harley or Ducati.
But what about the MOT?

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Dread it every year. Due in Jan, not optimistic this year. Sister just had hers done at Halford, quoted her £1000 for a few bits it failed on, went to a local garage who quoted her £350. Absolutely hate this chancers who just try and mug you off.
I'm not singling your sister out directly but I don't understand why people take their cars to places like Halfords for MOT's. There used to be at least one place in Brighton that did nothing but MOT's, so they had only a retest fee to gain by failing it. Places like Halfords (in my opinion) will just quote you as much as they can and a lot of people will pay as it's a 'trusted & well known' name.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Got my MOT tomorrow.

First one for the car (2020 model).

I’ve been paying monthly for a service/MOT plan since the car was new but looks like I’d have spent around £600 on 2 x service and 1 x MOT after this next one. I’m not sure if that’s good value on a new car but at least I don’t have to stump up a big bill all at once.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
£20 ish in 2006 ish

Massive fail.

Gave up.

Haven't owned a car since.

nsclurker

Apr 3, 2018
I bought a 2006 plate Audi S8 V10 about 3-4 years ago.

Cost me £1500 to get it through the first MOT after I bought it.

A few months later, I wrote it off.

💰💰💰💰💰

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
An MOT costs a statutory maximum of about £55. I think I paid £49. Most of the responses here seem to be saying what they had to pay for servicing and repairs. For my last MOT I asked for a full service at the same time which was around £300. If you fail the MOT your bill could be sky high but the MOT itself should always be around £50.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
2 pheasants half a squirrel and 3 potatoes,we live in Wales,it fluctuates yearly but it's a bit steep considering they get the road kill scrapings for nothing whilst doing the MOT. Rumour has it that it's going up to a whole squirrel next year :mad:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
2001 vehicle. 6 MOTs for me. Only extra was a fog light bulb. Had the brake pads done once, 4,000m oil changes and 4 new All Season Tyres tyres. Belt changes coming up this year.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

2 hours labour to change plugs on a bike? what the actual fudge.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My youngest got his first car earlier this summer, passed his test 3 weeks ago, and had his MOT on Monday. £380 later, welcome to the real world son!! (2 tyres and a shock needed replacing)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here