How many will follow Coventry and QPR’s lead?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should players take the knee?

• Yes

Votes: 41 37.3%
  • No

Votes: 69 62.7%

• Total voters

Disappointing outcome to this poll. Even a symbolic opposition to racism is too much. Worrying

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We need to define our terms.

How do you define politics so as to exclude the subject?

A quick web search came up with the following definition:

Politics (from Greek: Πολιτικά, politiká, 'affairs of the cities') is the set of activities that are associated with making decisions in groups, or other forms of power relations between individuals, such as the distribution of resources or status.

The equal treatment of people regardless of their skin colour is definitely a question of politics according to that definition, I suggest, but what is your alternative one if you disagree?

You've picked the obscure definition that suits your agenda. As with the Latin, now with the Greek. You really are a pseudo-intellectual cock.

The accepted definttion is

"the activities associated with the governance of a country or area, especially the debate between parties having power"

So I would ask you which parties having a real chance of power in the country are arguing that black lives do NOT matter? Even Trump rails against the organisation but not the message.

BLM has been hijacked around the fringes by a few politcal extremists but the message remains correct. You wouldn't tackle a fire in one house on a street by pouring water on every house, you'd tackle the one house in trouble and save the road. And in this - and football - I draw a parrallel with poppies and remembrance. Once a year we observe this immaculately before kick off. I wear my poppy with pride, ensure I'm in my seat in time and my Cub daughter has laid a wreath at our local service. The guy i go to games with is ex-military so I get what it means. However, that doesn't obscure the fact that the lunatic fringe of the right wing in this country have tried to hijack the poppy and the likes of Britian First love a good old poppy-shaming on social media. But is wearing a poppy political? Of course it ****ing isn't.

However - and here I agree with Ferdinand and, probably, you - we do NOT do this more than once a year, so that it maintains its significance. Take a knee once a season to show you are still there, and before big finals but not every game in my humble opinion. However....

Getting a whiff, now, of why I raise an eyebrow to the 'time to move on' contingent? ???

Yes. Yes I do. but I am not sayinig "move on" in the above. I'm still saying do something better and more direct. Football, particularly in Europe is still riven by racism, knee or no knee.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Given that Arthur Mullard was a sex offender what are you implying?

I won’t PM you Tom because you’ve clearly lost the plot now, just be very careful what you say in the future because it will come back to bite you at some point.

Well said

Big Beach Seagull

Salt of the earth
May 16, 2020
Great post!! Don't expect him to reply though, he comes on here spouting his oh so woke b*llox, usually insulting anyone who disagrees with him, but when he's challenged (as you've done) he disappears.

Just another discusting example of the snobby left wing bias littered throughout NSC! I bet he wouldn't spend a morning with me in my studio flat listening to Julia on the radio and pouring over the latest edition of the Mail. He'd better not park badly in Lower Bevendean, radio star or no radio star. It cuts no ice with me at all!!!!!:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Disappointing outcome to this poll. Even a symbolic opposition to racism is too much. Worrying

FWIW I didn’t vote, as my third option would’ve been “Allow individual clubs & players to decide their approach”.

I’m vehemently against racism (that includes anti semitism), but we should not be group outraged when some clubs take a well reasoned different direction.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You've picked the obscure definition that suits your agenda. As with the Latin, now with the Greek. You really are a pseudo-intellectual cock.

"the activities associated with the governance of a country or area, especially the debate between parties having power"

So I would ask you which parties having a real chance of power in the country are arguing that black lives do NOT matter? Even Trump rails against the organisation but not the message.

BLM has been hijacked around the fringes by a few politcal extremists but the message remains correct. You wouldn't tackle a fire in one house on a street by pouring water on every house, you'd tackle the one house in trouble and save the road. And in this - and football - I draw a parrallel with poppies and remembrance. Once a year we observe this immaculately before kick off. I wear my poppy with pride, ensure I'm in my seat in time and my Cub daughter has laid a wreath at our local service. The guy i go to games with is ex-military so I get what it means. However, that doesn't obscure the fact that the lunatic fringe of the right wing in this country have tried to hijack the poppy and the likes of Britian First love a good old poppy-shaming on social media. But is wearing a poppy political? Of course it ****ing isn't.

However - and here I agree with Ferdinand and, probably, you - we do NOT do this more than once a year, so that it maintains its significance. Take a knee once a season to show you are still there, and before big finals but not every game in my humble opinion. However....

Yes. Yes I do. but I am not sayinig "move on" in the above. I'm still saying do something better and more direct. Football, particularly in Europe is still riven by racism, knee or no knee.

I'm all for that.

But I'd not wave goodbye to the knee till that's all up and running, though.....or we will simply just move on...

Nice duffing up of the killer dweeb, btw :lolol:

Last edited:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
So want tangible benefits will we see by the 'powerful' taking of the knee yesterday?

Hi Lego Stand

With 68 posts its good to see a new Albion fan posting.

Non violent protest has produced a lot of change in societies over the years.

The players are in a position (more than most) to tackle the issue of prejudice and racism in society.

Like you I want to see change (tangible benefits sic) the players have a platform to show their feelings and support.

I am happy to see both Sussex CCC and all the Brighton and Hove Albion teams do this.

If others like yourself have other ways to create a positive change I would support those as well, as I am sure the clubs would.

Come on the Albion win for Bissouma tomorrow, see you on the Match Day Forum.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
As compelling an argument as 'it's complete bollocks' is, could you put some meat on the bones and explain why the club are wrong to continue to devote 20 second of time to this cause?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

If you’re so into this matter, why have you not read Sir Les’s statement? Be advised, go and read it. Nothing is forever. Oh, and it’s a game of football. Not Congress.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
FWIW I didn’t vote, as my third option would’ve been “Allow individual clubs & players to decide their approach”.

I’m vehemently against racism (that includes anti semitism), but we should not be group outraged when some clubs take a well reasoned different direction.

Absolutely this. The irony of many who preach tolerance is they are the least tolerant themselves. It’s not surprising, today you’re not allowed to have reasoned debate and be in the middle. It’s bi polar politics, religion, gender, race...you name it, people stand at either end and immediately start hurling insults, making accusations, ludicrous comparisons etc that’s fuelled and encouraged by technology and hysterical polemics. For that reason alone, I don’t want any virtuous gesturing involved in sport. I want to watch a game of football, escape from the madness of this world for just a brief moment and forget about all the crap going on elsewhere. Whether COVID, race riots or an act of god 3000 miles away. A bit of peace. A haven. Sanctuary.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
im kind of surprised that QPR can tell another club not to do it -- so he also told the ref not to take the knee ?

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
Hi Lego Stand

The players are in a position (more than most) to tackle the issue of prejudice and racism in society.

Like you I want to see change (tangible benefits sic) the players have a platform to show their feelings and support.

I am happy to see both Sussex CCC and all the Brighton and Hove Albion teams do this.

If others like yourself have other ways to create a positive change I would support those as well, as I am sure the clubs would.

How exactly?

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020

To your irritation about the origin of the word, "politics" I am sorry, but the fact that most of our basic political terms and concepts come from ancient Greek ("democracy" from demos ya de ya) is just a fact of life. And I simply cut and pasted an internet source that referred to it.

Whatever You have replied with another definition and asserted that this is the "accepted" one. By who? Mine may have been partial (I concede this, actually) but then so is yours. (And even by your alternative definition BLM are political!)

Politics is not confined to the struggle between parties, it is subject to a far wider definition, as a part of every day life. It is everywhere, in the office, in families, in the national space. BLM is not even a political party as such, in the sense that it doesn't seek election. So far as I know anyway. But it is clearly political. In fact its founders in the US are Marxist revolutionaries.

You can't get much more "political" than that. Marxists laugh at your very definition of politics as party based, they seek to overturn and destroy "bourgeois" parties in capitalist "democracies" through revolution. Then there is just one party, it is all that is needed. Paradise on earth politically. That is BLM's aim, the cause (racial equality) is a means to that end. The footballers who take the knee and indeed Sky Sports who complain about its ending are "useful idiots" in Lenin's phrase.

They won't succeed in my view but that doesn't mean they aren't incredibly destructive to social cohesion. The ideology they espouse, based on the (accursed) critical race theory that is sweeping all before it in the wider culture, (having conquered the universities) is inherently destructive of our entire society. As you can see by the cities on fire all across America.

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
Hi Lego Stand

When did I say that? As unedifying is this may sound 'tackling racism' is not on my agenda. I have far more important things in my life to concentrate on, like keeping my job / my home / the wellbeing of my family and friends in the face of a worldwide pandemic. Seeing more BAME representation in the dugout and the boardroom is the least of my worries. If most people are honest they would probably say the same. This doesn't make me a racist but a realist but no doubt I'll get a whole load of abuse for saying what I've said.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Great post!! Don't expect him to reply though, he comes on here spouting his oh so woke b*llox, usually insulting anyone who disagrees with him, but when he's challenged (as you've done) he disappears.

Hi Lego Stand

Is he an Albion fan?

68 posts so far:

* 67 bemoaning the plight of the poor downtrodden salt of the earth white male
* 1 vaguely relating to the wages of Lewis Dunk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
When did I say that? As unedifying is this may sound 'tackling racism' is not on my agenda. I have far more important things in my life to concentrate on, like keeping my job / my home / the wellbeing of my family and friends in the face of a worldwide pandemic. Seeing more BAME representation in the dugout and the boardroom is the least of my worries. If most people are honest they would probably say the same. This doesn't make me a racist but a realist but no doubt I'll get a whole load of abuse for saying what I've said.

Discussing it obviously is though. Maybe you should spend less time on here telling us that you haven't got time to tackle racism and more time concentrating on the things that you don't have time to concentrate on because you are on here telling us that you don't have time to tackle racism.

What with posting on here and watching some players take a knee for 20 seconds at the beginning of a football match I am surprised you have time for anything else. Modern life eh?

:lolol::lolol:

Do you believe that people who disagree with you about other topics are lying? or is it just this one?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Is he an Albion fan?

68 posts so far:

You must be mistaken, he has no time for that. :lolol:

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
Discussing it obviously is though. Maybe you should spend less time on here telling us that you haven't got time to tackle racism and more time concentrating on the things that you don't have time to concentrate on because you are on here telling us that you don't have time to tackle racism.

What with posting on here and watching some players take a knee for 20 seconds at the beginning of a football match I am surprised you have time for anything else. Modern life eh?

:lolol::lolol:

Do you believe that people who disagree with you about other topics are lying? or is it just this one?

What do you do to tackle racism?

Where did I say people are lying?

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
Is he an Albion fan?

68 posts so far:

Get a life would you. Its a chat forum about many different topics, I have the right to post on any thread I like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports