Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many people who thing the FA cup is a distraction went to the cup final?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I went to both games , I love the FA Cup still the best domestic sports tournament in the World.
However this time round the getting into the PL is far more important.
I hate seeing Albion lose but yesterday I'm really not that fraut about.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I was 11 and my dad didn't like football so I watched both 1983 games on the telly. They were the best / worst Albion games of my life in a way. The only other time I'd seen us live on telly was v Norwich in the quarters. The helicopter, the white shoes, FA Cup Grandstand. Wonderful stuff till we lost.

It's not the same competition now. You can watch a live game every day of the week. Teams play their reserves and no one bothers to turn up to watch (how many of us would go to Stamford Bridge for a twice postponed second replay, Palace or no Palace?

I couldn't give a f*** that we lost yesterday. I just didn't want a replay. The only people I feel sorry for are our fans who went and were treated to what sounded like an awful display, but then again I've seen us play much worse in other Northern shiteholes and had a cracking day out on the booze with my mates.

The FA have not helped maintain their prestige competition (the Final should ALWAYS be the season ender IMHO) but it's ruination can be laid firmly at the doors of Sky.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No more cup football for the albion for 8 months.

I hope we get a home draw.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Devils advocate, how would you feel at the end of the season if Brighton missed the play offs but Hull made it to the final as the draw was forgiving to them?

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Yes I went to the final and replay and I still got them of VHS. I have watched the final a couple of times but I have not watched the replay. I just can't put myself through it. I must admit the FA Cup has changed for the worse for the top teams as well as the not so. They play their seconds/under 21s/none hopers. It's not that we got beat at Hull yesterday, I don't mind losing occasionally. What I can't stand is giving up without a fight. I know about the injuries etc and its a fine line to who to put in the team and who to leave out but whoever is in the team please try their hardest.

SlamDunk

Jan 7, 2016
Couldn't care less we are out. CH played a team of fri he players who had a chance to prove themselves and very few did. Ridgewell looked solid and Maenpaa was also excellent. Excited to see what Towell has to offer in the league. If we played a stronger team, beat Hull but lost another first teamer to injury I'm sure the atmosphere on here would be a lot worse.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
how many of us would go to Stamford Bridge for a twice postponed second replay, Palace or no Palace?

I don't recall that many of us made the effort back then, to be honest. Very small crowd from memory.

I did both Wembley games and still love the FA Cup. It annoys me that so many teams treat it with disdain. However, yesterday it was more important to rest key players and see what the backup is made of due to the number of injuries we've got. It didn't look good.

I still don't like what the Premier League is and hate Sky with a vengeance, but accept that for the time being at least, the Albion needs to be part of that club. For better or worse, it the only way that we can avoid needing a wealthy benefactor piling in his personal fortune. While I admire Tony Bloom, I also wonder if he regrets the call he made.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's not that I think the FA Cup is unimportant. It's that I think the FA Cup is unimportant this year.

We've got a good chance, I feel, of going up this year and a cup run is an unnecessary distraction from the bigger picture.

I'm annoyed about the Hull game, not because we lost, but because fringe players who were given a chance didn't exactly jump at it.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
It's not that I think the FA Cup is unimportant. It's that I think the FA Cup is unimportant this year.

We've got a good chance, I feel, of going up this year and a cup run is an unnecessary distraction from the bigger picture.

I'm annoyed about the Hull game, not because we lost, but because fringe players who were given a chance didn't exactly jump at it.

This

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I don't recall that many of us made the effort back then, to be honest. Very small crowd from memory.

I did both Wembley games and still love the FA Cup. It annoys me that so many teams treat it with disdain. However, yesterday it was more important to rest key players and see what the backup is made of due to the number of injuries we've got. It didn't look good.

I still don't like what the Premier League is and hate Sky with a vengeance, but accept that for the time being at least, the Albion needs to be part of that club. For better or worse, it the only way that we can avoid needing a wealthy benefactor piling in his personal fortune. While I admire Tony Bloom, I also wonder if he regrets the call he made.

It was 14,600 odd, not great compared to the near 30k for the tie & replay but it was a midweek game, there had been a lot of fixtures and Albion were well supported at league games, and we were heading into the pre-Xmas period. We still had a good few thousand up there but not as much we'd have for an easy Saturday fixture at Selhurst., The weather was also pretty awful that night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here