Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many people who thing the FA cup is a distraction went to the cup final?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Before football was invented the FA Cup was the revenue builder now the Premier League is paved with gold. Simples.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I went to the first final. I agree that times have changed though, and I have to say that even by modern FA Cup standards this season's apathy both for us and for the tournament generally has plumbed a new low.

Liverpool's team selection on Friday set the tone for the weekend and when it's no shock at all when Exeter get a draw you know there's a problem.

Arguably, it's even below the League Cup in the eyes of some clubs as, unlike the former, it culminates at the business end of the league season.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
fa cup final ....less than 1 million......promotion 120,000,000 quid ....it's a no brainer really....!! and i was at the farkin replay....:facepalm:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It is interesting, and maybe misreading it, but in the two threads about today's game it looks as though the more older posters are really fecked off at our dismal effort in the FA Cup.

Is that because a few of us remember in my opinion the greatest day of our clubs history, the FA Cup final at Wembley when we were watched by most of the worlds sports fans on one fantastic day? And we know just how it could be.

Or is it that our fans now seem to think that our efforts should just be concentrated on getting to a premier league that some on here treat with distain? So in effect writing off all forms of cup competitions.

Interesting if the younger members of our fan base care not a jot about anything but the league.

I see the irony to which you are alluding. Like most/all older folk on here, I was at Wembley, and the FA Cup holds cherished memories. But the decision to let Man Utd opt out, plus the entry of foreign coaches into the British game, who are not schooled in the tradition, have slowly eroded the magic of the cup, unless you reach the latter stages. Everyone knew what sort of team was going to be fielded yesterday, doubtless for very good reasons, plus the fact it was a less than romantic draw of Hull away, and so inevitably you lose interest. We do have other priorities this year, and so I suspect that that there were not mass suicidal feelings at our exit. Had it been another Arsenal at home draw, then attitudes would have been very different , and so I hope that the F A Cup can still rise from the ashes in the future.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Too young to have gone on my own and I'm extremely sad that the FA Cup has been massively undervalued recently. Other years I have been upset that we played reserves but not this year. Anyone who has been to the last few games will have seen the apparent tiredness in the players. We do not play an old fashioned 4-4-2 as some seem to think. Many managers/ex pros have commented on how everyone in CH's team knows their role. This is a high energy movement game with plenty of covering for players who leave their position - recently Crofts covering Bruno for example. To make this work, we probably need some squad rotation and the large number of injuries has meant pretty much the same team week in week out. Throw in illness and giving nearly the whole first team a game off was probably very wise.

Very sadly, FA Cup RIP. Far too much money in the promised land mean that very few teams will bother with it. The Europa League replacing the Cup Winners Cup means that most teams don't want a place in Europe as there are too many games. And the allure of beating Hull away to have a chance of playing Arsenal's reserves isn't great. As a competition, football was best in the 80s for me - different Division 1 winners as well as FA Cup shocks such as Wimbledon. Along came Sky and it has become a closed shop for a select few. How many consecutive live FA Cup games have Man U had now? How many times have Leeds and Forest been live the year regardless of their poor form? TV chases ratings and throws money at big teams. All you can do is try and become a big team and winning the FA Cup doesn't do that any more.

I think we have to grit our teeth and put up with it because we are stuck with it. The talk of £10 million bids to buy players from an agent depresses me profoundly. As does the amount we spend on agent fees. But take a stand against it and League 1 beckons. All you can do is chase the bright lights of the PL to play with the big boys. And one of the casualties seems to be the FA Cup. The League Cup is barely twitching and the FA Cup is probably on life support.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I think the FA cup is alive and kicking its just not the priority for every team, in particular teams at the top of the championship; once any team goes up to the PL is a very valid target.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
These days, the FA Cup matters if you're a PL team who has a realistic chance of winning it or for lower league teams who would really benefit from the financial rewards of a cup run or one-off replay at a big ground.

For most Championship clubs, it is an unwanted distraction. I'm not bothered one jot that we're out.

Promotion to the PL or a run in the FA Cup (even an FA Cup win)? Absolutely no contest.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I went to the final & replay and it was a fantastic time on both occasions. However this year I wasn't bothered because of our horrendous injury situation. I think any supporter would have loved us to progress further but I am afraid circumstances would not benefit our league form. Had we won yesterday and had a couple more games in the cup, against anyone we may have picked up more injuries. No ....this season best we concentrate on staying in the top six with a sniff of the automatics. We have to stabilise our position or else we could tumble down the table.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Most on here are pooh-poohing the FACup as its in its early stages and glory seems a long way off but I guarantee that everyone on here will be at Wembley, if we reach the Championship play-off final.
Funny how you spend all season engaged in a league struggle but can then end up in a knockout cup competition, that ends up at Wembley. It is a cup competition because the winners from all three divisions get a huge trophy and parade it around the pitch. Much more than the second place team in the league get. There is no runners-up trophy.
I have fallen into the trap of believing it is meaningless to us this season but only cos it was Hull away and we have loads of injuries. Derby have got just as much as us to play for but put a hell of a good side out yesterday and won. Clement doesn't seem too bothered by the distraction. He wanted to get his players back on the winning track after the last defeat v Boro. Burnley put out a good side v Boro, as I suspect that Dyche wanted to put down a psychological marker and he knew Boro might not be 100% committed. Had we put a bit more into yesterday, it might have made our next trip to Hull a bit easier.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
No I didn't go (too young)

I would say that the money for the top flight is very different to then and the FA cup runs aren't as important financially anymore which is why a lot of PL teams play their reserves / youngsters, devaluing the competition meaning it doesn't have the same Worldwide appeal too as it once had

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Most on here are pooh-poohing the FACup as its in its early stages and glory seems a long way off but I guarantee that everyone on here will be at Wembley, if we reach the Championship play-off final.
Funny how you spend all season engaged in a league struggle but can then end up in a knockout cup competition, that ends up at Wembley. It is a cup competition because the winners from all three divisions get a huge trophy and parade it around the pitch. Much more than the second place team in the league get. There is no runners-up trophy.
I have fallen into the trap of believing it is meaningless to us this season but only cos it was Hull away and we have loads of injuries. Derby have got just as much as us to play for but put a hell of a good side out yesterday and won. Clement doesn't seem too bothered by the distraction. He wanted to get his players back on the winning track after the last defeat v Boro. Burnley put out a good side v Boro, as I suspect that Dyche wanted to put down a psychological marker and he knew Boro might not be 100% committed. Had we put a bit more into yesterday, it might have made our next trip to Hull a bit easier.

Winner of the play-offs gets at least £100m, (parachute payments, TV rights, etc) winner of the FA cup gets around £4m with prize money, TV money and gate receipts.

Would you be happy if we were to miss our chance at the PL because of a long cup run (where we could lose more key players to injury)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Perhaps we should have concentrated on the league in 1982/3.
I was going to post something similar and that would be the more interesting question.
Survival in the top flight in 83 (and probably beyond, without all the debts we incurred by relegation and near extinction as a result) or an FA cup final defeat and relegation

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
so basically then most posters on NSC are subscribing to the fact of BHA never winning anything because they ain't gonna win the premier league anytime soon
but as long as the money keeps rolling in all is good,who needs history just pound notes will do!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
so basically then most posters on NSC are subscribing to the fact of BHA never winning anything because they ain't gonna win the premier league anytime soon
but as long as the money keeps rolling in all is good,who needs history just pound notes will do!

We are losing millions every season, if promotion means we break even or make a profit and don't have to rely on one person to keep us going then yes, money is far more important

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Only care about the league this season.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
There is no runners-up trophy.

180252629.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports