Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Many International Teams Do You Qualify For?

nipponseagull

Apr 17, 2011
England [born & raised] & Japan [live] & possibly Ireland [as I have an Irish name !!] playing ability wise ..erm whose the lowest ranking FIFA team ? !!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Republic of Ireland (father) which I have always chosen or England through birth and my mums side. She is half Swiss but not sure I'd ever find the paperwork to play for them!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
EDIT: I was under the impression the rules were up to the nationality of a great grandparent**

England, Scotland, Albania (depending on which relative was telling the truth - been told my great grandparents were albania, and that they weren't bu thier parents were)

On a different note, what's the most amount of countries a person could hypothetically be eligible to play for?

1) Where you were born
2) mum
3) dad
4) mum's mum (grandparent)
5) mum's dad (grandparent)
6) dad's mum (grandparent)
7) dad's dad (grandparent)
8) mum's mum's mum (great grandparent)
9) mum's mum's dad (great grandparent)
10) mum's dad's mum (great grandparent)
11) mum's dad's dad (great grandparent)
12) dad's mum's mum (great grandparent)
13) dad's mum's dad (great grandparent)
14) dad's dad's mum (great grandparent)
15) dad's dad's dad (great grandparent)

I think you can also be naturalised by a country thus become eligible for them (I believe I have heard that Spain have done this with a Brazilian)

So, by my count 16.**

Just checked the regulations

Any Player who ... [assumes] a new nationality and who has not played international football [in a match ... in an official competition of any category or any type of football for one Association] shall be eligible to play for the new representative team only if he fulfills one of the following conditions:
(a) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
(b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
(c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
(d) He has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant Association.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_eligibility_rules

So, a-c makes it 7, d would make it 8.

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
Me England by birth, USA by being here as a legal resident for 10 years.

My sons get to choose from: England = me, USA = birth, China = mum.

Not a bad situation, from one old super power, to a current super power to the future super power. Take your pick fellas.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I think i might be squeezed into the UK teams, South Africa and Israel, if my mum's mum's jewishness has anything to do with it. I think i'd go for Northern Ireland to live with an expected disappointment and very low expectations.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
England and Spain.

Sorry Jack, I've never much liked tackling. Obviously my dad's side coming through and summer's spent playing football on the beaches of Galicia.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
England. My youngest qualifies for England and SA, I guess, and as he is developing into a whizzy left arm bowler and there is already a player with the same name in the SA squad, he will play for England (having 2 players of the same name in the same team will confuse the hell out of some over here!) :)

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
England, Australia, Malta, Gibralter.

I think I could probably get at least a bench spot for the latter.

Latter two actually :)

I am qualified to play for Malta by residence. But way too old and unfit even for them! Also for England but they never came calling :(

The Maltese Rugby Team is made up of all sorts of expats but they are gradually replacing them with homegrown players.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
England, Scotland and Spain.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
England, Wales and Yorkshire.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
England and Wales, often surprised I haven't had the call up for the latter, I can only assume that they don't know of my qualification via my grandfather.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
England, Eire, New Zealand (residency) and if it goes up to great grandparent then my great grandmother was Jamaican (looks like Larry Gomes) from the photographs that I have seen of her.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I drank a pint of Guinness once so does that mean I qualify for the Republic of Ireland?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here