Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many days a year, on average, do you take off work sck?

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
I've had 6 days off through sickness in the last 6 years. There have been times where I've been sick that I've "worked from home" but sometimes that just seems like too much effort.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
That kind of suggests that the sickie as part of your holiday entitlement culture is as good as dead. If most people are taking no more than a couple of days a year, then the average is pushed up by people with genuine long term problems, who need to take a lot more time, due to illness or injury.

A company I use to work for had a few people taking 20+ per year.
They took the poor decision to write to everyone individually slagging off the sickness in the company and staring that up to 10 days was ok but beyond that would instigate the company Doctors involvement.
Many of those on zero or 1 or 2 a year for many years then moved to 8 or 9 in disgust at being insulted as to their attendance in writing when that had tried hard to keep it down in the past

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
One of the weirder things about not commuting on a train or working with people that do - sadly there just are no commuter trains here - is how I've simply stopped getting colds/flu etc. I used to get every airborne ailment going, mainly due to an ex-colleague who'd generously broadcast his sneezes around the office and watch everyone else get sick within the following week or so, the little charmer.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I started work in 1979 and have worked full time ever since.
I had two days off sick with flu in 2002 (when I could genuinely barely stand), otherwise I've not had any sick days. On a couple of occasions I've worked from home when I've had a cold, to avoid giving it to colleagues, but I generally do more work on a day at home than when I come into work, so I don't count those as days off sick.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Taken one in 11 months in this job, that was about my average in the last place bar being signed off for two weeks once. edit: and most of that was spent working remotely from diving distance of the toilet

6.6 seems either fairly high for non-certified (more than I expect you'd be paid for, most places) or a bit low for including certified, based on how many people here get signed off for one/two weeks at a time for various reasons.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
1 this year, Iliterally hadnt slept for 2 days (sleeping issues) had an agreement with my manager that I could catch up sleep if/when I could get it and work from home when I felt up to it.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
big fat zero for me.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Never had a day off in 12 years of teaching. Never missed a day of school either. What a loser eh.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Amazing how many people have 0 sick days when they do not get paid for them isn't it.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Averaging about 1 a year at the moment. Longest I've had is 2 weeks off due to PTD after an incident at work.

Luckily enough my work are flexible and happily let me do half-days if im feeling ill, and just make the time up the next day. Dont get paid leave at my place unless its more than 5 days.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Never had a day off in 12 years of teaching. Never missed a day of school either. What a loser eh.

Same here. Maybe just lucky but in that time, I've honestly never felt that rough that I didn't feel I could do my normal thing. I've just genuinely not seemed to be ill. The very idea of calling in sick makes me nervous, for some inexplicable reason, I'd feel guilty even if I was on my last legs.

Probably doomed myself to some horrible condition now :) Had a few self-inflicted days in that time where I've felt awful, mind, but they've always been on weekends, inevitably after Albion games. Never do that during the week if I've got to work the next day.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have a lad who I have to line manage, and he takes the piss. 8-10 a year, always single days, nearly always Mondays. Everything is stacked in their favour these days - so difficult to properly take them to task for it.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Same here. Maybe just lucky but in that time, I've honestly never felt that rough that I didn't feel I could do my normal thing. I've just genuinely not seemed to be ill. The very idea of calling in sick makes me nervous, for some inexplicable reason, I'd feel guilty even if I was on my last legs.

Probably doomed myself to some horrible condition now :) Had a few self-inflicted days in that time where I've felt awful, mind, but they've always been on weekends, inevitably after Albion games. Never do that during the week if I've got to work the next day.

Think I have an iron stomach. I have managed to not be sick or have the shits at all in Africa which believe me is some going. Felt a bit rough but never ill enough to justify a day off. Did you get ill in India? If not you may have the iron stomach too.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Think I have an iron stomach. I have managed to not be sick or have the shits at all in Africa which believe me is some going. Felt a bit rough but never ill enough to justify a day off. Did you get ill in India? If not you may have the iron stomach too.

No, I was quite pleased with that, as I fully expected some sort of stomach catastrophe to be all part of the Indian experience :) [MENTION=687]Carrot Cruncher[/MENTION] had a rather bad case of Delhi Belly upon our return, and Mark got dysentery which necessitated him spending time in hospital in (I think) Shimla, and eventually being flown home :lolol:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I've apparently not had a sick day for four years

A company I use to work for had a few people taking 20+ per year.
They took the poor decision to write to everyone individually slagging off the sickness in the company and staring that up to 10 days was ok but beyond that would instigate the company Doctors involvement.
Many of those on zero or 1 or 2 a year for many years then moved to 8 or 9 in disgust at being insulted as to their attendance in writing when that had tried hard to keep it down in the past

Company my wife used to work for gave their staff 20 days sick per year, it got to the point where staff were asking HR how many sick days they had left and using them as extra Holiday days.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
From memory, 2 days last year, none the year before, and one the year before that. I'm lucky and don't seem to get ill although I broke two fingers playing rugby last year. With the broken fingers the company were able to make adaptions for me in the office, and did allow me several paid half-days to attend fracture clinic and physio - they like their staff to play sport, so never complain when we come in with sporting injuries.

Having said that, there is nothing I hate more than the 'heroes' that "haven't had a day off sick in 20 years." Every office has one of these people that come in when they are clearly ill and spread their filthy germs around the office. These people are then the first to complain the following week when everybody is off ill due to the germs that the aforementioned 'hero' brought into the office.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I has to have 4 weeks off post op but worked from home after a week.

I think I last had a day off sick around 5 years ago

We have a system at work called the Bradford Factor which is a calculation on sickess within certain time and if you breach it you are monitored for 12 weeks to get you to stop being sick

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here