Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many days a year, on average, do you take off work sck?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On a slightly related theme when I was working at home I got stuck in London a few years back due to snow (after the Arade Fire gig), and only got back to Brighton mid afternoon. It was a bit odd calling into work to inform them I could not get to my desk. My boss did say that I was the first person she had come across who worked from home and had to take a day off due to bad weather.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I've had probably had 10 days off this year and something similar last year. I am not selfish enough to come into work when sick and risk dpreading the sickness to the rest of the workforce. If in doubt keep out (of the office) is my motto.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I haven't been unwell enough over the last few years to take any proper sick days off. I'm another that if I'm unwell, or not feeling 100%, I will just work from home to avoid spreading whatever bug around the office.

I'm lucky that my job doesn't involve a huge amount of conference calls or face-to-face meetings, so it doesn't really matter whether I'm doing the job from home or the office.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
None, I am a contractor! :) Take the flu jab every year, which reminds me, it must be due now!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Usually 0-2, but occasionally much more - eg last year, I had to take about 10 days off for hospital treatment. Presumably there are stats around whether people are taking 7 or 8 x 1 day's sickness, or whether it's big blocks of time very occasionally when you have something serious.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
The last day off I had was the Monday after Palace away in Dec 2012, got a bit tanked that Saturday and fell over and broke my finger. Before that I have no idea when the last time was. So way less than one day a year for me.

Even then I took it as holiday!

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
I work for myself, so none. Even when I'm sick I still lay there feeling sorry for myself with my laptop placed on my stomach. It's like an extra limb.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The average is down from 7.6 to 6.6 days a year by all accounts - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29504568

How does that your sick leave stack up with that?

That kind of suggests that the sickie as part of your holiday entitlement culture is as good as dead. If most people are taking no more than a couple of days a year, then the average is pushed up by people with genuine long term problems, who need to take a lot more time, due to illness or injury.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Not had a day off sick since 1999. Despite working in public sector and being entitled to paid sick etc

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Rarely until the beginning of the year, when I came perilously close to pneumonia.
Apparently they 'caught' it in time...feck only knows what a full blown pneumonia illness is like... i can only imagine its fecking dreadful

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
None.

I had one day off off "sick" around 2003, because I needed to attend a job interview that I knew I wouldn't be permitted time off for.

The other one I can remember is when the Albion had a particularly crucial game and, again, I'd already assessed my chances of taking annual leave as zero. No point in even asking for it, as that would wreck the chances of a sudden & unexpected 24 hour bug occurring when the time came.

The person who answered the phone in the office that day was possibly the only woman in the entire place who knew the Albion were facing an important match at 3pm. As I pathetically croaked the bad news down the line, she somehow managed to put on a quite authentic sounding note of sympathy, replying "Well not to worry. You just concentrate on getting better. And let's hope the Albion win too".
:whistle:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
3 days in 45 years up to last year. Then 15 months off in one go.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Normally zero. I've been injured before but I normally work from home in those instances. Probably had around two or three weeks off in total in nearly 30 years. On the odd occasion I am hanging after some over-indulgence I'll take the day as holiday rather than 'sick'.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
3 sick days in 18 years. None in the last 7

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here