Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Long Before The Fans Turn on Poyet?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Any day now.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
Just thought I'd refresh what I think was the winning response at the beginning of this thread:

'Anyone who'd even consider calling for Poyet to be sacked is an embarrassing clueless dickhead'

...very memorable

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
So, all those who were using the end of last seasons stats as a 'current' record (i.e no win in 10 games etc etc) do you still do that?

Do you now claim that we've only won 4 of the last 15 (or whather it is), or do you now forget about last season, like you should have before...

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Everyone is entitled to their views though. If the likes of @Mr_Burns and @Sir_Albion think that football under Gus is negative and boring they are free to state that.
Anyone who thought the football under Gus at the end of last season was anything but negative and boring, obviously didn't go to many games, and probably wasn't at Swindon either,

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Yup, and we're just as entitled to tell them they're talking absolute bollocks, and for that to then be proved (once again, exactly the same as happened 2nd season in League one) on the pitch.
What a smug :tosser: you are. All that people where critising Poyet for, was lack of Plan B, and saying the style needs to go more direct. I think its fair to say the style this season is far more direct, and the team can mix and match the way they play, and we are going to far harder to beat this season. Basically a lot of people that were being "negative" have got what they wanted. Playing to CMS strengths, playing more direct, and being able to change the style of play. Can't really see why so many are being so smug on this thread.

People are also making out that people wanted Gus sacked after Cardiff. I don't think there were many or any who actually said that, although ome posters manage to read what they want to read and not what is wrote. If you really think people wouldn't have been on Poyets back by now (which was hte question the OP asked) if we still hadn't scored or won by now, or even Barnsley or Sheffield Wed, then you are living in dream land. My main thing about Poyet is being able to get his team out of a bad run. Hopefully he won't have to do that this season. Maybe I should go an mock the 90% of posters who voted Barnes was better than CMS.... although anyone with half a brain didn't need to sit tight for a few wins to see that, before giving it large :lol:

Last edited:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
So, all those who were using the end of last seasons stats as a 'current' record (i.e no win in 10 games etc etc) do you still do that?

Do you now claim that we've only won 4 of the last 15 (or whather it is), or do you now forget about last season, like you should have before...
I did. And now I don't. There's been enough games played now, to see that Poyet's style has changed from last season. If you honestly saw that in the opening three games at Swindon Hull and Cardiff, then well played you. i call it hindsight. I doubt if more than a handful on here saw the Hull and Swindon game live, so most were judging on one game, so I cannot see how you could not judge the situation on the back end of last season.

If we shouldn't have taken those games in account, do you take Gus' promotion season into account, or the excellent start we had last season into account when you make a judgement on him. If you do, then why?

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
What a smug :tosser: you are. All people where critising Poyet for, was lack of Plan B, and saying the style needs to go more direct. I think its fair to say the style this season is far more direct, and the team can mix and match the way they play, and we are going to far harder to beat this season. Basically a lot of people that were being "negative" have got what they wanted. Playing to CMS strengths, playing more direct, and being able to change the style of play. Can't really see why so many are being so smug on this thread.

People are also making out that people wanted Gus sacked after Cardiff. I don't think there were many or any who actually said that, although ome posters manage to read what they want to read and not what is wrote. If you really think people wouldn't have been on Poyets back by now (which was hte question the OP asked) if we still hadn't scored or won by now, or even Barnsley or Sheffield Wed, then you are living in dream land. My main thing about Poyet is being able to get his team out of a bad run. Hopefully he won't have to do that this season. Maybe I should go an mock the 90% of posters who voted Barnes was better than CMS.... although anyone with half a brain didn't need to sit tight for a few wins to see that, before giving it large :lol:

Don't think ALL people were critising poyet? I certainly wasn't and had the foresight to see what he was trying to achieve and still is. Big if, but if, we get promoted you can probably expect more possession football to start with.

Poyet is a very talented manager, possibly one of the most talented in the whole country. We re extremely lucky to have him here at our football club. Whilst everyone is entitled to opinions and their critical analysis it does come across as negative dog shit sometimes.:lol:

Last edited:

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Anyone who thought the football under Gus at the end of last season was anything but negative and boring, obviously didn't go to many games, and probably wasn't at Swindon either,

I find it amazing how short people's memories are.I went to over 40 games last season & yes at times we run out of ideas especially away from home but come on look where we are & where we were 10 years ago.

Yes with or without poyet we would still have the Amex but without gus would we have increased the Amex capacity after 1 year,would we be able to attract players like vicente,bruno,bridge etc.would people be posting on how long he has got.

As much as posts like this wind me up it also prooves what ambition that gus has installed into the club that after finishing 9th last season people think we can do better.

As a 39 year old I can honestly say this is the best Albion team I have ever seen on a regular basis.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Just thought I'd refresh what I think was the winning response at the beginning of this thread:

'Anyone who'd even consider calling for Poyet to be sacked is an embarrassing clueless dickhead'

...very memorable
Whilst it's a spot on post, it wasn't really a winning post in this thread, because I don't think anyone in this thread actually called for that.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I find it amazing how short people's memories are.I went to over 40 games last season & yes at times we run out of ideas especially away from home but come on look where we are & where we were 10 years ago.

Yes with or without poyet we would still have the Amex but without gus would we have increased the Amex capacity after 1 year,would we be able to attract players like vicente,bruno,bridge etc.would people be posting on how long he has got.

As much as posts like this wind me up it also prooves what ambition that gus has installed into the club that after finishing 9th last season people think we can do better.

As a 39 year old I can honestly say this is the best Albion team I have ever seen on a regular basis.
And I can honestly say the performace against Sheffield Weds was probably one of the best I can ever recall from a Brighton side. Whilst whilst some people don't like people using the poor runs of form from last season, I don't think we can keep looking back 10 years.

For what its worth, I'm as happy as pig in shit at the moment. I think and always said Poyet has built a squad capable of promotion. I just doubted he was willing to change the style, and had good reason to, as he said himself he won't, but we are now more direct, playing to CMS, and reaping the rewards.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Don't think ALL people were critising poyet? I certainly wasn't and had the foresight to see what he was trying to achieve and still is. Big if, but if, we get promoted you can probably expect more possession football to start with.

Poyet is a very talented manager, possibly one of the most talented in the whole country. We re extremely lucky to have him here at our football club. Whilst everyone is entitled to opinions and their critical analysis it does come across as negative dog shit sometimes.
Sorry my fault, missed a word out. I didn't mean ALL People, I meant to say all that people (the ones who were critical.... not everyone :lol:) Saying "all people" sounds right when you say it in a certain way, but not when its typed!!

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I don't think we're playing more direct at all.

The last 4 goals by CMS;

A penalty
Bruno skills out some defenders and passes it to him
An overhead kick from a cross
A volley after it's chested down to him... from a cross

None of those are because balls are being played into the channels for him to chase or because he's playing on the shoulder of the last man.

We're just better at what we did last season.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I don't think we're playing more direct at all.

The last 4 goals by CMS;

A penalty
Bruno skills out some defenders and passes it to him
An overhead kick from a cross
A volley after it's chested down to him... from a cross

None of those are because balls are being played into the channels for him to chase or because he's playing on the shoulder of the last man.

We're just better at what we did last season.
I think we are. Not so much as more direct in playing hoof ball, but more direct as in getting the ball forward much quicker. Although it has happened, I don't recall nearly as much of playing the ball pointlessly between the keeper, El Abd and Greer and back again, and again and again. It's far more direct as in lets get it forward quicker and stop messing around with it at the back, as team work out how, and did counter that, hence my moans about Poyet not changing things at the end of last season when we were still in with a shout.

Last season it was like a wait wait wait style of play, and then try and play through them, and sides worked it out and we couldn't and didn't. hence a poor goal return. Now we are doing things quicker and more direct (pace not hoofball) teams are struggling to play against it.. for now. The big test will come when teams work out a counter and stop us playing like they did last season, but I think we have already proved we have the team now that can play plan b. Last season we didn't, and that in my opinion down to Poyet now working out a plan B with what players he had available to him. But he's got the players now, and he has the plan B.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I think we are. Not so much as more direct in playing hoof ball, but more direct as in getting the ball forward much quicker. Although it has happened, I don't recall nearly as much of playing the ball pointlessly between the keeper, El Abd and Greer and back again, and again and again. It's far more direct as in lets get it forward quicker and stop messing around with it at the back, as team work out how, and did counter that, hence my moans about Poyet not changing things at the end of last season when we were still in with a shout.

Last season it was like a wait wait wait style of play, and then try and play through them, and sides worked it out and we couldn't and didn't. hence a poor goal return. Now we are doing things quicker and more direct (pace not hoofball) teams are struggling to play against it.. for now. The big test will come when teams work out a counter and stop us playing like they did last season, but I think we have already proved we have the team now that can play plan b. Last season we didn't, and that in my opinion down to Poyet now working out a plan B with what players he had available to him. But he's got the players now, and he has the plan B.

No I don't think so...

We still play possession football. We just play it better. Last season players were static and didn't show for the ball. This season they are.

If you watch Bridcutt you will seem constantly reminding the players to slow it down and making them play short passes. He did it time and again against Wednesday. In fact he pretty much dictates how we play, the MAJOR difference is that Crofts/Hammond offer him a lot more support (aswell as Bridge and Bruno) than he got last season.

Plus for some reason I can't fathom, Dicker seems to have turned into Pirlo.

Anyway it's all opinions. So who cares.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

But isn't it a case of needing the players to play the way that Gus wants?

Last year we didn't have them, this season............to date, it appears that we do?

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
But isn't it a case of needing the players to play the way that Gus wants?

Last year we didn't have them, this season............to date, it appears that we do?

After 6 games there are 2 reasons why we are doing better

(1) we have some better players
(2) more importantly we are learning when to keep the ball & when to play the ball.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Improvements....Well passing is much more faster and crisp,getting forward much quicker,holding the ball up...let's face it,some of the new players have improved this squad no end....just a small stat....first season at Withers we finished 10th...next season promotion...second to last season season...10th...next season...promotion....first season at the Amex we finished 10th...this season...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here