Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Long Before The Fans Turn on Poyet?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Jesus, two games! Two f***ing games and you are already into Gus. The transfer window isn't shut, we've outplayed two teams who will be there or thereabouts, our best player isn't fit just yet, we've addressed most of our weaknesses from last season and you want one of the most talented young managers in the country out?

Proper proper mugs...

Not a mug really. How have we addressed our weaknesses from last season, ie lack of goals with 0 goals in 3 games ? I want Gus to stay and succeed but he is a good manager at best, potentially a great manager but at the moment a good manager that is all.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Not a mug really. How have we addressed our weaknesses from last season, ie lack of goals with 0 goals in 3 games ? I want Gus to stay and succeed but he is a good manager at best, potentially a great manager but at the moment a good manager that is all.

But if the team keep on playing as well as they have during those 2 games the goals will come,

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
How interesting that we have already lost sight of the risks of driving straight back into a financial mire - "the Board have to buy - they have to take the opportunity now" - we don't learn either by our own experience or that of others.

Sad really but I'm sure that view will ultimately drive Poyet away and maybe even Bloom one day. Not over-reacting at all but "fans'" expectations are sometimes beyond my understanding

Bloom won't go. Poyet , maybe but he is merely a custodian of the ship, there have been many before him and there will be many after him. The ONLY lifers as Harty said are us, the fans, players come and go, we are here until we croak.

Last edited:

Buck

Through & Through
Feb 18, 2009
Not Lewes Any More
How interesting that we have already lost sight of the risks of driving straight back into a financial mire - "the Board have to buy - they have to take the opportunity now" - we don't learn either by our own experience or that of others.

Sad really but I'm sure that view will ultimately drive Poyet away and maybe even Bloom one day. Not over-reacting at all but "fans'" expectations are sometimes beyond my understanding

I think you'll find that TB's expectations for the club are as high as any of the fans. As mentioned in this thread already, the only way he will get a return on his money is when we are in the Premiership

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
I think you may have hit the nail on the head there.

But I'm also of the opinion, that if Gus doesn't get a win let alone a goal in the next couple of games, then Bloom will start asking questions, way before the supporters do. Not saying Bloom will fire him any time soon if things don't pick up, but I don't see Poyet being here for the next transfer window, if we are not in with a serious chance of the play offs by then. We were in with a shout of the play offs last season, that has to be repeated, otherwise to use Poyets own press clippings, we are no longer moving forward. And he has said, he's only here all the time we are moving forward.

However, I'm hoping we spank Barnsley on saturday and doom and gloom is lifted.

Yes, but how much transfer fee money has Gus been handed this Summer? ... so far very little.

If the Board have reined that in, when rivals are buying or taking loanees of quality, we can't blame the continuing lack of goals and also early results all on Gus.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
But if the team keep on playing as well as they have during those 2 games the goals will come,

This " the goals will come " is the thing that alarms me the most.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Yes, but how much transfer fee money has Gus been handed this Summer? ... so far very little.

If the Board have reined that in, when rivals are buying or taking loanees of quality, we can't blame the continuing lack of goals and also early results all on Gus.

I am of the opinion as far as Bloom is concerned " the jury is out " with the money made available to Poyet and the signings he has made, that is why he is keeping his wallet close to his side at the moment.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
But they have played well, had a number of chances, judging after 180 minutes of the season that nothing has changed since last season seems a little premature

10 league games, 0 wins.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I don't understand fans that do not realise this club is now premiership in all but status. They even have facilities geared up for European football now as that is what the expectations are in the medium term. We are not set up as a championship club anymore surely everyone can see that. EVERYTHING is set up for premiership football.

I would love that to be true and when it is realised I will lead the celebrations but for now what we have is AMBITION and some of the necessary infrastructure. When we are actually ABLE to compete financially and that is reflected on the pitch then I will agree with you but for now (in my view) it is rather early days. I am all for optimism but don't assume that we have a god-given right to promotion

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
I am of the opinion as far as Bloom is concerned " the jury is out " with the money made available to Poyet and the signings he has made, that is why he is keeping his wallet close to his side at the moment.

Agreed. The £2.5m rising to £3.25m for one League One player is the one that must alarm TB (an intelligent and savvy Chairman) the most.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Completely agree with that. Far too many of Poyet's signings last season haven't worked out. 3 have been told they have no futures FFS after one season, and his marque signing is struggling to find form to say the least. That's why I think our signings so far, maybe with teh exception of Crofts were no brainers. Any championship manager would take the keeper and two full backs... and probably Crofts. I don't see Gus being allowed to sign any non proven players at the moment. His track record is just not good enough. I do however believe we will make a top signing on the striker front. Still think Bloom is playing a poker like game with QPR over Bobby Z. The longer we go without a striker, the more chance Bloom will go and get Zamora. There was communaction a week or so ago, so its not out of the question.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
But surely 2 games is not that long
It's not. But add together the 8 games at the end of last season, where if you said we looked clueless would be an understatement, its a bit more concerning. We looked cluesless at Swindon, but the only bright point, is we seem to have improved the last couple of games, but we are still drawing blanks, and Poyet is still making these baffling subs decisions.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Completely agree with that. Far too many of Poyet's signings last season haven't worked out. 3 have been told they have no futures FFS after one season, and his marque signing is struggling to find form to say the least. That's why I think our signings so far, maybe with teh exception of Crofts were no brainers. Any championship manager would take the keeper and two full backs... and probably Crofts. I don't see Gus being allowed to sign any non proven players at the moment. His track record is just not good enough. I do however believe we will make a top signing on the striker front. Still think Bloom is playing a poker like game with QPR over Bobby Z. The longer we go without a striker, the more chance Bloom will go and get Zamora. There was communaction a week or so ago, so its not out of the question.

Zamora is 31 and played for England a couple of times quite recently. He is a quality premiership player so I think it is too early for him, maybe 1 to 2 seasons from now as a last hurrah for 2-3 seasons with us but not now. I think Murray is far more likely and I would welcome Murray and CMS upfront and I think that would be excellent.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean

i AGREE WITH ALL OF THAT! As regards the communication with QPR when was that ever common knowledge?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I have no doubts poyet will come under pressure,he's not untouchable that's for sure.
If it continues he will be up for the boot as that's what comes with pressure,he's had a bloody good budget compared to other managers who got us promoted to the championship.
No pressure at withdean
No pressure last season
Pressure starts now as our ambitions grow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here