Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] How is your cooking this lockdown ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Loving all these posts of keep calm and cordon bleu. Good to hear everybody's cooking everything FROM SCRATCH!

Pretentious? Moi? :lolol:

I’m only going to talk about my ‘creations,..... mind you the Pukka pies with mash and beans was still up there.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yes, I want to know your blackened cod recipe please.

I use a slightly (but only slightly) amended version of the dish from the City Barge.

https://www.olivemagazine.com/recip...led-kohlrabi-pak-choi-and-shiitake-mushrooms/

Amendments:

Increase the time you marinade the fish by 25%
Increase the time of pickling the kohlrabi by 100%
Use the non-fan cooking option, and reduce the temperature by 10 degrees (to 170C)
Finish off the cooking by 90 seconds under a hot grill.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I use a slightly (but only slightly) amended version of the dish from the City Barge.

https://www.olivemagazine.com/recip...led-kohlrabi-pak-choi-and-shiitake-mushrooms/

Amendments:

Increase the time you marinade the fish by 25%
Increase the time of pickling the kohlrabi by 100%
Use the non-fan cooking option, and reduce the temperature by 10 degrees (to 170C)
Finish off the cooking by 90 seconds under a hot grill.

Great. I'll see if I can try that one this w/e. I might substitute the kohlrabi for something else. Not my favourite veg (although it sometimes appears in a box). Do you drink sake with it? I have plenty of Riesling, which sounds perfect.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Where are all the pics?!

Made some particularly good naans the other day to go with a homemade motor paneer (except with halloumi instead of paneer as it's tastier).
naan.PNG
Also a pretty decent paella
pae.PNG

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Been following a good food writer called Rachel Roddy who is based in Italy who goes over lots of Italian recipes and explains the tradition of how they were/ are made and today I fancy doing her recipe for Piadina, a soft Italian flat bread served hot with cream cheese, Prosciutto and salad fillings. Sounds marve!

Rachel Roddy writes beautifully. I dont tend to follow recipes but am a regular reader of her column.

Rachel Roddy's an excellent writer. Was flicking through Five Quarters by her yesterday

Another fan of Rachel Roddy here.
My favourite of recipes learned from her is pomodori scoppiati. It's very simple, but absolutely delicious and every year we grow more and more tomatoes so we always have loads to make this and fill the freezer... We've only got 2 portions (for 2) left from last year, so need the toms to hurry up!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...iatelle-recipe-a-kitchen-in-rome-rachel-roddy

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Great. I'll see if I can try that one this w/e. I might substitute the kohlrabi for something else. Not my favourite veg (although it sometimes appears in a box). Do you drink sake with it? I have plenty of Riesling, which sounds perfect.

Yes, I tend to drink a chilled Junmai Daiginjo from Nasaka with it. However, I think a Riesling would indeed be perfect. Probably just slightly off-dry. Perhaps a dryish Alsace VT? Or Austrian? Mosel wouldn't have enough acidity. Or a Gruner?

Oh - There's a brilliant WA state Riesling which fits the bill - Eroica. 2017 is drinking perfectly. £25 ish

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yes, I tend to drink a chilled Junmai Daiginjo from Nasaka with it. However, I think a Riesling would indeed be perfect. Probably just slightly off-dry. Perhaps a dryish Alsace VT? Or Austrian? Mosel wouldn't have enough acidity. Or a Gruner?

Oh - There's a brilliant WA state Riesling which fits the bill - Eroica. 2017 is drinking perfectly. £25 ish

Now that’s the level of pretentiousness we should be striving for here.... Well done Goldstone1976.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Another fan of Rachel Roddy here.
My favourite of recipes learned from her is pomodori scoppiati. It's very simple, but absolutely delicious and every year we grow more and more tomatoes so we always have loads to make this and fill the freezer... We've only got 2 portions (for 2) left from last year, so need the toms to hurry up!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...iatelle-recipe-a-kitchen-in-rome-rachel-roddy

I've done that a few times.

I'd also recommend her Courgette carbonara and amatriciana.

She does lots of simple but good things with greens and pulses

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
To move the conversation on from specific recipes, I've been rather late to come to Samin Nosrat, but her Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat is as wonderful a cook book as I've come across.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I made a strawberry cake last night and it was absolutely tremendous.

I also have a special recipe for pork fajitas I'm going to try tonight, PM me if you want the details.

Please post the recipe, we love fajitas in this house.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Now that’s the level of pretentiousness we should be striving for here.... Well done Goldstone1976.

Also good to know the time one should pickle one's kohlrabi for.

I'm clearly an amateur with my celeriac puree / lamb combo washed down with a Merlot,

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh, and as far as recipe books go, order yourselves Simple by Yotam Ottolenghi, go straight to the recipe for Chicken Marbella, marinate in the morning, cook in the evening and thank me later.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Also good to know the time one should pickle one's kohlrabi for.

I'm clearly an amateur with my celeriac puree / lamb combo washed down with a Merlot,

‘I’ve pickled my kohlrabi’ Verb: to enjoy close relations with an Indian girl.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here