Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] How is your cooking this lockdown ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Been going through the freezer and finding lots of frozen fish so have had some fish pies, Fish Tom Yum, fish curries. Might do a nice Rick Stein dish of Squid, almonds and New Potatoes from his Road to Mexico book which is excellent, the book and the recipe!

Lots of frozen fruit from the plot in the freezer too so been baking various fruit muffins, plenty of fresh Rhubarb up plot so been making Crumble and Rhubarb cake. This has been dependant on the availability of Plain and Self Raising Flour though!

Been following a good food writer called Rachel Roddy who is based in Italy who goes over lots of Italian recipes and explains the tradition of how they were/ are made and today I fancy doing her recipe for Piadina, a soft Italian flat bread served hot with cream cheese, Prosciutto and salad fillings. Sounds marve!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Been going through the freezer and finding lots of frozen fish so have had some fish pies, Fish Tom Yum, fish curries. Might do a nice Rick Stein dish of Squid, almonds and New Potatoes from his Road to Mexico book which is excellent, the book and the recipe!

Lots of frozen fruit from the plot in the freezer too so been baking various fruit muffins, plenty of fresh Rhubarb up plot so been making Crumble and Rhubarb cake. This has been dependant on the availability of Plain and Self Raising Flour though!

Been following a good food writer called Rachel Roddy who is based in Italy who goes over lots of Italian recipes and explains the tradition of how they were/ are made and today I fancy doing her recipe for Piadina, a soft Italian flat bread served hot with cream cheese, Prosciutto and salad fillings. Sounds marve!

Rachel Roddy writes beautifully. I dont tend to follow recipes but am a regular reader of her column.

I'm a keen cook anyway but working from home has given me a little extra time each day. A couple of weeks ago I made some biang biang noodles; stretching out the dough by slapping it on the worktop was as satisfying as it was effective. Served with chard, tofu and chilli bean paste, they were wonderful.

Other than that, in recent weeks I've made dal and flat breads, corn tortillas with black beans, fennel-spiked potato röstis, salt cod fish and chips, and much more.

Attachments

• IMG_20200419_120959181.jpg
    IMG_20200419_120959181.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 107

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I've made a couple of the Jamie "Keep Calm & Cook" recipes, including a lovely minestrone soup

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Rachel Roddy's an excellent writer. Was flicking through Five Quarters by her yesterday

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yesterday I had scampi, chips and peas.

Decant half a pack of McCain Crinkle cut oven chips onto a bake tray and sprinkle with a good amount of salt.

Get the oven fired up to 220c and when ready add the chips to the central shelf.

Decant Young’s Scampi onto a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt.

After the chips have been in the oven for 10 minutes add the scampi to the top shelf and cook both for a further 20 minutes.

Lob some frozen peas into a microwaveable dish/jug and cook for 3 minutes.

Put on plate and in true Jamie style if you haven’t any tartar sauce swap out for mayo or salad cream.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yesterday I had scampi, chips and peas.

Decant half a pack of McCain Crinkle cut oven chips onto a bake tray and sprinkle with a good amount of salt.

Get the oven fired up to 220c and when ready add the chips to the central shelf.

Decant Young’s Scampi onto a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt.

After the chips have been in the oven for 10 minutes add the scampi to the top shelf and cook both for a further 20 minutes.

Lob some frozen peas into a microwaveable dish/jug and cook for 3 minutes.

Put on plate and in true Jamie style if you haven’t any tartar sauce swap out for mayo or salad cream.

Sounds complicated.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Two days ago - a salmon Cambodian-style curry; yesterday - lamb kofta and home made pitta; today - duck cassoulet; tomorrow - blackened cod; Thursday - chilli chicken wings done on the Ofyr (my latest cooking gadget - brilliant, but boy does it eat the wood).

easy_fcf4913f-8a49-4113-821d-064f90f64977_800x.png

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Two days ago - a salmon Cambodian-style curry; yesterday - lamb kofta and home made pitta; today - duck cassoulet; tomorrow - blackened cod; Thursday - chilli chicken wings done on the Ofyr (my latest cooking gadget - brilliant, but boy does it eat the wood).

View attachment 122538

What are you doing dossing down on the ground at the back there?

(Yes, I know it's a picture from ofyr.co.uk, but it does look like you!)

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Had homemade chilli last night, recently had homemade burgers, fish pie and my favourite; butterflied lamb, seasoned, rosemary, thyme, olive oil and mint sauce, tied and put on the rottiserie and basted every 15 minutes. Bloody lovely, the leftovers we had as kebabs the next day, seemed to taste even better.

Anyone thinking of buying a new bbq, get one with a rotisserie, they are awesome. Brilliant for lamb, chicken and I'm thinking of trying to get a small suckling pig to try next.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Had homemade chilli last night, recently had homemade burgers, fish pie and my favourite; butterflied lamb, seasoned, rosemary, thyme, olive oil and mint sauce, tied and put on the rottiserie and basted every 15 minutes. Bloody lovely, the leftovers we had as kebabs the next day, seemed to taste even better.

Anyone thinking of buying a new bbq, get one with a rotisserie, they are awesome. Brilliant for lamb, chicken and I'm thinking of trying to get a small suckling pig to try next.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

A small suckling pig, quite literally pmsl.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

View attachment 122538

I expected nothing less. I'm actually making my second ever batch of pittas at present. The first was a Yotam recipe, which was a bit meh, whereas this one is time-consuming and laborious, so I'm hoping it might be an improvement and, even more so, makes pittas that are easy to open so we can stuff them full of stuff.
I haven't proved too adventurous in terms of new recipes, but it's asparagus season which will keep me going for a while. Tonight's recipe is the satay one:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...ut-salad-gado-gado-anna-jones-the-modern-cook

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

View attachment 122538

Not so sure about the Salmon curry but the rest sounds good! I made some fish sauce-caramel chicken wings the other day which were rather nice.

That Ofyr looks awesome. I want one! (and somewhere to put it :D)

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I made a strawberry cake last night and it was absolutely tremendous.

I also have a special recipe for pork fajitas I'm going to try tonight, PM me if you want the details.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here