Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How is this not ticket touting?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The thing about corporate-level legalized touting like StubHub etc. is that these companies had a minor role once upon a time when it was possible for normal punters to make a bit more of an effort (by queuing up in person, say) to get past them to buy tickets yourself. Now these mega-corps blithely hoover up tickets in order to syphon off their ill-gained cut - so people like Dave here literally can't avoid them if you want actually to buy tickets. It's rubbish and I can't believe anyone could announce that they think that's totally fine with them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The thing about corporate-level legalized touting like StubHub etc. is that these companies had a minor role once upon a time when it was possible for normal punters to make a bit more of an effort (by queuing up in person, say) to get past them to buy tickets yourself. Now these mega-corps blithely hoover up tickets in order to syphon off their ill-gained cut - so people like Dave here literally can't avoid them if you want actually to buy tickets. It's rubbish and I can't believe anyone could announce that they think that's totally fine with them.

Exactly, this is not a free market with everyone having an equal opportunity to get a ticket for a show. This is a rigged market designed to line the pockets of profiteers who had no intention of letting punters have a fair chance of getting a ticket at face-value.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You will be pleased to know that when I win the lottery and re-open the Hippodrome there will be no secondary ticketing allowed, as well as no talking or filming during performances.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
You will be pleased to know that when I win the lottery and re-open the Hippodrome there will be no secondary ticketing allowed, as well as no talking or filming during performances.

People actually film bingo? :dunce:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
This thread is about the secondary market. They don't make a money from this.

There must be some kind of chain in place which runs down from the artist/promoter. If they're selling a whole tour through one ticket operator I would've thought there's a tender process and they'll go with who offers the best package. Everyone knows that ticketmaster rip off the customers so why do artists/promoters keep using them? The answer has to be money.

I'm not condoning this by the way as it's a pretty dishonest and underhand way to operate, I'm just saying that it doesn't surprise me. They're selling a commodity with a finite amount of value so I'm not surprised they use these tactics to milk it for all they can. They could just advertise an inflated price to start with, but I guess that wouldn't create the heightened feeling of scarcity.

The flip side to this is that popular events have always been difficult to get tickets for, perhaps Dave should've tried harder to get the cheap seats when they were first released!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The flip side to this is that popular events have always been difficult to get tickets for, perhaps Dave should've tried harder to get the cheap seats when they were first released!

I take your point and of course you are right, but to be fair, I only really find out about concerts when I get mails from GETMEIN or by scouring the Ticketmaster site.

If am also on the dome mailing list which is also useful.

I was just so incensed that it appeared that they were original first edition prices only to find out the were " secondary"prices.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here