Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How is this not ticket touting?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Touting on the streets is banned and if you stood outside the venue and tried to sell your ticket even at face value you would be quickly moved on by the hired muscle.

But if the online companies who are happy to buy tickets for every event want to double their money it is okay.
Legalised theft or is it just that the police have no interest as it is only Joe Public who are complaining?

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Slightly of topic, I'm here at work bored and looking for and Album to listen to and now i know which one. Back To Front (1992) Thanks. :thumbsup:

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I have just ordered 2 tickets for the wife ( cough ) via O2 Priority moments. Two tickets at face value £65 each and only ( I say only because I was expecting more charges ) £22.75 with postage.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Perhaps a solution would be to have a fixed number of tickets (say 5%} for popular gigs available via eBay type auction sales with the rest on sale to everyone else. Then ban touting. That should keep the "free market" people happy and everyone knows where they stand.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
When i was a teenager I use to be a tout and I did it all via eBay. It paid for numerous holidays and social activities, but what did stop me was the guilt!

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Everybody hates it and moans about it but the vast majority still go ahead and buy them - that there's the problem. No need for an investigation or anything, if people just stopped buying them for three months or so and these companies are left with half empty stadiums and a shed load of tickets on their hands not sold the practice would soon change. Problem is we have no collective will to change anything.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I won't use Getmein, Seat Wave, Viagogo, See or Ticket Master because they are all price gouging wretches.

I will get tickets from Gigsandtours, Ticketweb, occasionally directly through Songkick or We Got Tickets for really small shows. All of these seem to have fairly reasonable fees and are fairly transparent about them during the booking process (especially Songkick). They mostly still use the old chestnut of making you pay to print your own ticket though. Why? You're the one incurring the cost in paper and ink. There should be a law against that. I always tend to ask for a ticket, just to make them do some work.

We Got Tickets deal In gigs so small they usually just mail you a reference number and you give your name at the door. I love those.

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
I won't use Getmein, Seat Wave, Viagogo, See or Ticket Master because they are all price gouging wretches.

I will get tickets from Gigsandtours, Ticketweb, occasionally directly through Songkick or We Got Tickets for really small shows. All of these seem to have fairly reasonable fees and are fairly transparent about them during the booking process (especially Songkick). They mostly still use the old chestnut of making you pay to print your own ticket though. Why? You're the one incurring the cost in paper and ink. There should be a law against that. I always tend to ask for a ticket, just to make them do some work.

We Got Tickets deal In gigs so small they usually just mail you a reference number and you give your name at the door. I love those.

I think GigsandTours is the same as Seetickets but agree with the your conclusions generally. Ticketweb is owned by Ticketmaster but seems to conduct itself fairly well.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I think GigsandTours is the same as Seetickets but agree with the your conclusions generally. Ticketweb is owned by Ticketmaster but seems to conduct itself fairly well.

Agreed. The ownership issue leaves a bit of a sour taste but if I excluded those two I'd pretty much be down to gigs above pubs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
providing a 'Service' which actually isn't required and charging others for the privilege.

This is what gets me. The country is full of agents, services and middle-men getting in the way of all manner of items.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
and yet people keep paying the original ticket prices, the inflated ticket prices and the booking fees. so they must believe the shows have that value.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
and yet people keep paying the original ticket prices, the inflated ticket prices and the booking fees. so they must believe the shows have that value.

I'm sure they do. But it depends how you value the arts. If you just want it accessible to the wealthy than carry on down this road. If you believe it has non-monetry value then we need to do something. I believe in the latter.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm sure they do. But it depends how you value the arts. If you just want it accessible to the wealthy than carry on down this road. If you believe it has non-monetry value then we need to do something. I believe in the latter.

But would the artists want to take a pay cut on what they earn from a tour?
I'm sure if he really wanted Lionel could make sure tickets to his shows were more affordable to the masses

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But would the artists want to take a pay cut on what they earn from a tour?
I'm sure if he really wanted Lionel could make sure tickets to his shows were more affordable to the masses

This thread is about the secondary market. They don't make a money from this.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
This thread is about the secondary market. They don't make a money from this.

Yes they do. Ticketmaster work with the artists to hold back a percentage of tickets for the secondary market and share the profits with the artists.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes they do. Ticketmaster work with the artists to hold back a percentage of tickets for the secondary market and share the profits with the artists.

Is this the case? I know LiveNation double as a promoter so in theory they could, but do Ticketmaster really do as you suggest and go beyond their realm as a ticket agent?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here