Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] How has the year of lockdowns affected you ?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Did you see an increase in all of the above during the first lockdown?
Yes but we have a fixed capacity in our projects with nobody moving on during a lockdown, so day to day we saw the same residents. If that makes sense? In terms of waiting lists, for sure. It went high.
I know people that staff emergency accommodation, that’s where the big increase was apparent.

Made things tricky as we had a couple of very abusive clients who would normally have been moved on, instead we had to put up with abuse from them for about 4 months longer than we would have tolerated such behaviour. That gets very wearing after a while.

We personally have definitely dealt with more self harming and suicide attempts than normal. As well as more turbulent behaviour in general.

It’s also a very risky time for heroin addicts. With no drugs being able to get into the country, what is here is being cut with all sorts of nastiness to make it go further. Addicts are also diversifying and injecting all sorts of stuff.

The results we deal with range form temporary toxic psychosis to people overdosing. And also women going to more ruthless drug dealers who have held on to the market and sex workers taking more risks.

It’s been pretty bloody harsh mate. In October I did over 300 hours. I’ll be working my third Christmas in a row, working 24,25,26 and 27th. If I can be selfish for a moment, I am looking forward to getting vaccinated and going on three weeks leave somewhere very calm and very sunny

Last edited:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Thoroughly sick of it and I'm one of the lucky ones.

Now WFH like many others which is ok most of the time. Lockdown has stopped me doing pretty much all my hobbies. Concerts, football, theatre, golf, swimming, dining out. I could go out on my bike in lockdown 1 after work but really don't fancy it now in the pitch black and freezing cold. Taken my boat out in Chichester Harbour a couple of times which was nice but small round trips to get out of the house more than anything else. Partner is an NHS sister on a dementia ward who just sees the whole thing as business as usual. Staffing on her ward but she says that's pretty normal anyway.

My daughter is at Manchester Uni in her final year and really struggling mentally. I can't imagine the mental strains it is putting on the less fortunate and I count my good fortune in this every day. My 84 year old mum is coping ok and being sensible but I worry about her - not from a Covid perspective but from a mental one.

I really don't think enough emphasis has been put on the mental wellbeing of people through all this. I'd quite like Chris Whitty to do one of his Powerpoints showing some data about the mental impact against that of the virus rather than just constantly create fear with his Don't Hug Granny stuff.

Sometimes Granny needs a hug as we all do.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I'm a theatre stage manager. It has left me having eaten through my savings, given up my car, and am on universal credit.

I am engaged to a girl in Canada, who I normally see 3/4 times a year.

I lost my Aunt and a cousin to Covid.

Essentially the worst year in my life and no sign of anything improving.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
How has it affected me, lockdown one came and I was at home for about 3 weeks, the wife works from home and continued throughout both lockdowns.
Lockdown 1: well it started ok 80% of wages considering I had just received a considerable pay rise a month earlier I was still doing all right. I got plenty of odd jobs done around the house and we went out for plenty of walks with my daughter and wife when she could escape the computer for an hour or two out into sheepcote valley and beyond, I actually enjoyed it, the further into I got, I started to struggle with things to do, no adult contact other than the wife, who god bless I love, but christ you do run out of things to say sometimes. The weather was great and and the evenings getting lighter which was nice, but encouraged by boredom and a lack of will power I started drinking early in the afternoons and was in bed asleep by 8 at night, just thoroughly depressed and unmotivated. I was neglecting the wife and daughter there was so much planned for the spring and summer and I was selfish thinking my life was a waste of time. I was so glad when my boss called up and said there was a tender to work on, and back into the office i went on my own, shortly after the building sites sort of started up again and i was back at it full time.

Lockdown 2: I have been at work throughout and so again is the wife working from home the daughter is at school so this is no different to just before the lockdown or summer to us at the moment. The only difference is not being able to go out for a meal or go shopping, but I am not that bothered by either of them, they are not high on my list of priorities in life anyway, my daughter misses her friends and football clubs in the evenings and weekends.

My overview about both lockdowns from my point of view is I really miss like minded adult contact in a pub, at football or most importantly at a gig meeting my friends who are spread far and wide, who I see more of than family to be honest. I need that kick of adrenalin I get from gigs or football that me time, I really struggle when I am subjected to the wifes friends or daughters parents we have to meet occasionally on lockdown or partial lockdown as it has been, just because they are local.
We seldom see family due to distance and personal reasons anyway, so we have not really missed that side of life, although we usually go to Michigan and then Arizona for a family get together every Christmas and New Year, that is out this year.
I have also felt like I have not had a break, or time to relax at all, we got away for an ill fated week away in Newquay in August for a week, which did not go well weather, and a family member became very ill whilst we were away and preoccupied most of our time away.

Most of the above is very selfish I know, I do not like video calling people, I also avoid phone calls so that does not help, things could be a lot worse as others have unfortunately posted, and a good friend committed suicide at the start of lockdown and two other close old friends from Manchester sadly passed away from covid so I know things could have been worse for me, I am just a moaning old git.

Good luck to everyone else.

Last edited:

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I absolutely hate it.
This thread is great as there are so many like minded people. I'm so fed up of people who seem to be ok or even enjoy it.
I feel guilty for struggling 'because there are so many people worse off' but I am and it's horrible.
I'd take the vax in a heartbeat if it means we can get back to normal and I definitely don't mean the new normal.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I absolutely hate it.
This thread is great as there are so many like minded people. I'm so fed up of people who seem to be ok or even enjoy it.
I feel guilty for struggling 'because there are so many people worse off' but I am and it's horrible.
I'd take the vax in a heartbeat if it means we can get back to normal and I definitely don't mean the new normal.

So much of this.

I feel bad but for me all the things that make "me" I cant do. Football both pro and non league is what I do in the winter, Cricket again both pro and Sunday league, Pub, Restaurants a round of golf, going round mates houses and gigs...I miss gigs so much, at the first opportunity the hottest smallest sweatiest gig maybe, the Subs at the haunt loud loud and shouty.

I love my wife but spending all day and evening together is a bit of a chore as we are both like interacting with are own mates.

But I have kept my job and are doing OK so I feel guilty about being so selfish.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I have tourists shops. Shutting for Easter was a killer. I order summer goods in December the previous year and so my stock rooms were full on first lock down. But for the summer season takings have been well up plus I've not spent money on more stock. So based on the two months of summer holiday season, I've made more than any other year. My accounts for the year at the moment show my takings down by around £90K, but after financial help, I reckon I've only lost £25K in profit.
Talk Talk for my telephone lines were the only company not to offer any help. Refunds for car park (NCP), rent, credit card machine, electrics and of course staff wages paid.
Looking ahead though, being self employed I reckon I'm going to get stung for a tax rise in the future.
One thing I did learn, at 65 I cant work those 55 hour weeks any more but I'd be twice my current weight if I stopped work.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
So much of this.

I feel bad but for me all the things that make "me" I cant do. Football both pro and non league is what I do in the winter, Cricket again both pro and Sunday league, Pub, Restaurants a round of golf, going round mates houses and gigs...I miss gigs so much, at the first opportunity the hottest smallest sweatiest gig maybe, the Subs at the haunt loud loud and shouty.

I love my wife but spending all day and evening together is a bit of a chore as we are both like interacting with are own mates.

But I have kept my job and are doing OK so I feel guilty about being so selfish.

man, we sound like two peas in a pod, apart from the cricket, i really want this to go ahead, if it does, the wife and daughter will go away for a few nights and i'm going with some old mates from manchester coming down staying at mine and a fella from Ireland is flying over, maybe a tad optimistic but its the only thing keeping me sane at the moment...

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 121

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Whilst i don't want to take away from or rub it in the nosemof those who have suffered this year, it's important not to assume that this year has been negative for everyone. I've had my best year financially with there being stacks of overtime going at work so I've taken home nearly an extra grand per month, and the mrs is preggers so we are expecting our first child. Plus she has worked from home most of the year so we've seen much more of each other than we usually do.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Lost a job in the tourism industry and finished my masters degree with damp a squib knowing there would be no jobs to come out into. Caused me to move back to the UK to work in a supermarket just to get some money through the doors. Immense stress on my relationship with not only Covid but imminent brexit to deal with - not an easy time to have a partner from an EU country! Can’t wait for things to get back to normal and try and pick up from where I left off but not expecting much.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Whilst i don't want to take away from or rub it in the nosemof those who have suffered this year, it's important not to assume that this year has been negative for everyone. I've had my best year financially with there being stacks of overtime going at work so I've taken home nearly an extra grand per month, and the mrs is preggers so we are expecting our first child. Plus she has worked from home most of the year so we've seen much more of each other than we usually do.

A good news story, delighted for you both, do you mind me asking what job you do?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
man, we sound like two peas in a pod, apart from the cricket, i really want this to go ahead, if it does, the wife and daughter will go away for a few nights and i'm going with some old mates from manchester coming down staying at mine and a fella from Ireland is flying over, maybe a tad optimistic but its the only thing keeping me sane at the moment...

Apart from the teams we support :lol:

Did you see the Hillmans support King kurt a year or two ago ?

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
We are both retired but living on one pension so there was no change in income . The first lockdown was not too bad as the weather was so good . We both missed seeing the grandkids and my mother who is over 100 I have only managed to see three times since March. I have had it very lucky compared to some people on here . I have missed having a regular beer with my mates and obviously the football .

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Apart from the teams we support :lol:

I have a good friend who also supports Palace, we agree not to talk football and never have, ever since I have known him back in 88, that is a lie, to be honest, we have occasionally, but just clash obviously,so we agreed not to talk about football when out, apart from that he is a sound guy. He like you supports his local club and I get that, i'd rather to talk football to you or him than a Man United or Liverpool fan born down here...

Did you see the Hillmans support King kurt a year or two ago ?

Not sure, I may have, I forget so many, and to be honest I am not a big Kurt fan, they were a student band really back in the day, more fun than violence...
The Hillmen are good, the Bass player is scary as feck, good band though solid songs, they have gone a bit more garage sounding recently over the past few years.
It is more about meeting mates than the bands now, Long Tall Texans always good.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I am very fortunate that we have a small loving family, a couple of largely stable jobs and as I am nearly 50 no social life to speak of.

I know many people have had it much worse and recent trips to Brighton and Worthing show how the high streets are decimated. I haven't been to a discotheque in years but appreciate a whole generation have suffered there. I have had gigs and concerts cancelled and a couple of holidays including my first foreign one in a couple of years.

As with previous posts, the first lockdown was surreal and I kind of did enjoy it, the road suddenly had a community, I had time with the family and got some jobs done at home with time with my son. The weather was also good so we could enjoy our 1 exercise a day with no traffic etc.

Now its just boring, Im working through this one but cant go out of an evening or weekend, have missed so many birthdays or events and everything is muted.

I also fear we will be paying this back with tax on taxes which will (selfishly) stop me going on another holiday for a few years.

but I am in a lucky position and so cant complain.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
What has my year been like?
Get up, go to work (RSCH), try not to catch / spread Covid, come home, eat, sleep.
Repeat.
My boss told me a few weeks ago that I had not taken any time off this year, so I took a week off (mid-lockdown V2). Sat around for a week while my body realised I was not running flat out, and decided to remind me of all the aches and pains.
Went back to work.
Financially no better or worse off - still the same wage, still the same petrol costs etc.
Mentally - just running on empty, but still running.
Physically - shattered.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Wow. Possibly the most selfish post that I have ever read.
Probably just being honest. Everyone has their own priorities, and what is trite to one may be essential to another.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
It’s been a very turbulent year for me. It started off well not having to commute to central London for work which I hated. It really felt like I had struck gold. However in April my grandad caught covid in his nursing home and passed away (he was 85 and had underlining issues). They tried to stream the funeral but the internet went down so we got sent a video of it a few weeks later. He is in a better place now however I just feel uncomfortable about the lack of a send off for such a great man. I was then furloughed for 2 months but luckily we have some saving so that kept us going. Work is all back to normal (just more busy and stressful) so we are lucky that we don’t have to worry about finances. We had our second little boy arrive in Sep and that has been hard. The sleepless nights and a hyperactive, anxious 4 year old all in a 2 bed flat. I do appreciate working from home ad having the opportunity to spend more time with my new baby boy however I am struggling to bond due to my mental state. My mum had covid a cpl of weeks ago and was struggling to breath, she said she felt like she was going to die but after a week thank god she was ok. My new worry is my dad yesterday was told that requires a biopsy, which is really making me worry. I am a happy, bubbly person but deep down always feel on the edge, I feel like I am soon to crack but am trying to hold it together for the family… I am a very anxious person and seeing my mum and dad so depressed, seeing friends struggle, even reading some of the awful stories on here just makes me feel really sad.

Everyone that has posted on here probably does not realise just how being so honest and open about heir circumstance can help others. We will get over this crap and we will appreciate each other much more. Love to all.

I have a job interview today, it will be huge for myself and my family if I’m successful.
hope it went well mate

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here