Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How fast/far can you run?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Been getting into my running lately, despite the heat. Managed to pull off 1km in 4.30. Not bad for a novice I suppose. How about anyone else? Times, distance?

Very few people will have pure 1k times. Its pretty much a sprint!

My PB marathon time breaks down to 4m 52s per km if that helps?!

Try getting a 5 or 10k time under your belt to be able to get a better steer on how you are faring against others. That said, build up gently or risk getting injured.

You might try entering a race to keep your focus and have something to aim at. Worked for me!!

Best of luck with it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Started running again. I've done little or no exercise for years, but I'm feeling fitter and the intervals between having to have a walk are increasing. I'm enjoying it despite the heat.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
:bowdown::bowdown:

Very impressive stats!

What's your marathon time?

Cheers. I'm by no means a natural runner's shape - I'm 5'11 and 13 st - but reckon it goes to show what an average healthy person can achieve by training correctly and if they put the effort in, even without the genetics of Mo Farrah.

My best marathon (I've only done 3) is 3.14.30; although my training during these was much less structured and a bit naive. I'd like to think I could break 3 hours now.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Very impressive.
How long have you been running/training?

Been running since my early 20s, but that was mainly to keep fit for playing rugby. It was only in the past 2-3 years since I retired from rugby that I concentrated on getting my times down in road races and Triathlons and started training a lot smarter.

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
Very few people will have pure 1k times. Its pretty much a sprint!

My PB marathon time breaks down to 4m 52s per km if that helps?!

Try getting a 5 or 10k time under your belt to be able to get a better steer on how you are faring against others. That said, build up gently or risk getting injured.

You might try entering a race to keep your focus and have something to aim at. Worked for me!!

Best of luck with it.

Yeah it's almost a sprint, mid distance at best.

Thanks for the heads up. I might get competitive in a couple months.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My best distance is 8.5miles at under 10min/mile. Working towards doing a half marathon at some point.

Still got some way to go in the pace department. Quickest 5k is about 26mins.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My best distance is 8.5miles at under 10min/mile.

As much as the above is not impressive at all in the grand scheme of things - just a few months ago I would've struggled to run 3m. Keep at it, amazing what you can do.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Absolutely hate distance running but I had to do a fitness test and we did the cooper 1.5 mile run, managed to complete that in 11 minutes.

willow147

Mar 16, 2011
Romney Marsh, Kent
It hasn't been said yet so I shall oblige. I couldn't even run a bath.

Seriously, I could probably run a few hundred meters but then be would probably need a ambulance at the end. Never been good at running. I wasn't too bad on the treadmill (I say too bad, I could manager maybe 20 mins at a steady pace) but tried real running once and was knackered within the minute.

A few years ago I had to do a 1.5 miles run with my son for his Karate grading and for over a year after I suffered with a painful/stiff Achilles tendon first thing in the morning.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My marathon PB is 3:09:50 in 2010 at 41 years of age. I have done 2 others, both at 3:20. I have run a sub 90 1/2 marathon but this was part of a full marathon so not sure if it counts. My 10k best is 42 mins. I have tried and tried for a sub-40 but never achieved it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
1km: 4:00
5km: 20:54
10km: c.42:00
Marathon: 3:57

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here