Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] How does a Firestick work?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Will it work on a MacBook? Or Android only?

A firestick is for plugging into your TV and watching it there. If you have a Macbook you want to use there are websites and subscription services you use instead.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Swan Vesta.

Job done, any time, any place. As long as there's a wall/tooth/stone nearby!

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
As above basically turns any TV with an HDMI slot into a SmartTV.

Absolutely love mine due to portability and have had it working all over the World and rarely missed a game due to the numerous ways that you can get PL streams that come from the various non-UK channels that show all games every week.

Use it with Netflix, ITV Hub(with VPN) for the rugby, Plex(connect to someones VOD server for films/tv shows etc), NFL Pass and also the free and paid for IPTV services. Currently living in Thailand(cue the ladyboy etc comments) and have it on pretty much all day for news etc which wouldnt get unless on laptop all day long!

If need any advice on apps etc and how to set up feel free to drop me a PM.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As above, how's the picture quality / stream stability in these?
It depends what you're after.
If you want absolutely up to date, state of the art 'rich deep black colour' and pin dropping sound quality, you might be disappointed.

My TV is comparatively pensionable, long before Smart TV's, it's only 44 inches for Christ sakes. #PrayForStat.
While my broadband is basic TalkTalk.

Even then the picture quality, sound and stability are plenty good enough.
But for something that I've had for 4-5 years and has saved me £40-£50 a month it's well lush!!!

For me I'd say it's 720p instead of 1080.
But that's a basic Firestick on an old TV, I'm definitely going to investigate the 4k version.

TV and films are better than sport, but once you get a set up you like for me it's Live Net you'll learn which channels are the best.

NBsC, Sony Ten Star Sports are great, Sky's pretty good oddly BT Sport is almost inaccessible.

But it really comes into its own for films.

Jnr doesn't have bruises or scratches, he has life threatening conditions and potential amputation type situations. :lol:

The last 3 films we've watched are:-

127 hours
Touching The Void.

That'll learn him :lol:

Bad Boys (even I needed a chuckle)

Boom, I did the equivalent of reaching for a DVD as the picture and sound were great.
That's just any one of 3 random films out of ALL films ever made!

Sorry I'm a bit chatty this morning!
As said I'm somewhat evangelical about my Firestick.

Plus everything I've said is all available via really simple YouTube tutorials and is only a couple of hours of work once you're set up.

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
As above, how's the picture quality / stream stability in these?

From my experience the "free" streams the quality is very questionable especially when upscaling it to a big TV. They can also be a right royal pain in the arse to find using something like Kodi (not so much with web streams). For <£10 a month you can get a subscription to an IPTV provider and get everything. Can be a faff and if you use a major UK ISP then you'll probably need a VPN. They still aren't the most reliable but the ones I've used have pretty good support and when it works the quality is pretty good. But you suffer the same problems you do with any streaming service you can be up to a minute behind the live picture at times so no good if you are in play punting.

I still have Sky and BT because I could do without the hassle of it all but I pay €80 a year so I can get TV into my office. I could just get another Sky Q minibox like I have in my bedroom but a) I don't want yet another box. b) they are expensive c) it gives me all channels including ones I don't have on my sky sub (to be fair the only one I really use I don't have is Racing UK and the odd PPV fight). I then use a ethernet plug adaptor to wire the television and have a cheap Wifi router with all traffic going through a VPN (which costs about £3 a month I think) then just use one (SmartIPTV - costs a £5) of the numerous IPTV apps available on Smart TVs app stores these days.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
As above basically turns any TV with an HDMI slot into a SmartTV.

Absolutely love mine due to portability and have had it working all over the World and rarely missed a game due to the numerous ways that you can get PL streams that come from the various non-UK channels that show all games every week.

Use it with Netflix, ITV Hub(with VPN) for the rugby, Plex(connect to someones VOD server for films/tv shows etc), NFL Pass and also the free and paid for IPTV services. Currently living in Thailand(cue the ladyboy etc comments) and have it on pretty much all day for news etc which wouldnt get unless on laptop all day long!

If need any advice on apps etc and how to set up feel free to drop me a PM.

I've just come back from Thailand. Stayed at the Marriott in Bangkok both the TVs in our room were using IPTV (I assume legally). Was very very good quality.

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
I've just come back from Thailand. Stayed at the Marriott in Bangkok both the TVs in our room were using IPTV (I assume legally). Was very very good quality.

Nice life!! I live here and just use at home and obv whenever I go anywhere else in SEA!

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
From my experience the "free" streams the quality is very questionable especially when upscaling it to a big TV. They can also be a right royal pain in the arse to find using something like Kodi (not so much with web streams). For <£10 a month you can get a subscription to an IPTV provider and get everything. Can be a faff and if you use a major UK ISP then you'll probably need a VPN. They still aren't the most reliable but the ones I've used have pretty good support and when it works the quality is pretty good. But you suffer the same problems you do with any streaming service you can be up to a minute behind the live picture at times so no good if you are in play punting.

OK, as I thought - I'll still with my €6/month sub, then! Quality generally 1080p, sometimes a bit jerky/blocky, often fantastic. No betting here, albeit getting Sofascore pings (if I haven't muted a match) can be a bit of a pain.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

I still have Sky and BT because I could do without the hassle of it all but I pay €80 a year so I can get TV into my office. I could just get another Sky Q minibox like I have in my bedroom but a) I don't want yet another box. b) they are expensive c) it gives me all channels including ones I don't have on my sky sub (to be fair the only one I really use I don't have is Racing UK and the odd PPV fight). I then use a ethernet plug adaptor to wire the television and have a cheap Wifi router with all traffic going through a VPN (which costs about £3 a month I think) then just use one (SmartIPTV - costs a £5) of the numerous IPTV apps available on Smart TVs app stores these days.

No need for Kodi, as mentioned earlier in the thread Redbox or LiveNetTV provide pretty good streams. I've rarely been disappointed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No need for Kodi, as mentioned earlier in the thread Redbox or LiveNetTV provide pretty good streams. I've rarely been disappointed.
I really to know what Kodi does.

I only use it as a platform to get something else.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
As a thicko who has an android phone ( who struggles to make and receive calls never mind texts ) and an LG smart TV ( basic stuff I know ) can someone advise me how I might benefit from aforesaid beyond things like ' his thingy goal etc '

I would especially like to be able to stream things from my lap top to my TV without having to use a 20 ft HDMI cable ( which is a pain )

Would be delighted if anyone can suggest any necessarily simple and viable option given my obvious age related limitations :ffsparr:

PS, I have tried unplugging and plugging it in again ! :smile:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
They are crap.

I've been rubbing two together for four hours now, not a spark.

Just buy a lighter, way cheaper and much less effort.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here