How do you think Boris has handled it so far ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you think Boris has handled Covid 19 so far ?

• Superb

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Very Good

Votes: 63 25.1%
  • Good

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Average

Votes: 22 8.8%
  • Poor

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Very Poor

Votes: 39 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Ratso2005

Dec 4, 2004
Healthcare worker deaths: Germany 0, UK 185 (one hundred and eighty-five).

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Don't blame the conned, blame the con men (and women) that got us here

I'm now getting more and more angry with this government. Todays PMQ has BoJo floundering against the calmness of Starmer when pressed on the highest deaths in Europe, citing international comparisons shouldn't be looked at, at this early stage of the virus.

Utter bollocks - they ignored evidence to perform a lockdown earlier than we did (BoJo missed 5 COBRA's discussing it), ignored evidence that we didn't have sufficient PPE (we now have 185 Health workers dead), the Home Secretary continued an open border policy on travel (with only 300 people quarantined) and now we're paying for it. We're a ****ing island and should have been able to reduce the impact. But no - BoJo is hailing their approach to dealing with this as a "success". Utter cockwomble.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
are the right questions asked? would the lockdown starting a week earlier change much, or would the policy to move elderly patients out of hospitals to carehomes have more significant effect?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Firstly, not sure you can judge if you only read part of the article. You then go on to say that Priti is an 'eejit' and the rest are unremarkable. Isn't that what the article was getting at, there is no talent in the cabinet and that in this time of crisis that is exactly what Johnson needs around him. Yet it was clear at the time of election that the only criteria that got you in Johnson's gang was to agree with Brexit.

Sorry, by unremarkable I meant not shockingly bad, as the start of the article clearly asserts.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm now getting more and more angry with this government. Todays PMQ has BoJo floundering against the calmness of Starmer when pressed on the highest deaths in Europe, citing international comparisons shouldn't be looked at, at this early stage of the virus.

Utter bollocks - they ignored evidence to perform a lockdown earlier than we did (BoJo missed 5 COBRA's discussing it), ignored evidence that we didn't have sufficient PPE (we now have 185 Health workers dead), the Home Secretary continued an open border policy on travel (with only 300 people quarantined) and now we're paying for it. We're a ****ing island and should have been able to reduce the impact. But no - BoJo is hailing their approach to dealing with this as a "success". Utter cockwomble.

So he thinks we are at the early stage, then. Not 'over the worst', lovingly eyeing the sunny uplands, then? ??? There's a Freudian slip (or a grotesque lie) if ever I saw one. But....still to early to judge the lazy shifty charmer on Covid yet.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thanks for getting back to me. I won't labour the point (says the guy about to labour the point) but my perception is that this is a Cabinet with an almost uniquely supine and talentless pedigree, purged of old style big beasts and anyone who might represent a serious dissenting voice, other than the ghastty plotter Gove who he clearly wants on the inside pissing out, rather than on the outside pissing in. But fair enough - maybe the PM didn't have a huge pool of talent to pick from.

Just one illustrative (I think) episode kind of sums this up. TV coverage (of course approved and orchestrated by Cummings) of the new Cabinet. All eyes lovingly on BJ. What does he do? He loudly asks them to chant the manifesto targets in unison. Which they do, like happy campers at Butlins c.1965. Just wow. (Echoes of Stalin, when the first person to stop applauding at the standing ovation following his speech would be taken out and shot as a traitor.)

I think that history might very well be a harsh judge on this mob.

Oh, trust me, I hope (and expect) you'll be right. I just don't want to jump the gun like I (personally) did about Brexit (raving about it being a fool's errand which, very soon, but past peoples' caring, events will show that it is). Criticise Boris too early and he'll just cement his position, as Trump has in the face of snarling and now utterly toothless democrats. There is nothing sadder than the sight of angry people standing over a mountain of spent ammunition while the fat rat gambols gleefully away.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Current per capita figures as reported by John Hopkins (countries with 100+ reported deaths)... with the usual caveats about comparability of data etc...

Screen Shot 05-06-20 at 02.24 PM.JPG

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

That's a pretty good summary of things.

PUBLIC INQUIRY. Rapid, professionally-conducted by multiple skilled personnel, with the kind of access that Chilcot had.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Current per capita figures as reported by John Hopkins (countries with 100+ reported deaths)... with the usual caveats about comparability of data etc...

View attachment 123188

Thanks. This is helpful, although I'm not entirely sure whether you're posting it to demonstrate that the UK has: done well; badly; it's too early to say; that international comparisons are unfair (I think that one is ruled out); or something else?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Thanks. This is helpful, although I'm not entirely sure whether you're posting it to demonstrate that the UK has: done well; badly; it's too early to say; that international comparisons are unfair (I think that one is ruled out); or something else?

I am in the 'too early to say' camp... and also more interested in the 'excess deaths compared to seasonal averages' comparisons (as per the UK data published yesterday).

YTD figures published for 24th April suggest that annual 5 years figure would be 195,648

YTD 2020 figure is 229,308

'Excess deaths' YTD = 33,660

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

All I want to say is. Well done to everyone who has done what they can to help the terrible situation we all find ourselves in. With hindsight we can all see where things went wrong. Blaming as it seems to be on NSC, on Party lines is a help to no one.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

good data.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

I thought he looked very uncomfortable at PMQs. Whether this was because he was up against Starmer rather than Corbyn, or because there was no audience of baying backbenches to play to I don't know. Perhaps it was simply because he knows he hasn't done very well. Thought - if the public has been 'fantastic', the health care workers have been 'fantastic', the government scientists have been 'leading' and the research community in the universities and the private sector have been 'wonderful' - then which player has let the side down? It only really leaves the politicians doesn't it?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
All this “too early to criticise” rhetoric is worrying.

“No, no, way too early to judge. Keep sending the boys over the top. We’ll see if it was the right approach when the war’s over”.

But an awful lot of them se to be dying, Sir.

“Well don’t blame me, I didn’t ask for this war. I’m doing all I can. Over you go, good lads”

Last edited:

Jimmy Grimble

Genuine question here on the deaths data.

How much more relevant is the per-capita death data compared to the standard number of deaths?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I thought he looked very uncomfortable at PMQs.

I think it’s because he knows that he is ultimately to blame for second highest death rate on the planet. I suspect the reality was that SAGE was asked to advise the government based on not locking down or closing the borders as these conflict with the PM’s deep held libertarian beliefs, he wasn’t about to tell his father he couldn’t go down the pub in a hurry!

SAGE clearly came up with a ‘herd immunity/shielding the vulnerable’ plan that was backtracked on pretty quickly when the Imperial College 250,000 death model was published. However, we’d progressed too far down the herd immunity plan to avoid a large death rate as care homes in particular were left unguarded and forgotten about. I suspect Patel, Gove and Hancock will jump ship with a view on the top job when it becomes clear that Mr Johnson must resign as they can conceivably demonstrate opposition to Mr Johnson’s botched ideas. We could see a new PM as soon as Christmas if a Heseltine/Brutus figure emerges from cabinet who can knife Johnson in the back and wield a fatal blow. As is the norm, it’ll be a Major/Mark Anthony figure who takes the reigns rather than the person who murders Mr Johnson’s political career. Sunak as PM by 2021 would be my guess and the best political outcome we could hope for in the short term.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sir Lindsay Hoyle has found his voice at last, reprimanding Johnson for stating he would make an announcement on Sunday about the lockdown. Parliamentary procedure is as follows.

This is what Hoyle said:

It’s been widely reported that the government will make a major announcement about the review of lockdown this Sunday.

I consider this a matter of regret. It is important that the press is kept informed but it is the duty of this house to hold the government to account, not the media.

Major government announcements should be made first in the house and this is as important as ever during this time of crisis.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Sir Lindsay Hoyle has found his voice at last, reprimanding Johnson for stating he would make an announcement on Sunday about the lockdown. Parliamentary procedure is as follows.

This is what Hoyle said:

It’s been widely reported that the government will make a major announcement about the review of lockdown this Sunday.

I consider this a matter of regret. It is important that the press is kept informed but it is the duty of this house to hold the government to account, not the media.

Major government announcements should be made first in the house and this is as important as ever during this time of crisis.

Bj was never one for protocol, the rules don't apply to him; cos he's so patriotic, I think

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports