How do you think Boris has handled it so far ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you think Boris has handled Covid 19 so far ?

• Superb

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Very Good

Votes: 63 25.1%
  • Good

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Average

Votes: 22 8.8%
  • Poor

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Very Poor

Votes: 39 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think only social distancing is necessary.

If the healthy under-40s caught it, they’d almost certainly not die. Look at the figures.

And what would your suggestion be? How long do you think we should stay inside for?

Ok - if you're under 40 are you one of those happy to take the risk of 'almost certainly not' ?

How do you maintain social distancing to the levels necessary to get R below 1 without lockdown ?? We sort of tried that in the few days before lockdown - look at what happened on the tube, parks, beaches, beauty spots etc etc .All mobbed.

We'll start to have a gradual release - 'lockdown' doesn't have to be all or nothing, but it did have to be for a time stop the NHS being swamped. That at least has worked so far and is hopefully coming to an end.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
What about the studies coming out of the US about alarming rates of 30-40 year olds having strokes because of COVID-19 ? I mean you don't die... sure, but I'm sure most 30/40 year olds would rather not risk a stroke

I’ve not seen this. I’ve just googled it and found nothing (although that doesn’t mean there aren’t any).

If studies are suggesting this then I’d ask the usual questions about is this peer reviewed, what are the numbers, were there any co-mornidities, and why is this just affecting America?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’ve not seen this. I’ve just googled it and found nothing (although that doesn’t mean there aren’t any).

If studies are suggesting this then I’d ask the usual questions about is this peer reviewed, what are the numbers, were there any co-mornidities, and why is this just affecting America?

I'm not sure if you are using AskJeeves or something but 'coronavirus strokes' threw up a bunch of sources for news reports. From the Independent - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-deaths-symptoms-covid-19-heart-a9484091.html

Funnily enough we're mid-pandemic and doctors on the front line are seeing this. I am sure it is a bit too early for medical journals to be written, peer reviewed and published.

Like all of this, we're still early days and don't really know the full impact or long term effects of this.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think only social distancing is necessary.

If the healthy under-40s caught it, they’d almost certainly not die. Look at the figures.

And what would your suggestion be? How long do you think we should stay inside for?

Almost certainly is too bigger risk for me and I suspect any Government.

I could imagine if this scenario had happened several law suits would be filed against the Government as inevitably someone would have died.

On staying inside, no idea and happy to be advised bt the Government and Scientists, however, I think things will change very soon

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Ok - if you're under 40 are you one of those happy to take the risk of 'almost certainly not' ?

How do you maintain social distancing to the levels necessary to get R below 1 without lockdown ?? We sort of tried that in the few days before lockdown - look at what happened on the tube, parks, beaches, beauty spots etc etc .All mobbed.

We'll start to have a gradual release - 'lockdown' doesn't have to be all or nothing, but it did have to be for a time stop the NHS being swamped. That at least has worked so far and is hopefully coming to an end.

I would be willing, yes.

Public transport is what it is. It’ll always be crowded at peak times. Maybe use masks although I know the all-knowing stages of WHO said that was a bad idea. Or have they changed their minds on that one? I imagine outside of London cars or bikes would be more the norm.

What I was suggesting is a form of slow release.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I'm not sure if you are using AskJeeves or something but 'coronavirus strokes' threw up a bunch of sources for news reports. From the Independent - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-deaths-symptoms-covid-19-heart-a9484091.html

Funnily enough we're mid-pandemic and doctors on the front line are seeing this. I am sure it is a bit too early for medical journals to be written, peer reviewed and published.

Like all of this, we're still early days and don't really know the full impact or long term effects of this.

I used google and Bing.

Thanks for that. Numbers seem very low, so hard to know if it’s because of Covid. Worth keeping an eye on. Also odd that this has only been noted in America.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I genuinely feel for the people who have been hoodwinked and who continue to be hoodwinked by the government. Someone started a thread on a large Worthing FB group with a post along the lines of " Thank Goodness, Boris is back to lead us ! " a couple of others chipped in with incredibly sycophantic inanities such as " Hurrah for Boris " then suddenly the tone shifted and there were some negative comments.

Quick as a flash, the original poster posted along the lines of " I did not post this up in order for Boris to be criticised ….. as an admin I am turning commenting off on this thread now " which I think is pretty shameful if you are a Mod/admin of a site.

It's easy to forget how free speech can be edited or stamped out when it does not suit some people, on here we have a wide range of divergent views and I may not agree with people and they with me but at least [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] and the Mods will allow a reasonable amount of leeway.

The majority of the British people are willing our Government to succeed and defeat this ******* virus, then there is the Shills and the Lord Haw-Haws itching for our democratically elected government to fail.
I won’t forgive or forget these shysters that love to make mischief.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The majority of the British people are willing our Government to succeed and defeat this ******* virus, then there is the Shills and the Lord Haw-Haws itching for our democratically elected government to fail.

Agree. The same ones blamed the government for not shutting the country down earlier are now blaming them for not opening it up. What has happened so far has proven that the NHS, apart from distribution of PPE, has coped with the influx. This is only due to the lockdown. Most are aware that over the weekend there appeared to be more activity on the roads, indicating people are getting restless. The only way to keep these people at bay is to remain, for now, in lockdown. To allow extra things to open will cause a second peak. This has happened elsewhere in the world.

No matter what political "colour" the government is, this has been a huge task, just continually to try to score points on being from the other side is disrespectful to ALL those working tirelessly in attempt to save lives. Of course mistakes will and have been made but I can't believe anyone has not attempted to act with the best intentions.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Of course the majority of people want the government to succeed, that's stating the bleeding obvious as the alternative is to risk even more death. However, that doesn't mean the majority are happy with the way the government have handled the situation so far and that includes Johnson's role before he got infected!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well interesting enough some junior health minister this morning was suggesting capacity for 100,000 daily tests as opposed to 100,000 tests actually happening daily..............

What I posted while listening to the Daily Press conference 3 days ago

I think you've just heard the reason 100,000 tests a day won't be done by the end of the month.

'We will have the CAPACITY to do 100,000 a day, but we are not doing it for a number of good reasons' ???

The statement was actually 'we will have the capacity to do 100,000 tests by the end of the month'. It was the first time I had heard the word capacity used in relation to the testing targets, so immediately realised what this change in terminology meant and posted the above.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Agree. The same ones blamed the government for not shutting the country down earlier are now blaming them for not opening it up. What has happened so far has proven that the NHS, apart from distribution of PPE, has coped with the influx. This is only due to the lockdown. Most are aware that over the weekend there appeared to be more activity on the roads, indicating people are getting restless. The only way to keep these people at bay is to remain, for now, in lockdown. To allow extra things to open will cause a second peak. This has happened elsewhere in the world.

No matter what political "colour" the government is, this has been a huge task, just continually to try to score points on being from the other side is disrespectful to ALL those working tirelessly in attempt to save lives. Of course mistakes will and have been made but I can't believe anyone has not attempted to act with the best intentions.

Spot on, mistakes have and will continue to be made, this is an unprecedented virus and our wonderful NHS has not so far been overwhelmed, logistically PPE has had well documented issues but the whole planet is after PPE.
I say this as somebody who did not vote in the last general election, so have no rosette of any colour to pin on my chest.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Really, have you got examples of the people that were clamouring for the lockdown and are now wanting it opened up or are you just making it up to suit your agenda. What people, including Starmer, are asking for is details of what the plan will aim to be when the situation is right.

What is disrespectful to those working to save lives is blindly believing this government has done and is doing a good job.

They keep telling us that their decisions are based on scientific advice but refuse to identify who those scientists are and we now find out that Johnson's bosom buddy has been attending the meetings and, according to some that are in the meetings, has been more involved than some of the scientists would like. Yet we aren't told any of this by the government.

Jimmy Grimble

Can anyone who is comparing us with Sweden please give some justification as to how this is a valid comparison, please?

I’ve seen Norway and Sweden compared which naturally makes far more sense. FWIW, Sweden have had around 2,200 deaths and Norway have had 200. I’d be far more inclined to believe Norway have got it ‘right’ rather than Sweden.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I would be willing, yes.

Public transport is what it is. It’ll always be crowded at peak times. Maybe use masks although I know the all-knowing stages of WHO said that was a bad idea. Or have they changed their minds on that one? I imagine outside of London cars or bikes would be more the norm.

What I was suggesting is a form of slow release.

....which is exactly what will happen. :shrug:

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Can anyone who is comparing us with Sweden please give some justification as to how this is a valid comparison, please?

I’ve seen Norway and Sweden compared which naturally makes far more sense. FWIW, Sweden have had around 2,200 deaths and Norway have had 200. I’d be far more inclined to believe Norway have got it ‘right’ rather than Sweden.

Norway have half the population but obviously haven't yet had half the death rate of Sweden, not even close. But Sweden on their way to herd immunity and Norway isn't. The virus has't been halted. There's no cure and despite all the optimism, there might not be one for years.

After a while, Norwegians will have to unlock their doors and go outside so they'll be looking at a similar deaths per 1000 rate. But they might also have to contend with an economy in recession and possibly a lowered immunity.

Sweden also has double the population density of Norway, which will affect things too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports