How do you think Boris has handled it so far ? 8th May

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you think Boris has handled it so far ?

• Superb

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Very Good

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Good

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Average

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 44 26.2%
  • Very Poor

Votes: 84 50.0%

• Total voters

D

Deleted member 2719

Morning. While you’re here, what did you make of the news, that the government have abruptly back-tracked on Patel’s disgusting Health surcharge, for non-national NHS workers?

My take on it is something like this:

* grossly unfair charge announced
- opposition and public outcry
* government announce that they’ve conducted a thorough review, and the policy is right and proper
- opposition leader attacks unfair policy at PMQs, raising awareness and resulting in negative media and public opinion
* a mere matter of hours later, the government announce the charge is now to be scrapped for those workers.

I’d say it was a timely example of how PMQs, and the role of opposition in general, works.

What’s your take?

[MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] is also welcome to answer.

I think it great you thought about me Hans, if you're looking for personal one-upmanship, that's not my game.
I am here to give an alternative view as NSC doesn't represent the country politically, as we have seen often in the past.

On Boris changing his mind is also great, was it just Starmer that persuaded him though???

I believe it but, but Boris listened and took ACTION that what Boris does best.
Isn't it refreshing to have a leader that listens.

This was constructive, so if he follows that route he will stand a chance of his long term goal.
If he keeps bashing Boris with the death blame stick, he will sink without trace.

Sounds like you have a spring in your step, I am pleased for you.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I couldn’t give a tinker’s curse whether you like me or not ;-) I think you’re a creepy bell-end and I’ve never attempted to like you.

I refer the honourable gentleman to a PM you sent me a few weeks ago!

I think for me this confirms you are either two people using the same account or you have a split personality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I refer the honourable gentleman to a PM you sent me a few weeks ago!

I think for me this confirms you are either two people using the same account or you have a split personality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well that wouldn’t be confirmation then, would it.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Morning. While you’re here, what did you make of the news, that the government have abruptly back-tracked on Patel’s disgusting Health surcharge, for non-national NHS workers?

My take on it is something like this:

* grossly unfair charge announced
- opposition and public outcry
* government announce that they’ve conducted a thorough review, and the policy is right and proper
- opposition leader attacks unfair policy at PMQs, raising awareness and resulting in negative media and public opinion
* a mere matter of hours later, the government announce the charge is now to be scrapped for those workers.

I’d say it was a timely example of how PMQs, and the role of opposition in general, works.

What’s your take?

[MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] is also welcome to answer.

My take on it is that the Immigration Health Surcharge was introduced by The Conservative/Lib Dem Coalition via the Immigration act 2014 which was voted through by the Tories and Lib Dems and so isnt “Patel’s disgusting Health surcharge”
My take is that the existing charge for non UK national workers and their dependants who do not have indefinite leave to remain is to be extended onto EU nationals at the end of the transition.
My take is that an increase to the existing charge was a Conservative manifesto pledge in 2017 (increase to £600) and an increase to the existing charge was a manifesto pledge in 2019 also.
My take is the welcome announcement by Boris of an exemption for NHS workers and care workers is being attributed to pressure from various people and groups and not solely Kier Starmer.
My take is some people will attribute the Immigration Health Surcharge and the policy to increase the existing charge as the sole handiwork of Priti Patel.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Thanks to Boris telling us to keep alert as the ongoing battle to get Covid-19 done rages, when I went out to my local shop first thing to pick up my copy of The Times of London for tonight and a bottle of Merlot to have with breakfast, I was so alert that I saw the invisible enemy itself coming down the road toward me before it did. I was then able to quickly hide the other side of a parked car, observing 2 metres social distancing from it at all times, whilst the invisible enemy went past and on it's way somewhere else.

Thanks to Boris the Fighter's SAGE advice, I'm here to tell the tale unscathed.

It must have been like this in the war, when people were cowering under their DFS kitchen tables hearing the bombs The Lufthansa were dropping, then hearing one whistle right toward them, only for it to land 4 doors down on Mr & Mrs Holmesdale at number 73 instead.

Keep Alert. Save The NHS. Protect The Shops.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My take on it is that the Immigration Health Surcharge was introduced by The Conservative/Lib Dem Coalition via the Immigration act 2014 which was voted through by the Tories and Lib Dems and so isnt “Patel’s disgusting Health surcharge”
My take is that the existing charge for non UK national workers and their dependants who do not have indefinite leave to remain is to be extended onto EU nationals at the end of the transition.
My take is that an increase to the existing charge was a Conservative manifesto pledge in 2017 (increase to £600) and an increase to the existing charge was a manifesto pledge in 2019 also.
My take is the welcome announcement by Boris of an exemption for NHS workers and care workers is being attributed to pressure from various people and groups and not solely Kier Starmer.
My take is some people will attribute the Immigration Health Surcharge and the policy to increase the existing charge as the sole handiwork of Priti Patel.

The original Immigration Act brought in by Theresa May was for a surcharge of £150-200. It was raised to £400 in 2018, but Priti Patel wanted to raise it even further to £624 (pretty disgusting imo)

The health charge was a small part of the Immigration Act, and funnily enough, some of it was amended by Tory rebel (wait for it) Dominic Raab.
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ts-his-call-clegg-phone-in-politics-live-blog

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

On the final point you have me bang to tights, to be fair. It is true that I don’t really care which disgusting individual, came up with this particular piece of disgusting Tory policy. The fact that it was disgusting, and the fact it has been waived, are the important issues.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
‘tis a shame it’s taken this long for anyone to give much of a shit about the surcharge. I doubt many people even knew it existed a month ago. I fully expect general ignorance of matters to do with the NHS and other key-workers to resume in a few months .

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So a handbrake turn on the charging foreign NHS staff to access the service, after just hours previously saying it was right...

This government may have won the election, but they clearly aren't currently fit to govern, they are getting so many things wrong at a time of national importance...!

Hassan Akkad thanks Pier Morgan and James O'brien for their hard work..

https://twitter.com/hassan_akkad/status/1263508113929515009

The policy never made any money, but it was good for the xenophobic racist vote

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
‘tis a shame it’s taken this long for anyone to give much of a shit about the surcharge. I doubt many people even knew it existed a month ago. I fully expect general ignorance of matters to do with the NHS and other key-workers to resume in a few months .

Well [MENTION=35196]Is it PotG?[/MENTION] certainly knew about it over a week ago, because when I started this thread about it, he posted on it, tried his normal whataboutery, got pulled back to the subject of the thread and then went on to make a complete and utter fool of himself.

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?380114-Priti-Patel-thanks-Front-line-NHS-staff-by-increasing-their-immigration-health-surcharge

Although I can see how he may have forgotten, as he could have mixed it up with any number of other threads on NSC

But, on the bright side he is completely consistent, I'll give him that :thumbsup:

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The original Immigration Act brought in by Theresa May was for a surcharge of £150-200. It was raised to £400 in 2018, but Priti Patel wanted to raise it even further to £624 (pretty disgusting imo)

The health charge was a small part of the Immigration Act, and funnily enough, some of it was amended by Tory rebel (wait for it) Dominic Raab.
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ts-his-call-clegg-phone-in-politics-live-blog

The original Immigration Act did indeed have T Mays name on it when presented to the house, along with others and Nick Clegg and David Laws(both Lib Dems).
Its still true the Lib Dems and Tories voted through the Bill and its contents.
It is still a fact the 2017 manifesto proposed a rise of the Immigration Health surcharge to £600 (it didn’t end up going up to that level)and the 2019 manifesto pledged a rise too.
The current proposal is indeed a rise to £624.

Going by the current discourse it would appear the Immigration Health surcharge is still quite a significant part of that Immigration Act and not simply a small part at all.

Dominic Rabbs amendment did not amend The Immigration Bill. It failed to pass.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Christ! You’re thick as shit.

He really isn't. You may disagree with him on things. I do, but I'd add that CV19 has revealed that he's far more nuanced than I'd previously given credit for. But he's intelligent, and should be able to express a view without abuse.*

* there is one enormous assumption in all this

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'm pleased Priti and Boris the Fighter have taken back control and banned foreigners coming here now, apart from those who are helping our fight against the invisible enemy and getting Covid-19 done in The NHS and in agriculture. I think a 2 week quarantine, an address to provide and a £1000 fine should finally put an end to the days of immigrant, Johnny Foreigner types we don't want just waltzing in here through our open borders, claiming benefits paid for by HM Government and taking all our jobs and earning money at exactly the same time - that's exclusively our privilege now with The Furlough Scheme, not theirs, because we're British.

Protect our borders. Keep The NHS. Stay at farms.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports