Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 5 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Whacked it on a mortgage...cheaper loan in the long run!

£500 bill for a " fuel service" yesterday and two brake pads though! Won't by a BMW in a hurry again..it's cost me 4 k in bills in 3 years. My wife has a 52 plate 206 and it costs nowt and goes whatever the weather! Who is the mug.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Looking at the poll, I'm surprised that there is a greater number of people who just buy a car without trading in their old one, unless it refers to first time car owners.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's a fair question, although the result of the 'calculation' is highly susceptible to what you include in 'costs' and 'benefits'. For example, it takes me longer to get anywhere (except London) by train than driving - and what price do you put on your own time? I know for sure that coming back from visiting friends/family on a Sunday afternoon I really value the 60/90 minutes saved by driving versus getting the train...

My mate did factor in time saved: he did live only 10 -15 minutes walk away from a station - that certainly swayed his decision.

To flip slightly, do drivers factor in their time? I'm amazed at the number of people I read on the Argus websites who complain that because of the cost of driving into town, they now shop in Crawley or some other local town. Even if we reckon time per hour at minimum wage rates, there's never going to be much of a cost saving if you spend an extra hour driving.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Looking at the poll, I'm surprised that there is a greater number of people who just buy a car without trading in their old one, unless it refers to first time car owners.

Private sale of an old car before buying another from someone else doesn't count as PX.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My mate did factor in time saved: he did live only 10 -15 minutes walk away from a station - that certainly swayed his decision.

To flip slightly, do drivers factor in their time? I'm amazed at the number of people I read on the Argus websites who complain that because of the cost of driving into town, they now shop in Crawley or some other local town. Even if we reckon time per hour at minimum wage rates, there's never going to be much of a cost saving if you spend an extra hour driving.

Argus readers complain about anything and everything - they're actively encouraged to do so from some quarters.

I suspect some of that is throwing toys out of their pram. Once they get to realise the extra cost of time, fuel and aggravation, they'll revert to the doorstep option.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Cash purchase - how do you do the transaction?
a) hand over a wad of notes
b) electronic bank transfer

If your purchase is more than, I don't know, say £3,000 are you comfortable walking about with that much wonga in your back pocket? Are you concerned if you were a seller, that these may be counterfeit? When I last bought a car from a dealer, their preference was my debit card, no fees, instant, no dodgy cash, no theft of cash / security issues. Last private purchase for a Mini for the Missus was £4.5k and I asked for their bank details and transferred the money direct to their account - easier now with same-day bank transfers.

So what you you lot do to hand over the "cash"?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Why does someone who wishes for better 'facilities' for cycling or buses or what-have-you mean they are anti-car? I know you like to drive door to door on every single journey.

I also like to drive my car when not working in my van an also like to ride my motorcycles and pedl bike, but don't like the bias.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Cash purchase - how do you do the transaction?
a) hand over a wad of notes
b) electronic bank transfer

If your purchase is more than, I don't know, say £3,000 are you comfortable walking about with that much wonga in your back pocket? Are you concerned if you were a seller, that these may be counterfeit? When I last bought a car from a dealer, their preference was my debit card, no fees, instant, no dodgy cash, no theft of cash / security issues. Last private purchase for a Mini for the Missus was £4.5k and I asked for their bank details and transferred the money direct to their account - easier now with same-day bank transfers.

So what you you lot do to hand over the "cash"?

For my last car purchase spent £200 on credit card (so Got S75 protection on the car) and the rest via a debit card. This was via a second hand car dealer. Makes it harder if buying privately, the only way a card can be used is via paypal.

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
The only thing I ever borrowed money for is to buy my house. I only buy a car that I can pay for and having 15 - 20k sitting on my driveway depreciating I'm sure I can think of better ways to invest my money.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Cutting off your nose... springs to mind.

However, the city does need a much better P&R system. Granted, we are a 180o city, but the facilities and cost are poor in comparison to many others in the UK.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I went with 'My car is a firm's car - & I don't pay to use it ', however I pay a fair bit of benefit in kind tax for it's private use :(

D

Deleted member 18477

Bought my latest one via cash payment. Will run it into the ground and then buy a 2-3 year old car... or depending on job get a company car.

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
Leasing is huge here in the States. We just entered our first one.

2013 Lexus 350 F sport = $1,500 cash down, then 27 monthly payments of $400.
Limited to 10k miles a year, all servicing included.

Then in 27 months time, we can buy the car for the remaining amount, give the car back or start again on another car.
Total payment for a brand new car for 27 months = $12,300.
Or about 7.5k pounds for the leased time, or about 280 pounds a month for a new car.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here