• Other

Votes: 5 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Where is the option for .... I steal mine....or does that come under .. other ?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
If it's the same as the one I do your car has a guaranteed future value based on estimated mileage which roughly matches the final payment. If it's worth more (or you are offered more in p/x ) you may have a surplus.

Cheers. Have to dig out my paperwork and check it out.

EUB430

Feb 2, 2013
Got my car on a options deal including P/X the previous one. Paid monthly for 3 years and then had the option to get another new one, hand it back but i paid a balloon payment and purchased it. I do a high mileage so looking to change again soon.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I don't pay for my car as technically it is leased to my mrs through the motability scheme so she pays it with her dla mobility benefit.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Own an 18 year old sports car. I drive once a week maybe. Train and walk to work.
So I bought it cheap and don't expect much from it but a bit of fun. Would never buy a new car or get a loan for a more expensive car. Cars are simply a drain on your money.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This is an interesting question. What I'd like to know is whether your choice was prompted by any financial analysis or whether people opted for their usual option.

A friend of mine gave up his car a couple of years ago as he did the maths (he's a system analyst) and worked out that running a car was a poor option and was better off using public transport, supplanted by the odd taxi and weekend car hire. I'm sure that buying a car outright is not the best financial option for lots of people but they do it from force of habit.

It should also be pointed out that he bought a car again a few weeks ago as his missus gave him so much grief. He pointed out, in vain, that it was an expensive and non-cost-effective option - perhaps, he factored in the cost of a divorce to his calculations. :lolol:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
But for the convenience it adds to many peoples lives owning a car is a really inefficient use of a big chunk of most peoples income, not to say the resources that went into its construction and the fossil fuels it takes to run most of them.

I'm not anti-car, quite the opposite - I live in a rural area with little public transport and with precious few local shops and essential services, owning a car is vital. The local bus service is excellent and seeing record passenger numbers, but only serves a limited number of communities and now is being cut back. So I do see just how many people have become so dependent on cars - many simply do not have a choice.

However there are still many owners who could do without using cars for certain journeys, but are just not prepared to do so. My contribution is to walk or cycle wherever I can for local errands, which also helps me maintain my health and fitness. If we had better broadband performance there might be scope to do even more from home without resorting to the car.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Paid £575 for my N Reg Rover 214 old shape five years ago, best car I've ever had, solid, reliable, not computer run, and has probably cost me £140 on average to MOT each year.

I keep promising myself a newer car but not until this Rover dies. The way it's going it will last at least another five years at least.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Where is the option for .... I steal mine....or does that come under .. other ?

This, there are some local Gentlemen who can get you what you want for a fraction of the going rate! they are already ringed and with good paperwork, way to go!! so I guess this comes under cash payments? (oh I have at present 5 very VERY nice shiny (nearly new) cars :) )

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
Down Payment + Finance + Part Exchange on a year old Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JKUR).

At time of purchase (June last year) it made sense as the old Jeep (99 Wrangler 2DR) was starting to cost money in repairs, etc. The new Jeep at the time still had 2 years of standard warranty and 4 years of powertrain warranty. These are factored into the cost of purchase as you're not spending on repairs and will result in having a vehicle with a decent resale value when the finance payments are complete.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Cash. Personally I very rarely drive - long journeys back to sunny Sussex, and the occasional trip to the middle of nowhere for events. If the OH didn't do shift work we probably wouldn't have one. ALL local journeys, including my commute, are done by bike.

This is an interesting question. What I'd like to know is whether your choice was prompted by any financial analysis or whether people opted for their usual option.

A friend of mine gave up his car a couple of years ago as he did the maths (he's a system analyst) and worked out that running a car was a poor option and was better off using public transport, supplanted by the odd taxi and weekend car hire. I'm sure that buying a car outright is not the best financial option for lots of people but they do it from force of habit.

It should also be pointed out that he bought a car again a few weeks ago as his missus gave him so much grief. He pointed out, in vain, that it was an expensive and non-cost-effective option - perhaps, he factored in the cost of a divorce to his calculations. :lolol:

It's a fair question, although the result of the 'calculation' is highly susceptible to what you include in 'costs' and 'benefits'. For example, it takes me longer to get anywhere (except London) by train than driving - and what price do you put on your own time? I know for sure that coming back from visiting friends/family on a Sunday afternoon I really value the 60/90 minutes saved by driving versus getting the train...

Our decision was a no-brainer. We live in a village, my wife works in another village about 15 miles away, and the public transport options for her are so unwieldy (walking 20 minutes to the station, often with a load of students work, then a 5 minute train, then a 20 minute walk to a bus stop, then a 20 minute bus ride) that it'd make her life a misery. And once you've accepted the up-front costs (buying the car, paying the excise duty, MOT, etc.) then the marginal cost of a trip is almost always cheaper (again, London excepted) than getting public transport.

Oh, and in answer to the OP, we paid cash upfront for our second-hand 2006 Ford Fiesta. It set back our house deposit fund somewhat but was a much cheaper option than buying on finance - and since we intend to run the car for as long as we can (hoping to get the best part of 10 years out of it) I don't mind the upfront cost.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here