Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How disruptive WAS the summer to Oscar/Albion's preparations?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I accept he won't have been looking at recruitment at the tail end of last season like some management teams would have. Far from ideal. But, at the same time, a squad which finished fourth wasn't in need of THAT much surgery in terms of getting new players in. Upson the most important signing the Albion could have hoped to make in the summer in my opinion, and we signed him.

We also have just had the latest window to make the signings people are presumably assuming we would have tried to make in the summer had Oscar had that additional time.

Again, am certainly not saying he should be sacked. Said pre-season I would be satisfied with a top ten finish and signs of progression.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Team strengthening begins in April? Who did we sign the previous April-May-June?

Seriously, don't post any more on this. You are only exposing your ignorance.

But since you seem to be struggling, if Garcia had been in situ in April he would have had his list, been targeting players, and through Burke/Barber speaking to agents.

Because we weren't in that position and it seems Poyet had downed tools to some extent, we were at a massive competitive disadvantage.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Given the injuries, which have been crippling compared to say Burnley who have been really lucky with key players staying fit until last week, he has done okay.

This.

To go deeper into your Burnley comparison - they were missing THREE key players on Saturday (Ings, Trippier and Vokes) and they looked absolutely shocking.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
To be fair if the Summer was disruptive and we needed time to gel with Oscar in charge, why were the best home performances all before Christmas and why after 9 months are the team in such a poor state ? He has had 9 months to stamp his authority on the squad, has brought in new players but we're now playing with no confidence and look shot to bits.

If Oscar was such a good coach surely we should be seeing some evidence now of what he is like and what style we are going to play.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Team strengthening begins in April? Who did we sign the previous April-May-June?

Oh do behave. The preparation work of identifying targets, checking availability, negotiating with clubs begins before the previous season has ended. Or in London Irish world is it a case of deciding who to sign on a July day at 9am, phoning their club at 10am, agreeing personal terms at 11am and then all being down the pub for a beer by midday?

Look at how long the Ulloa deal took to conclude to see that most transfers from identifying who you want to sign to actually getting them to do so can take months

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I accept he won't have been looking at recruitment at the tail end of last season like some management teams would have. Far from ideal. But, at the same time, a squad which finished fourth wasn't in need of THAT much surgery in terms of getting new players in. Upson the most important signing the Albion could have hoped to make in the summer in my opinion, and we signed him.

We also have just had the latest window to make the signings people are presumably assuming we would have tried to make in the summer had Oscar had that additional time.

Again, am certainly not saying he should be sacked. Said pre-season I would be satisfied with a top ten finish and signs of progression.

How do you feel about this bit

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think fans would have been anywhere near as excited if we had appointed say, an old Manchester United youth team coach who had had one good season in somewhere like Switzerland or Scotland.

A lot of fans got over-excited by the Barcelona link.

an old Manchester United coach who had a good season somewhere in Europe. You know, there were people on here absolutely promising to rip up their season tickets if Steve McLaren was appointed our manager. Could we have got him I wonder?

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
To be fair if the Summer was disruptive and we needed time to gel with Oscar in charge, why were the best home performances all before Christmas and why after 9 months are the team in such a poor state ? He has had 9 months to stamp his authority on the squad, has brought in new players but we're now playing with no confidence and look shot to bits.

If Oscar was such a good coach surely we should be seeing some evidence now of what he is like and what style we are going to play.

The worst home performances are coming now because we had three players in the squad who scored the vast majority of our goals - Ulloa, Crofts and Barnes. Two of them aren't available and haven't been replaced and if anybody expected the other one to score every game to mask the fact there is virtually no goals coming from the rest of the side then they are deluded

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The worst home performances are coming now because we had three players in the squad who scored the vast majority of our goals - Ulloa, Crofts and Barnes. Two of them aren't available and haven't been replaced and if anybody expected the other one to score every game to mask the fact there is virtually no goals coming from the rest of the side then they are deluded

Stephens for Crofts, Lingard/Rodriguez for Barnes so whose fault is it for buying such lack lustre replacements ?

Seriously, don't post any more on this. You are only exposing your ignorance.

But since you seem to be struggling, if Garcia had been in situ in April he would have had his list, been targeting players, and through Burke/Barber speaking to agents.

Because we weren't in that position and it seems Poyet had downed tools to some extent, we were at a massive competitive disadvantage.

Thanks for that crass and patronising response.

The way normal football clubs work is that our scouting would have been reported to a guy like Burke - any research/interest in that period could certainly have been followed up when Oscar arrived if it merited it.

Now go **** yourself and come back when you've learnt to talk to your fellow fans in a civil fashion.

Don't be facetious. The WORK on bringing the players in, starts a LOT earlier than the point at which the transfers take place.

YES. BUT in a modern football club THAT work doesn't EXIST in the HEAD of one GUY.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for that crass and patronising response.

The way normal football clubs work is that our scouting would have been reported to a guy like Burke - any research/interest in that period could certainly have been followed up when Oscar arrived if it merited it.

Now go **** yourself and come back when you've learnt to talk to your fellow fans in a civil fashion.

I understand your angry outburst. You are probably feeling a little stupid. As you should be. You are not a 'fellow fan', you are someone who comes on here and makes grand sweeping generalisations which are usually bollocks.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

confidence is low and after that second goal went in we certainly did look shot to bits...who's to say that the current style of play isen't his influence (if currently unsuccessful)...it was never going to be radically different from Poyet and for various reasons..which have been debated and debated aren't not producing the desired effect.

I understand your angry outburst. You are probably feeling a little stupid. As you should be. You are not a 'fellow fan', you are someone who comes on here and makes grand sweeping generalisations which are usually bollocks.

You have me at a disadvantage being so familiar my grand work. I cant remember a single one of your previous posts on here.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You have me at a disadvantage being so familiar my grand work. I cant remember a single one of your previous posts on here.

I know it's wrong, but you just make people want to prod you with a stick. Calm down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here