Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How disruptive WAS the summer to Oscar/Albion's preparations?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The undercooked theory would be more convincing if there has been improvements over the season or if there had been really effective players brought in to play the Oscar style - maybe the past week has been a blip, but we'll see. We need to see that improvement over the next 8 games really.

And I remain very against the "clear out" gamble - the loss of Bridcutt was bad enough, we don't need to voluntarily cull a good squad of players that have proven their effectiveness at this level. My two cents anyway!

There's going to be a natural clear out anyway looking at the contracts. Off the top of my head I would

Get in a new right back rather than making either Bruno or Calde first choice
Extend PIG and Upson
Try to keep Ward or find very similar

Not keep Andrews
Not keep Orlandi unless he can prove his fitness - great player but Swansea fans said he was a sicknote
Send JFC and Agustien on loan (one because he's not good enough and the other because he's fallen out with Oscar and he's unfit)
Not keep Spanish Dave

Not keep Rodriguez
Send March on loan
Try to sell Buckley (injured too often)
Only keep Hoskins if he proves his fitness (maybe a pay as you play)

That should free up some cash to bring in some serious contenders whilst leaving the core quality here and giving us the option to retain JFC and March

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
For me there are 2 key moments, the 1st arrived in Jan.last season, the results up to then had been nothing to shout about infact they had mirrored those of this season abit, then for some reason everything came together and we start to win home and away. At about this time Poyet started to unsettle things but the players started to put a charge on into the play-offs. Then the 2nd big moment Poyet chose the most important match in years to really throw his toys out of the pram and this torn the dressing-room apart with the pro-Poyet players on one side and the rest thinking a great chance had been thrown away. OG has come into a club with a group of players who could only play the slow Poyet way and it's going to take time to replace them, hence why the younger ones are being given a chance they get the way he wants to play and IMHO it's not the manager's fault if the forwards can't score from 6yds.

There's going to be a natural clear out anyway looking at the contracts. Off the top of my head I would

Get in a new right back rather than making either Bruno or Calde first choice
Extend PIG and Upson
Try to keep Ward or find very similar

Not keep Andrews
Not keep Orlandi unless he can prove his fitness - great player but Swansea fans said he was a sicknote
Send JFC and Agustien on loan (one because he's not good enough and the other because he's fallen out with Oscar and he's unfit)
Not keep Spanish Dave

Not keep Rodriguez
Send March on loan
Try to sell Buckley (injured too often)
Only keep Hoskins if he proves his fitness (maybe a pay as you play)

That should free up some cash to bring in some serious contenders whilst leaving the core quality here and giving us the option to retain JFC and March

I would keep all the defence, they've done nothing wrong this season, regardless of the odd rick which they've all been guilty of even PIG and Upson. Orlandi deserves another chance given his number of games last season. Buckley is quality and worth keeping even if you only get 20 games out of him, he could potentially win half of those on his own. LuaLua and March are fine back-ups but ideally one more needed, a steady Conway type maybe
Dont care about the loan players, they've mostly been disappointing (cept Ward). Cut losses with both Spanish Daves and JFC and Hoskins still being here is a joke. Cant make sense of Agustein, who looked better than all our current midfielders

Last edited:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I would be slightly cautious about completely overhauling a squad which contributed to finishing fourth last season.

The defence is fine. Need to get Kuszczak to sign and would be happy if we completed a permanent deal for Ward. Each of the players might make the odd mistake but they have also all contributed to the division's best defensive record and 17 clean sheets. Other areas need more attention.

Mackail-Smith returning should provide competition, support or an alternative to Ulloa. Still need another striker in potentially if Hoskins cannot recapture fitness and the form he showed at Bristol Rovers.

Orlandi is arguably our most creative player. Get him fit and a lot of our problems will be far less pressing. Equally would keep Buckley, unless someone offered £3million upwards which could be re-invested in the squad as long as a like for like player was recruited.

The one position I believe we really need to strengthen is would be the string-pulling central midfield player. Someone to play alongside two of Ince, Crofts and Stephens who can dictate the tempo of a game and given more direction to our attack.

Monokana and March should provide cover in the first team squad next season out wide.

Considering the playing budget went up this season and the club has subsequently sold Bridcutt and Barnes you would think there would be a decent enough budget there to recruit two or three top players while releasing a few of the likes of Brezovan, Ankergren and Lopez etc. Even if the playing budget were to go down slightly compared to this season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I would be slightly cautious about completely overhauling a squad which contributed to finishing fourth last season.

The defence is fine. Need to get Kuszczak to sign and would be happy if we completed a permanent deal for Ward. Each of the players might make the odd mistake but they have also all contributed to the division's best defensive record and 17 clean sheets. Other areas need more attention.

Mackail-Smith returning should provide competition, support or an alternative to Ulloa. Still need another striker in potentially if Hoskins cannot recapture fitness and the form he showed at Bristol Rovers.

Orlandi is arguably our most creative player. Get him fit and a lot of our problems will be far less pressing. Equally would keep Buckley, unless someone offered £3million upwards which could be re-invested in the squad as long as a like for like player was recruited.

The one position I believe we really need to strengthen is would be the string-pulling central midfield player. Someone to play alongside two of Ince, Crofts and Stephens who can dictate the tempo of a game and given more direction to our attack.

Monokana and March should provide cover in the first team squad next season out wide.

A lot of out of contract players will be leaving. No doubt.

There is better value out there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A lot of out of contract players will be leaving. No doubt.

There is better value out there.
I do think the nucleus of the current squad has a 'one last go', feel about them, esp in the unlikely event of being fit and healthy in August.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
We drove nearly 500 miles on saturday to watch that: doubt I'll be doing it again this season.

Saying that, I'm probably still in the Oscar IN camp. My biggest concern is that he will get chop before he ever gets a player in that he actually wants. I've said it all along Oscar isn't a miracle worker: a Barca still of play needs a certain type of player. Give him a budget and let him pick his own players, if he fails and gets the sack atleast then it'll be deserved.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
'The Stephens Effect' updated

OK, so now the image is there twice. Don't know why.

Attachments

• stephens leic.jpg
    stephens leic.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 138
  • stephens leic2.jpg
    stephens leic2.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Stephens was absolutely superb again on Saturday.

Furtehr to the 'Stephens Effect' stuff above, I vaguely remember coming out of both Watford away and Wigan home with the idea that Dale was one of the few positives from those performances. He's absolutely brilliant, IMO.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Considering the playing budget went up this season and the club has subsequently sold Bridcutt and Barnes you would think there would be a decent enough budget there to recruit two or three top players while releasing a few of the likes of Brezovan, Ankergren and Lopez etc. Even if the playing budget were to go down slightly compared to this season.

I think you're broadly right here. If at all possible, would like us to see if we can get our hands on Lingard, which might involve getting rid of Buckley. Lingard has just one year left on his contract at United; they can either extend it, or look to sell him this summer. I like him, but I'm not convinced that he constitutes the answer to their problems, and don't think he'll be a regular in the top quarter of the PL and CL.
Somebody at the ground said United rate him as highly as Januzaj: don't think this it the case; one's 18, the other's 21; one's had a number of full appearances for United, the other hasn't; one's at United, the other's been out on loan for most of the season; one's recently signed a five-year deal, the other one's runs out in just over a year.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I think you're broadly right here. If at all possible, would like us to see if we can get our hands on Lingard, which might involve getting rid of Buckley. Lingard has just one year left on his contract at United; they can either extend it, or look to sell him this summer. I like him, but I'm not convinced that he constitutes the answer to their problems, and don't think he'll be a regular in the top quarter of the PL and CL.
Somebody at the ground said United rate him as highly as Januzaj: don't think this it the case; one's 18, the other's 21; one's had a number of full appearances for United, the other hasn't; one's at United, the other's been out on loan for most of the season; one's recently signed a five-year deal, the other one's runs out in just over a year.

most of what I hear and see of Lingard is from a bit of a distance
I hear what posters say on here and see the highlights on Player, he seems to have settled in to a system he likes and is beginning to find the back of the net, he talks a lot of sense himself, he likes it at the Albion.
so my leaning is to sign him, depending on cost of coarse and if by some twist of fate we manage to get to the premiership then signing him permanently is an absolute must and we will have the money.
Stephens is being talked of as the new Nobby ....well maybe not yet but by the looks he is heading that way.
I would like also to put on record that whatever happens we should consider signing Ward and Andrews on permanent contracts

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
most of what I hear and see of Lingard is from a bit of a distance
I hear what posters say on here and see the highlights on Player, he seems to have settled in to a system he likes and is beginning to find the back of the net, he talks a lot of sense himself, he likes it at the Albion.
so my leaning is to sign him, depending on cost of coarse and if by some twist of fate we manage to get to the premiership then signing him permanently is an absolute must and we will have the money.
Stephens is being talked of as the new Nobby ....well maybe not yet but by the looks he is heading that way.
I would like also to put on record that whatever happens we should consider signing Ward and Andrews on permanent contracts

Ward for me, but not Andrews, even after his good game on Saturday.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ward for me, but not Andrews, even after his good game on Saturday.
Andrews was good at Leicester too.

I don't think Andrews is a terrible player (seemingly contrary to the boo boys opinion of him), but I agree with you because I think he'll be after unjustifiable wages.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The Ince/Stephens partnership will blossom once Ince is a little more experienced. Stephens enjoys playing with Andrews as he instinctively knows where he'll be with Andrews being in the right position. Ince on the other hand doesnt yet have that vision and knowledge but hopefully it'll come. Unfortunately Andrews isn't as fast or strong as Ince, and the last two games luckily he's not needed to be as the opposition midfield were weak (on the night). Against Huddersfield I'm expecting Andrews again, with Ince hopefully on the bench, then Ince starting against Blackpool.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here