Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] How did you react to the emergency alert?

How did you react to the emergency alert?

• Dropped phone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dropped the other thing I was holding

• Calmly, like a normal person

Votes: 59 84.3%
  • Ran screaming to the nearest Anderson shelter

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Hastily joined the most convenient religion

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Started a poll on NSC

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Crashed my car

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It went off 30 seconds early.

Could hear my ignorant neighbours coming out into the hall and chattering about it. Clearly no idea it was happening.

What in the U.K. could possibly warrant this level of scare mongering?

Floods? Do we get flash floods in the U.K.?

Forest fires? Not an issue

Earthquakes? They happen once every ten years in Yorkshire and measure about 0.001 on the Richter scale.

Terrorist attack? I don’t want my phone blaring out a signal to guide an attacker towards me thanks.

Nuclear attack? I’d rather not know thank you.

Just stop interfering in my business, my phone, my life.

The second I retire, this smart phone is being flung into the Adur. Hate the bloody things.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Switched the alerts off weeks ago. Didn’t hear anyone else’s either.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If this had existed for the last 80 years, when would it have been used?
Was devised, I believe, to replace text messaging in the case of another pandemic/lockdown.

Fine, texting the entire population proves too slow. But do we need the f***ing siren to go with it? Just sends people into a panic.

Ridiculous overreaction.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Was devised, I believe, to replace text messaging in the case of another pandemic/lockdown.

Fine, texting the entire population proves too slow. But do we need the f***ing siren to go with it? Just sends people into a panic.

Ridiculous overreaction.
The last time we had a lockdown it was obvious it was coming for a few weeks, didn't need my phone kicking off to let me know!

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
To be fair, if they provided an alert 30 seconds before the terrorist incident started, that would be helpful.
In certain areas yes, the area around Hebden Bridge gets that (although probably not quite as dramatic as the term flash flood would suggest). They have an air-raid siren to warn people.

To be clear, I completely agree with the gist of your post, and find it both creepy and annoying.
Edit: the alert that is, not your post.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

Could hear my ignorant neighbours coming out into the hall and chattering about it. Clearly no idea it was happening.

What in the U.K. could possibly warrant this level of scare mongering?

Forest fires? Not an issue

Earthquakes? They happen once every ten years in Yorkshire and measure about 0.001 on the Richter scale.

Terrorist attack? I don’t want my phone blaring out a signal to guide an attacker towards me thanks.

Nuclear attack? I’d rather not know thank you.

Just stop interfering in my business, my phone, my life.

The second I retire, this smart phone is being flung into the Adur. Hate the bloody things.

Nice idea until you realise you basically require one for banking these days :(

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The last time we had a lockdown it was obvious it was coming for a few weeks, didn't need my phone kicking off to let me know!
Agreed. It’s a feeble excuse.

If I was a believer in such things I’d almost think it was a form of governmental control to direct us using our own tracking devi…I mean phones.

But I’m not so I don’t 😉

Still creepy though, IMO.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
The quarries in the areas surrounding where I live use air raid sirens to warn of a rock blasting. Scared the shit out of me when I first moved here and the evil side of me quite enjoys watching newbies to the area now when it happens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here