Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How did the goalie not save Mitoma's header ....?

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Maybe it has been discussed somewhere but I haven't seen it.

Whatever angle I look at yesterday's goal, it looks as if the goalie should have saved it reasonably comfortably. It looks a bit as if he was taken by surprise by Mitoma's position and had to dive backwards quite a distance to get to the ball. But even so, it wasn't a powerful header and he didn't have far to travel. Maybe his weight was also on the wrong foot when the header was made...

Any goalies out there who can explain...?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
He started moving the other way, probably assuming the header would flick to the far post.

Did well to get a hand on it tbf.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It's all about angles, power to weight ratios, advanced quantum mechanics, and string theory.

But it's not rocket science.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Of course, heading has been identified as the one weak spot of Mitoma’s game - delighted for him.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I thought he did well to even get a hand on it, for a keeper once you step the other way you simply don’t have enough time to balance your weight to move far enough the other day way.

It’s weird to try and explain in words but anyone who has played in goal probably knows once you step one way trying to dive the opposite way is nearly impossible and you just know you can’t stop it as soon as you take the step, terrible feeling.

Unlucky Neto, his shot stopping looked quite good but he was atrocious with the ball I thought, looked like a rabbit in the headlights

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
He starts off by back peddling when the cross first comes in, then just as Mitoma heads it his weight is on the wrong foot, its only a split second but if you watch the clubs You Tube highlights, its clearly visible from the replay shown behind the goal. With the loop of Mitoma's header that probably makes it almost impossible for the keeper to now save it, he did well to get a hand on it, but because of the weight being on the wrong foot he can't get a big enough jump in to get a better hand on the ball.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
As others have said, he started off moving in the opposite direction and was back pedaling to try to get to it. If he'd changed direction a fraction of a second earlier he might well have tipped it on to the post.

I'll also add that I don't think he saw it until the last minute. His view was partially blocked by all the traffic in the box.

I wouldn't blame the keeper for that.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Anybody found the goal with Jap commentary yet?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here