Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How could we get Odsonne Édouard?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Considering West Ham and West Brom are battling it out for Duffy that seems unlikely.

We have been here before though with Celtic strikers, the standard of Scottish football is a stumbling block, especially for the big bucks.

Have to agree, he may well succeed but its a huge jump up in quality of opposition defenders. maybe Celtic/Rangers are about top championship, bottom PL level. The next best are no better than bottom half Championship, with a load more L1 level.

Harry Wilson was banging them in for fun at Derby, nowhere near as prolific last season. Jared Bowen from Hull (on fire) to West Ham (struggled). Maupay is making transition well, but he was half the alleged fee of Eduoard. You'd think a pretty rpolific PSV player (better league than Scottish) would do well here, he was a total flop and waste of money

Its another dutch league type punt - at north of 30 million I wouldn't personally. I'd take Batshuayi at much less than half that

Last edited:

Stumpy Tim

Have to agree, he may well succeed but its a huge jump up in quality of opposition defenders. maybe Celtic/Rangers are about top championship, bottom PL level. The next best are no better than bottom half Championship, with a load more L1 level.

Harry Wilson was banging them in for fun at Derby, nowhere near as prolific last season. Jared Bowen from Hull (on fire) to West Ham (struggled). Maupay is making transition well, but he was half the alleged fee of Eduoard. You'd think a pretty rpolific PSV player (better league than Scottish) would do well here, he was a total flop and waste of money

Its another dutch league type punt - at north of 30 million I wouldn't personally. I'd take Batshuayi at much less than half that

While your point is valid, you´re wrong about Bowen. He finished the season very strongly at West Ham

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I wanna be Édouard

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
There is no finished article at this level that we can afford and who will come here. 20 goals in the PL means £100k upwards a week and a feeding frenzy of the top 6. The ship has probably already sailed where Edouard is concerned. Only chance would be to go early and hard £25m opening bid type of hard. Even then the likelihood of us being outbid is high. This guy is exactly what we need, strong, joins play, scores goals, can run in behind, heading is decent as is hold up play. This boy is going to have a good career somewhere I doubt it'll be with us unfortunately.

The argument that because he plays in scotland he must be shite is ridiculous. Look at his record in Europe for example...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Hull were total bobbins last year to be fair. Finished bottom.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Sure I could agree it is not completely out of the question but I still think it is more likely he will end up in a CL club somewhere. Just like Dembele.

Didn't we back out of the Dembele deal because his agent blabbed to Sky that we were in for him, and they put it on their ticker? I seem to remember Tony Bloom being absolutely incandescent over it. I was annoyed about it, as I'd hoped we'd get him, having seen him play a few times for Fulham (if I've got the right Dembele; I know there were two, one of whom at least played for Spurs).

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I dont think he is a very realistic signing. Not as batshit crazy as those who suggest Abraham or Giroud, but still very unlikely to leave for anything less than a top 6 club.

Barber to tell him: "Join us son and your 25 goals a season and Maupay's 15 and we will be top 6" :)

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Didn't we back out of the Dembele deal because his agent blabbed to Sky that we were in for him, and they put it on their ticker? I seem to remember Tony Bloom being absolutely incandescent over it. I was annoyed about it, as I'd hoped we'd get him, having seen him play a few times for Fulham (if I've got the right Dembele; I know there were two, one of whom at least played for Spurs).

I must have missed that story. Where did you read that, is there an actual quote?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Admittedly I don't know much about Edouard, so I watched yesterdays game on the plastic pitch at Kilmarnock.
It was a rubbish game and Edouard didn't look anything special.

But in fairness all the players were made to look poor on that surface.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I must have missed that story. Where did you read that, is there an actual quote?

I may have just been told by someone; it was a fair while ago - January 2019? I thought it had been mentioned fairly extensively on here. Also, it may only have been at the enquiry stage. Not that I'm claiming to have been ITK.

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

The Moussa Dembele who played for Fulham is the one that went to Celtic then Lyon. He's French. Spurs also signed a Mousa Dembele from Fulham. That one's Belgian and is now I'm China, I believe.

Celtic have another Dembele, believe it or not. This one's not a Moussa but a Karamoko and was born in Lambeth.

Then, of course, you've got Ousmane Dembele, another Frenchman, at Barcelona.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I may have just been told by someone; it was a fair while ago - January 2019? I thought it had been mentioned fairly extensively on here. Also, it may only have been at the enquiry stage. Not that I'm claiming to have been ITK.

Never heard that - but we were linked. If that’s true it’s very interesting but find it hard to believe something so little / petty would cause TB to back out myself.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Think Bowen’s done really well at West Ham and looked at home straight away and very dangerous!

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Never heard that - but we were linked. If that’s true it’s very interesting but find it hard to believe something so little / petty would cause TB to back out myself.

I thought it sounded implausible at the time, and as you say, very unlike TB to pull out just for that reason. Perhaps I could have phrased it better: "wasn't it mentioned?" perhaps. What wouldn't surprise me is if the club were angry with the agent if we had started discussions, as we don't do our transfer business in public, unlike some other clubs.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I thought it sounded implausible at the time, and as you say, very unlike TB to pull out just for that reason. Perhaps I could have phrased it better: "wasn't it mentioned?" perhaps. What wouldn't surprise me is if the club were angry with the agent if we had started discussions, as we don't do our transfer business in public, unlike some other clubs.

I reckon there’s chairman / staff / managers etc etc at every club in every transfer window, calling agents every name under the sun - usually deserved too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here