Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How can we, as fans/customers, best voice our concerns over increasing costs to the club?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Football, whether you like it or not is a business and unless you want Brighton playing in the lower leagues we have to be run like a business as well. That doesn't mean I support what is happening at the club but the whole of football needs to be changed, all the fans together need to make a stand.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I would argue that it should be co-ordinated across multiple clubs - otherwise a) it would be construed as being directed at BHAFC solely and b) no other club would take a blind bit of notice.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
South East England....massive catchment area....if we are in the premier league the club can charge near what they want........and that is the goal of the club - to get to the PL - and then TV money is more important than fan money.

If we go up, we'll certainly be paying rather more next season

can I refer you to the post quoted above

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Very good thread this and I totally agree with the thrust being made. Brighton fans ARE being taken for granted - it's simple economics to do so - and a robust stance is crucial. And the idea of pissing off your fanbase for the sake of saving the cost some youth teamer's fortnightly salary is just stupid.

Howabout a simple refusal from fans to sign up for either the new away travel scheme or this new bus bullsh1t? Neither scheme sounds worth signing up for anyway so it would hardly be a great loss.

I don't really see how they're being taken for-granted. Aside from the issue of not disclosing the new arrangements before tickets went on sale - which I agree is quite appalling, but the end result would still be the same, people would still be asked to spend the same amount, albeit with a choice beforehand whether to or not. I would say that is the simple economics.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't really see how they're being taken for-granted. Aside from the issue of not disclosing the new arrangements before tickets went on sale - which I agree is quite appalling, but the end result would still be the same, people would still be asked to spend the same amount, albeit with a choice beforehand whether to or not. I would say that is the simple economics.
Yes, aside from that trivial matter, eh?

You wouldn't put up with that shìt in any other industry. It's disgraceful.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very good thread this and I totally agree with the thrust being made. Brighton fans ARE being taken for granted - it's simple economics to do so - and a robust stance is crucial. And the idea of pissing off your fanbase for the sake of saving the cost some youth teamer's fortnightly salary is just stupid.

Howabout a simple refusal from fans to sign up for either the new away travel scheme or this new bus bullsh1t? Neither scheme sounds worth signing up for anyway so it would hardly be a great loss.

I agree with this.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Yes, aside from that trivial matter, eh?

You wouldn't put up with that shìt in any other industry. It's disgraceful.

Agreed. There seem to be two different arguments going on here, one about disclsure and one about cost. Non disclosure is, as I said, appalling.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I don't want to galvanise a campaign. I just wanted to start a discussion on how best we as supporters could best voice our concerns over increasing cost.

There does not seem, at present, many lines of communication between fans and club over anything.

Does the Supporters Club ever feedback to the clubetc? That's a genuine question which I don't know the answer to.

Without communication it is too easy for the club to assume everyone is happy just because season ticket sales don't drop off because, perhaps, some fans are cutting back elsewhere to fund their BHAFC habit.

I don't think the club is guilty of sinisterly trying to milk our fans for their last penny but if hey have nobody telling them directly how hard some and are finding it to meet the increased cost etc, they are going to keep acting accordingly.

Do you honestly think the club officials and Board of Directors live in some sort of 'bubble'....blissfully unaware of the difficulties facing the average supporter...?

Virtually every reply I have seen from Paul Barber/the Albion is acutely aware of the many difficulties and clearly have tried to avoid unnecessary increases....just for the hell of it.

This is a club that lost £8 million pounds last year and apparently is forecast to lose a similar amount this year.

The losses are a culmination of high running costs for a fantastic stadium....and ludicrously high salaries for Championship players.

The high running costs for the Stadium are a result of a ground fit for the 21st Century and providing much of the quality facilities supporters demand. A Stadium incidentally, that we as supporters have paid very little for or nothing.

The high salaries for mere Championship standard players are driven , by the need of SUPPORTERS, demanding success on the pitch.

I cannot...under any circumstances understand any large campaign, which will target the owner and Board of Directors at this club.

How much more do you think Tony Bloom should 'donate'....?

The problem should be addressed nationally.....not locally, where every wannabbe 'save the whale ' campaigner can satisfy his lust for posing awkward questions in the misguided belief that EVERYONE can be happy ALL the time.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

It's exactly that kind of slight of hand from them that's been so patronising. I'm really struggling hard not to think that they're working on the solid assumptions that all football fans are a) stupid and b) will blindly pay up for anything, so won't notice extra charges being slipped in here and there highly dubiously. I'd love to think that wasn't the case.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
As I mentioned in another thread, I am voicing my concerns with my feet & wallet - not so much out of choice, but I have simply been priced out.

They will see from my ticket history that I have barely missed a home game for 13 years - but this season I will be attending only a handful. I usually spend around £30 on a match day, so I suppose the club won't be seeing any of that either.

I intend to compensate by attending more away games this season - and I can only speak for myself and my friends - but the club is driving away passionate, loyal and long-term fans with the recent hike in prices - We spend a lot on match days, which we will now be spending at other clubs' stadia instead, or not at all.

I don't know how to voice my concerns to the club on an individual level, if there is some sort of fan campaign I will join it, but my hope is that the club studies cases like mine and considers that it could prove to be counter productive.

Genuine question - how on earth can it be cheaper for you to buy a ticket for an away game (normally at similar prices to the Amex), pay for fuel or public transport to that game and eat and drink whilst up there?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
South East England....massive catchment area....if we are in the premier league the club can charge near what they want........and that is the goal of the club - to get to the PL - and then TV money is more important than fan money.

That may well be true, but do you seriuosly think that if we went up, we wouldn't be paying more (I use the term 'we' losely as I rarely go thesedays, so admitedly my input is less valid anyway)

I go into that category as well never been to the Amex due to illness and even if I could would not be able to afford it
and of coarse you are right the place would be full but how many of those seats would have actual Albion fans in them

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'm just amazed that people are so surprised by this. It's the way of the world, the bigger the club the worse you get treated. Just imagine how expensive it will be in the prem, prices were due to go up by another 15% minimum if we'd won the play-offs.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I would argue that it should be co-ordinated across multiple clubs - otherwise a) it would be construed as being directed at BHAFC solely and b) no other club would take a blind bit of notice.

I agree. As I have said elsewhere, I don't believe this is a Brighton problem. Our club is certainly not among the worst offenders.

But fans being priced out here should be a concern.

I am not in any way suggesting a match boycott. That is too extreme. We are a long way off that being necessary.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Do you honestly think the club officials and Board of Directors live in some sort of 'bubble'....blissfully unaware of the difficulties facing the average supporter...?

Virtually every reply I have seen from Paul Barber/the Albion is acutely aware of the many difficulties and clearly have tried to avoid unnecessary increases....just for the hell of it.

This is a club that lost £8 million pounds last year and apparently is forecast to lose a similar amount this year.

The losses are a culmination of high running costs for a fantastic stadium....and ludicrously high salaries for Championship players.

The high running costs for the Stadium are a result of a ground fit for the 21st Century and providing much of the quality facilities supporters demand. A Stadium incidentally, that we as supporters have paid very little for or nothing.

The high salaries for mere Championship standard players are driven , by the need of SUPPORTERS, demanding success on the pitch.

I cannot...under any circumstances understand any large campaign, which will target the owner and Board of Directors at this club.

The problem should be addressed nationally.....not locally, where every wannabbe 'save the whale ' campaigner can satisfy his lust for posing awkward questions in the misguided belief that EVERYONE can be happy ALL the time.

Exactly. The problem as the OP has alluded to is with football itself. Attacking the club in any way, shape or form would be completely counter productive.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

A I explained in my post you quoted, I am not trying to galvanise a campaign. I was also clear in saying the issue is with football not just Brighton.

I also said how grateful we should all be to Mr Bloom and that Mr Barber should not be the demon figure many paint him as.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As an old fashioned football purist I would say yes. Football should be accessible to all and, perhaps more importantly, just because fans will go without elsewhere in their lives or scrimp and save to fund a season ticket does not mean they should have to.

Pie in the sky ideology! So it's getting to a stage when you can't afford it. What did you do when people who couldn't afford the ticket prices at Withdean were priced out. People on minimum wages or those on shift patterns who couldn't take advantage of season tickets. Fact is this is a business whether as an old romantic you like it or not. Tony Bloom has a lot of money invested in the club and is unlikely to see any return on that unless the club get to the premier league. He is not going to relinquish that just to keep a minority of fans on NSC happy. As someone mentioned above, as long as the stadium is filling up then they they won't be too concerned financially if a few fans from the old days don't renew their season tickets. If there is a new generation to replace them so be it.

If you don't renew your ticket are you just going to rely on watching the odd live match on sky!!!

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
That point is completely wrong. I would like us to sign good players I have never demanded they be paid extortionate wages. That is the fault of agents and players.

Okay so you've never demanded they be paid a specific rate but given that there is a given market rate then you can either choose to pay it and sign the player you want or choose not to pay it and not sign the player you want. Anything else is irrelevant.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's not - but by being selective, clever with travel, drinking cans & eating on the way up - it's not a lot more expensive really. And to be honest, it's a much more enjoyable day out for the money (even if we play shit)
So is the £30 you spend after you've bought your ticket?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here