[Technology] How BIG is yours?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think the only room we don’t have a tv in is in the shithouse.
Luckily I have my IPad for these two 15 minute periods a day.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Mrs B - "so we're settled then, a 49" TV"
Bozza - "Hang on a minute"
Mrs B - "Oh no not 'them' again, can't we make one decision without them?"
B - "But but, they normally come good"
Mrs B - "They're a bunch of social misfits who you're keeping off the streets"
B - "They think the TV will magically shrink and we'll end up disappointed"
Mrs B - "see?"
B - "I think we should get the 55" TV"
Mrs B - "49" "
B - "Yes dear".

You have got a bug in his kitchen then :laugh:

D

Deleted member 2719

Get a small telly, and bigger bins.

Saving the environment.:)

Attachments

• SmartSelectImage_2020-12-23-13-43-55.jpg
    SmartSelectImage_2020-12-23-13-43-55.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 48

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
We've just constructed the 55" size out of cardboard. It just feels too big. Going to go 49".

Merry Xmas Bozza :)

This thread has got me all dewey eyed to this very day in 1976, when Chez Hart took delivery of our first ever colour TV, 20 inch Ferguson.

Size didn't matter back then.......:clap2:

Caught an old episode of the Price is Right the other day and they had someone winning a 'massive 28" TV with fast text' - I think that was from 1995.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I need to buy a new TV so my lad can have a TV (our current TV) in his room for gaming.

I just can't decide how much bigger to go than the 40" we currently have, which I appreciate is quite small by modern standards.

I know that anything bigger will, initially at least, feel humongous in comparison and I'm also aware of the "chav factor" that can come with having a massive TV.

So, I think I'm torn between 49/50" and 55". In most cases the jump in sizes of the same model is negligible additional cost which is why I'm being drawn to the 55", but I do wonder if it will be just TOO BIG.

40" has an area of 684 square inches
50" has an area of 1068 square inches (56% bigger)
55" has an area of 1293 square inches (89% bigger)

How big is yours and would you go BIGGER if you had the chance?

I bought a 55" Sony a couple of months ago, trading up from a 40". I haven't regretted it for one day. Two things. Firstly, before buying, I sellotaped pieces of A4 around the screen to take it up to 55" and gauge the impact as it's on the wall and I only sit 8' away. All good. Secondly, the industry puts most of it's effort in to 55" tv's. I chose Sony because it I like the brand and the screen technology is market leading LG. I bought from Richer Sounds because of a 6 year warranty and they agreed £100 off the tv instead of their £100 voucher off next purchase offer.
Hope that helps.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
whatever size you get, make sure you:
a. Mount it so far up the wall you look like a Meerkat staring at the departures board at Kings Cross Station
b. leave the curtains open so all your neighbours can see the size of your massive tv and the fact that you have a Sky Sports subscription.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Moved up a couple a years ago from a Sony 46 to LG65 OLED which has 4k. Best thing we did. What is important (as others have pointed out) is where you sit in relation to the TV. We have it a unit at sitting head level and we sit about 15ft/5m from the TV which is perfect for us. Hooked up to Apple TV and an Amazon Firestck. The TV has good wifi built in and plenty of HDMI ports for add on's. Also the sound is very good from the built in speaker which is a bar type along the bottom of the TV.
Wouldn't go for anything below 55/56 inch and check out Costco as well, they are very competitive with pricing. Whatever you get, enjoy!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I've never understood why people wall mount them high up, especially above a mantelpiece. Get bloody neck ache!

Ours is wall mounted at head height when sitting down for this very reason, same rules apply to PC screens so beyond me why people hang them at standing height!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I was forced to buy one at the beginning of November when our previous 36 incher died.
I only wanted about 49 inches as I thought anything else was a bit too big and, yes , possibly chavvy. Going by the Which recommendation I ended up buying a 55" LG Nanocell which, to be honest, is phenomenal. We're seated about 10 feet away from the screen and it is just right.
Not overly cheap mind you at just under a grand but, I think, well worth it. Watching the football it appears that you're just looking through a window

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports