Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] How BIG is yours?

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
LG 55" OLED on a low cabinet in the corner.
Excellent quality.
Had it for 2 years.
It replaced a 46" Panasonic.
Looked huge for for the first few days.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Even if you don’t buy your TV from a Richer Sounds shop I ALWAYS find their advice really helpful. I bought an LG 43” from them last year and it’s brilliant with all the relevant apps built in - deffo the way to go for me. Size really does relate to room size and where viewers will be sitting.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ours came with a little bottle of tippex, it was an optional extra in the small print.

That’s handy. Did it have The National anthem play at 11.15pm.... Mine hasn’t got that either............. so much for soddin extras....that’s two things my new tv hasn’t got.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] whatever you buy will look massive ostentatious and far to big for the room.

Then 2 weeks later you'll be disappointed you didn't buy the next size up as opposed to settling for this 'matchbox'.

So my advise you you is:-

Go Big & Go Home.

Wise words from the big man

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I was told by a TV repair man that most of the internal workings and chasis are made by the same company for different brand names similar to a Skoda having many VW parts.ect ect.

Aye I know what you mean ...I had a client once who made washing machines..visiting their manufacturing unit was an eye opener ....with various different brand names and the same parts....having said that Sony have a good rep. and if a person is happy with them you can’t blame them for sticking to that make...

I went for Hisense as although they may not be the best price attracted me and they did buy the Toshiba visual division so imho have a solid product

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That’s handy. Did it have The National anthem play at 11.15pm.... Mine hasn’t got that either............. so much for soddin extras....that’s two things my new tv hasn’t got.

Yes, but its the Chinese Anthem and plays at quarter past 3 in the afternoon. one hell of a job to reset it, but I can now read mandarin.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I used to have a 50 inch plasma TV, people used to come over and say it hurt their eyes. I now have a 32 inch and realise how ridiculous the big ones look. Obvs if you have a huge room fill your boots

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - I don't think you'll regret 55" as a min. [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] is correct. 1 day, maybe 2 you'll go that's big. First episode of the latest Attenborough - should have gone bigger.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yes, but its the Chinese Anthem and plays at quarter past 3 in the afternoon. one hell of a job to reset it, but I can now read mandarin.

I tried playing the mandarin...... very difficult.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - I don't think you'll regret 55" as a min. [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] is correct. 1 day, maybe 2 you'll go that's big. First episode of the latest Attenborough - should have gone bigger.

The only reason to now step away from 55" is if you can't physically fit in the room, with it there.

Now that seed is planted, oh dear lord the resentment [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] is going to have for his teeny-weeny 49" TV will be palpable.

That said the:-

'Anyone want to buy a nearly new TV' thread, in February, will be glorious.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
55" – OLED. Amazing picture, I would go bigger if I had a plain wall, but given it's angled from an alcove, it's probably a bit big as it is.

Reminds me of a bit of maths I saw with regard to Pizza sizes and how much more area you get for an extra inch in diameter compared to 2 pizzas of less diameter. i.e. a large 18" Pizza as an area of 254 sq inches whereas 2 x medium 12" pizzas has a combined area of 226 sq inches. It might only be me that sees that as relevant....

I'm liking your logic

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
It might depend on what you currently have, as in my old 40in plasma had a fairly big surround. I changed to a 50in led with a very thin surround and overall size wise it is no bigger but the screen is. I think I could probably go to 55 now but that would be it. As per above, mine is over the fireplace, see pic.

I know led /4k tv's are very cheap now but if I was to buy more, it would have to be oled or qled. Picture quality is immense.

With regard how big you can go, if there was too big, why would there be imax's? [emoji3]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mrs B - "so we're settled then, a 49" TV"
Bozza - "Hang on a minute"
Mrs B - "Oh no not 'them' again, can't we make one decision without them?"
B - "But but, they normally come good"
Mrs B - "They're a bunch of social misfits who you're keeping off the streets"
B - "They think the TV will magically shrink and we'll end up disappointed"
Mrs B - "see?"
B - "I think we should get the 55" TV"
Mrs B - "49" "
B - "Yes dear".

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Just went through this and we have a small room and we had a 50in Plasma and sat about 2.5m away from it. We've changed the room config and have now got a 75inch on one of the walls and bought a corner sofa (oohh I appear to be a Chav!!) to free up space with a viewing distance of 4m.

It all depends on your priorities and what you want from your AV experience - I've always been a bit of a nerd around AV and now we have the big telly and an AV receiver with 5.1 surround sound. A movie on a Saturday night is an infinitely more enjoyable experience, but each to their own.

I could have bought a low end Qled for our budget but would have had to go down to 65in (now sound even more Chavvy!) but a lot depends on what you will be watching as the output of the TV is only as good as the signal you pump into it. If you just watch current non 4k/HDR BBC/ITV Sky Channels then the gain on picture quality of an Qled/Oled will be marginal. If you are watching bucket loads of HDR content, then that gain will be so much larger. Don't forget all the TV's in a store are showing optimum quality pictures manipulated by the Manufacturers to get you to buy them (if I switch my TV to "Store Mode" the picture is fantastic) We are more than happy with the HDR content quality on our TV btw.

Another thing on Qled/Oled the gains are better, the bigger the TV is. That's why initially Qleds/Oleds were only produced in large panels. Think of it this way, if you watch an SD channel on Sky and the picture is cack, if you go to the menu and the SD channel goes to a small box in the corner, that picture will look infinitely better.

Buying a TV can be a complicated experience to ensure you get bang for your buck, size is just one of the considerations imho. After a couple of months, we'd quite happily go bigger than 75in, it's just that much more of an immersive experience!

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I need to buy a new TV so my lad can have a TV (our current TV) in his room for gaming.

I just can't decide how much bigger to go than the 40" we currently have, which I appreciate is quite small by modern standards.

I know that anything bigger will, initially at least, feel humongous in comparison and I'm also aware of the "chav factor" that can come with having a massive TV.

So, I think I'm torn between 49/50" and 55". In most cases the jump in sizes of the same model is negligible additional cost which is why I'm being drawn to the 55", but I do wonder if it will be just TOO BIG.

40" has an area of 684 square inches
50" has an area of 1068 square inches (56% bigger)
55" has an area of 1293 square inches (89% bigger)

How big is yours and would you go BIGGER if you had the chance?

Merry Xmas Bozza :)

This thread has got me all dewey eyed to this very day in 1976, when Chez Hart took delivery of our first ever colour TV, 20 inch Ferguson.

Size didn't matter back then.......:clap2:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
22 inches. Easily pleased.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here