Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] How BIG is yours?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Mine's currently big enough to read subtitles without glasses on. In a few years I will need a bigger TV or need to turn it up really !oud.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Went 65” earlier in the year. Very happy, makes a big difference. I would go larger next time but the room is large so swallows it up. And yes, i no longer wall mount, wise HWT has called it

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
55" – OLED. Amazing picture, I would go bigger if I had a plain wall, but given it's angled from an alcove, it's probably a bit big as it is.

Reminds me of a bit of maths I saw with regard to Pizza sizes and how much more area you get for an extra inch in diameter compared to 2 pizzas of less diameter. i.e. a large 18" Pizza as an area of 254 sq inches whereas 2 x medium 12" pizzas has a combined area of 226 sq inches. It might only be me that sees that as relevant....

Its very relevant, especially on pizza. Cost per inch is really the key measure. Square pizzas are much easier to work with. It gives me great pleasure that in Asda they break down costs of things into cost per unit so you know what is the most cost effective size of something to buy

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I need to buy a new TV so my lad can have a TV (our current TV) in his room for gaming.

I just can't decide how much bigger to go than the 40" we currently have, which I appreciate is quite small by modern standards.

I know that anything bigger will, initially at least, feel humongous in comparison and I'm also aware of the "chav factor" that can come with having a massive TV.

So, I think I'm torn between 49/50" and 55". In most cases the jump in sizes of the same model is negligible additional cost which is why I'm being drawn to the 55", but I do wonder if it will be just TOO BIG.

40" has an area of 684 square inches
50" has an area of 1068 square inches (56% bigger)
55" has an area of 1293 square inches (89% bigger)

How big is yours and would you go BIGGER if you had the chance?

Had you down as someone who would have a massive one :eek:

IMO the chav factor comes into force when you would just purchase the biggest one you can, not worrying on the quality etc.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
50” as I didn’t want the tv to dominate the lounge....but I have to ask how big is yours......lounge that is ..how far away will u be sitting etc....bought mine just before project restart and no regrets....quality of picture is great and I didn’t pay the earth

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Blimey.

We've just replaced our old 28" with a 32", and we thought that was getting a bit large!

My lad dictated our TV choice, For me the TV is the least important thing in the room and merely detracts from the rest of the furniture.

I'd ratrher sit in the music room and look at speakers making noise, or watch an oil lamp whilst listening. :mad:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
50” as I didn’t want the tv to dominate the lounge....but I have to ask how big is yours......lounge that is ..how far away will u be sitting etc....bought mine just before project restart and no regrets....quality of picture is great and I didn’t pay the earth

I'm about 3.3 meters from the TV.

Samsung say:

Viewing distance (in inches)/2 = recommended TV size.

TV in a living room at an appropriate viewing distance
For example, if you usually sit 10 feet from the TV, that's 120 inches (10 feet x 12 inches).

120/2 = 60​

So, according to this 3.3m = 130inches, so would equate to a 65 inch TV. There's no way we're going that big, but I'm still fearing that 55" will feel too big, even after we become accustomed to it.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I have the solution for you:

f84401436678cb203968db619d239662.jpg

It'll still happen!!

f84401436678cb203968db619d239662.jpg

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Samsung say:

For example, if you usually sit 10 feet from the TV, that's 120 inches (10 feet x 12 inches).

120/2 = 60​

So, according to this 3.3m = 130inches, so would equate to a 65 inch TV. There's no way we're going that big, but I'm still fearing that 55" will feel too big, even after we become accustomed to it.

I think ours is mid 50's, the sofa is about 12-14 feet away . . . . I tend to sit at the dining table over 20' away!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Ours is tiny, circa 2005ish - Hitachi 23” (actual screen size), which is now like a postage stamp - our lounge is rectangular so we’re not that far from the opposite wall - it works well enough - naturally mine is hooked up to a full analogue separates system, so when I watch my Deep Purple DVDs it’s like having Ritchie and Jon over for a wine and anthrax party.

It’s nice to rock.

I might go for a random beat club collection this evening however, from Frumpy to Amon Duul (2) it’s like a Tombola from hell, in a good way obviously.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Samsung say:

120/2 = 60​

You are approximately the same distance as i am from my tv.....65 i definitely think would be overkill...hmm..its tricky isn’t it i can see why you are dithering as said i am more than happy with the 50inch....have you tried creating the size of each tv (sheets of paper sellotaped together and hung)...to see what impact each would give.....got to be worth it considering the outlay.
As regards to brand i have been more than happy with picture and controls on my hisense

Best of luck

PS one thing i would add is that immediate impact of size does dissipate after a month ...so allow for that in your thinking..but also a tv looks good when switched on but not so brilliant when off....does that matter to you?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I thought you were talking about CHRISTMAS TREES as I have a massive one.

The telly is a "normal" 42 inches.

The GLDHI ordered one online. She ordered a 8’ tree (WTF?). The thing that turned up is 9.5’. It’s like sitting in Trafalgar Square.

TV = 42”. Could do with being a tad bigger - maybe 50”?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Samsung say:

120/2 = 60​

How big is the room? Mine’s about 19 foot by 16 and it swallows up a 65”, tv isn't the focus of the room

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Ours is tiny, circa 2005ish - Hitachi 23” (actual screen size), which is now like a postage stamp - our lounge is rectangular so we’re not that far from the opposite wall - it works well enough - naturally mine is hooked up to a full analogue separates system, so when I watch my Deep Purple DVDs it’s like having Ritchie and Jon over for a wine and anthrax party.

It’s nice to rock.

I might go for a random beat club collection this evening however, from Frumpy to Amon Duul (2) it’s like a Tombola from hell, in a good way obviously.

Indeed it is! someone mentioned 'soundbar' a while back and got a swift 'F off' . . . . our TV is hooked up to a separates system ( A&R pre/power, B&W 601S3, nothing outrageous) the one big reason being is, what gets me on the sofa is a good music show, documentary or gig. :rock:

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
Mine's currently big enough to read subtitles without glasses on. In a few years I will need a bigger TV or need to turn it up really !oud.

Just to let you know you can change subtitle size rather than have a bigger T.V.

If your eyes get increasingly worse you might end up with an odeon sized projector in the living room :)

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Indeed it is! someone mentioned 'soundbar' a while back and got a swift 'F off' . . . . our TV is hooked up to a separates system ( A&R pre/power, B&W 601S3, nothing outrageous) the one big reason being is, what gets me on the sofa is a good music show, documentary or gig. :rock:

I know, right now my music is keeping me going ... as a key worker it’s been one hell of a year :/ - indeed it has for us all!

Ours is a beefy Pioneer receiver - coupled with a lovely pair of Tannoy Mercury’s ... it certainly brings things to life!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I recently moved and got a bigger lounge so upgraded from 42" to 55". I sit about 12 feet from it. It's got all that smart TV bollocks but I have an Apple TV for most stuff and a youview box for normal telly/recording.
Mrs H said it felt a big big when it first went in but soon got used to it.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Samsung say:

120/2 = 60​

You won't. Trust me. I have a 55in and the room is only 3.5m wide so I'm probably 2.5m away from it. Don't think I went big enough. If I was in the market for a new telly I would be looking at 65in at a minimum.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I had to take our LD 4K all singing and all dancing 45in one back because when you turned it off it didnt have a tiny white dot that slowly disappeared.....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The GLDHI ordered one online. She ordered a 8’ tree (WTF?). The thing that turned up is 9.5’. It’s like sitting in Trafalgar Square.

TV = 42”. Could do with being a tad bigger - maybe 50”?

I went to Portslade Station with my daughter and asked for a 6ft one. The lad showed me one in a net and asked if I wanted to see it out of the net. We said no :facepalm:

It is 6ft 4 and wider than Gemma Collins. My daughter has named it "Norman". It takes up much of the front room.

Mrs GB is looking at upgrading the telly in the January sales so 50" is entirely possible - needs to be decent assuming Euros and Olympics go ahead this time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here