Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How big is Mitoma back in Japan

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I really think developing a global fanbase is important in helping maintain our progress. Mitomas progress along with MacAllisters heroics at the WC have really increased our profile in Asia and South America.
We've got a few fences to mend with South Africa and the middle east then!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We were discussing this in the pub yesterday. Mate said there was a Japanese camera crew filming and even they were loaded up with bags from the club shop.

I hope they are getting their tickets through the official channels and not getting ripped off on these re-sale sites.
I imagine PBOBE is VERY keen for positive press exposure in Asia……..

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Japanese players in the PL haven't been too common, Soton had Maya Yoshida.

Mitoma is rapidly reaching superstar status
I wonder what impact the Japanese players at Celtic have had back in Japan - Celtic might play in a noddy league, but Celtic is still a well known global brand.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
When I got off the train at Southampton on Saturday night there were a couple of Japanese girls on the platform. As I passed them I said “Mitoma!” with a thumbs up sign. They looked at me as if I was a complete idiot - they were right
I tried that here in Brazil and the girls just ran.
I later found out that Me Toma in Portuguese means take me.
Maybe it does in Southampton too :lol:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I expect Sushi and Asahi (I can help with that one) to be available in the concourses at the next game.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Do you see any coverage on Japanese tv or news?
I don't have a TV so I can't say with any confidence how much coverage he is getting but I saw his goal against Liverpool played on the tv news on the train. I'm not sure of that makes sense - some of the train lines have tv/video screens on them that cycle through basic news. His goal was on that.

I can say that within the circles I keep he's becoming more and more well known. I asked a group of 6 year olds the other day who their favourite Japanese player was and the majority went with Mitoma. Likewise people who have had very little interest in Brighton or Japanese players have started talking about him. So if 6 year olds and non afficionado's are getting on the Mitoma train then it's probably fair to say his star is definitely rising.

Also, all our games are streamed thanks to him.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I work with a comedy duo that live in Japan. (One is Japanese, and one is English (United Fan)) They say he is massive out there, and is THE star of Japanese football. No only because of him as a player, but also because of his outlook on life.

We have a real star on our hands.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here