Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How bent is boxing

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Don't watch much boxing, but thought I'd watch this one because I'd heard of Beltran - he's a top baseball star - so expected he'd get marmalised in Glasgow.

And he did, didn't he? Worst decision since the Judge Jeffries business.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
It was a bad result, even Jim Watt and Alex Arthur where shocked, and the silent crowd after goes to show who they thought won. Beltran gave a very classy interview after the fight though, and earned himself some new fans in the UK.

I had Ricky losing by atleast 2 rounds, regardless of having a broken jaw and being brave, Beltran gave him the broken jaw and Ricky still lost, being brave is irrelevant, he fought like sh!t.

Im sure Ricky wont retire though, and its a shame his mandatory is Crawford, which means Beltran wont get the rematch he deserves.

D

Deleted member 18477

And that's why boxing is on it's arse!

No one was moaning about boxing when Froch v Kessler 2 happened a little while back...

I personally think boxing is still a great sport. Cant wait for Haye v Fury!

Haye will smash him to pieces.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The sport is a joke.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
It was a bad result, even Jim Watt and Alex Arthur where shocked, and the silent crowd after goes to show who they thought won. Beltran gave a very classy interview after the fight though, and earned himself some new fans in the UK.

I had Ricky losing by atleast 2 rounds, regardless of having a broken jaw and being brave, Beltran gave him the broken jaw and Ricky still lost, being brave is irrelevant, he fought like sh!t.

Im sure Ricky wont retire though, and its a shame his mandatory is Crawford, which means Beltran wont get the rematch he deserves.

I have a feeling Crawford will eat Burns alive. He might as well retire.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm not a boxing FAN as such but I'll watch the big fights when on Fight Night and even I was in SHOCK at the decision.

I had to double check with my mate that I was correct to be in shock, and he confirmed I was.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Probably, I cant believe how poor Burns has been last two fights, he needs to go back to his boxing and stop trying to impressive the fans wanting to his a slug fest.

I like Burns, he is one of the good guys. But he isn't world class. Hearn made sure he didn't fight Adrian Broner when he was bossing the lightweight division and basically fed Burns domestic/borderline European level fighters. Not unlike Nathan Cleverly who has also just been badly exposed.

Talk is Burn's broken jaw might end his career, which would be very sad. If he does pull through then personally if like to see him vacatate his belt, go up to light welter, get a few easy wins and maybe try and get Amir Kahn to take a big money Battle of Britain fight.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I like Burns, he is one of the good guys. But he isn't world class. Hearn made sure he didn't fight Adrian Broner when he was bossing the lightweight division and basically fed Burns domestic/borderline European level fighters. Not unlike Nathan Cleverly who has also just been badly exposed.

Talk is Burn's broken jaw might end his career, which would be very sad. If he does pull through then personally if like to see him vacatate his belt, go up to light welter, get a few easy wins and maybe try and get Amir Kahn to take a big money Battle of Britain fight.

Agree burns isn't world class , can't see him stepping up a weight as is naturally small while khan the opposite. Good few domestic fights out there though.

Cleverly can come again, it's true he has been wrapped in cotton wool but as such he had no where to go than fight kolavov. No disgrace getting sparked by him as he is up there with the best at the moment. Was a dangerous fight to take. He can come again a different route if he desired though. Noises from him suggest he has lost heart a bit though. He isn't stupid so may elect for the fact he has made his money and run.

Mayweather fight and Garcia this weekend is a great double header

Terrible decision for burns and happens and has always happened but boxing is still one of the best sports there is. Loads of great fights out there . Domestically is exciting as well. Future also good as we have loads of fighters coming through that I reckon will battle it out world level in few years time.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Agree burns isn't world class , can't see him stepping up a weight as is naturally small while khan the opposite. Good few domestic fights out there though.

Cleverly can come again, it's true he has been wrapped in cotton wool but as such he had no where to go than fight kolavov. No disgrace getting sparked by him as he is up there with the best at the moment. Was a dangerous fight to take. He can come again a different route if he desired though. Noises from him suggest he has lost heart a bit though. He isn't stupid so may elect for the fact he has made his money and run.

Mayweather fight and Garcia this weekend is a great double header

Terrible decision for burns and happens and has always happened but boxing is still one of the best sports there is. Loads of great fights out there . Domestically is exciting as well. Future also good as we have loads of fighters coming through that I reckon will battle it out world level in few years time.

Burns is huge for a lightweight! He could move up to light welter quite easily in my view. That said he doesn't have much power even at lightweight so he would struggle against heavy hitters in that division - of which there are plenty. Kahn is moving up to welterweight anyway so I'm not going to see that fight anyway...

Agree with the rest though. I'm more looking forward to Mathysse vs Garcia more than Mayweather vs Canelo.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
Boxing has always been a sport where home advantage means you know the judges will find any reason for the home town hero to win. There is too much money to be lost for a few 'big named people' in the sport to allow visiting boxer to win save if there is a knock out can't argue with. Burns is a decent fighter but he was outclassed throughout and broken jaw or not, he never looked like winning that fight. The Mexican was never going to be knocked out, he was granite jawed, punched hard and purely on boxing skills alone, looked far more accomplished. A travesty (and you know it is when even the home fans look and sound embarrassed at the result) but probably not the worst (dodgiest) decision ever seen or will see. Burns needs to retire, if he went to America and fought there he'd get battered senseless and he sounds too nice a bloke to see that happen to him.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
As previous posters have said, its been happening for a very long time. Any sport with a lot of money sloshing around will attract the worst elements of society.
Sonny Liston was the prime example of a boxer managed and controlled by the 'Mob ' The two fights with Clay/Ali were dubious in the extreme, with Liston's 64 second capitulation in the second, beyond a joke. ( He even told his own wife that he was going down in the first! )
When Henry Cooper fought Joe Bugner in his last fight he won by a country mile. All the pundits agreed apart from Harry Gibbs, the referee, who gave it to Bugner. Clearly a fix. The young pretender had more to gain than the old retiring champion. The trouble was..the British public never forgave Bugner.
And so on..until present day. They are still fixing fights and still getting away with it. Every time it happens it leaves a smell which never quite goes away
Boxing is spoilt by those who run it. The promoters and managers. Spivs and undesirables. Hustlers and crooks. All the good work that the ' straight ' ones do is undone by the ' not so straight '

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here